building an outdoor enclosure, finally!

vindicatedornot

Sooo, ever since I got off work today I've been working my butt off in the HOT sun building a new cage for Fry to play in outside.

Its 4'x4'x6'. I still have a lot of work to do, but I feel like it was a nice start for today.

PICT0001.jpg

This was just the frame. I used 2x4's and 4x4's. had to add a crap load of corner braces. Some heavy wood there...

PICT0002-1.jpg

An added support bar. I'm going to put a shelf on these.

PICT0004.jpg

And this is the where I stopped lol. I made a frame for the door and put it on 3 hinges. That wood for the door kept wanting to give out on me, but i said NO. lol. I added little snappy things(like for cabinets) on the bottom and top to keep it shut also. And a nifty handle for the front. Going to add a lock on the side of the door and the shelf for some little potted plants to go. The left over wood from the shelf will be made into a removable cover for the top. (it would be on top covering half the cage for shade)

Please tell me what you think! It was very, very hard lol. I'm afraid of chopping my fingers off all the time XD

Now I need to buy some wire and some type of sealant. Any suggestions for either? I wanted to get vinyl covered wire but it wasnt available 4ft long. Is it ok just to use metal? I'm going to paint it too. (before anything else) Stupid home depo wrote crap on half my wood. Me no likey.

-Andrea

Wow Andrea.. I totally don't like the fact that your outdoor enclosure is bigger then mine...:cool::D

I am going to need to make a 8'x8'x12' one now....:p

hahaha... j/k

I looks fantastic!! can't wait to see the finished product!! Great work!!:):)

-Jay

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah... This is not my Batman glass.

Kidding aside, that cage is going to be awesome!

For outdoor cages, I would recommend something more durable than water based protective finish. Like a varnish of some sort would be a betetr choice. Just make sure it cures completely (at least a week) before moving chams in. As anoter option, you could prime then latex paint the enclosure.

I'd also recommend plastic coated wire hardware cloth to prevent critters from chewing or busting in to the enclosure. You might want to install the hardware cloth outside of the enclosure and have a screen in the inside to prevent unwanted bugs to get eaten. (Mean wasps etc..)

You could remove the home depo vandalism text before sealing/painting.

Good luck,
V

Thanks for your input and comments!

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah... This is not my Batman glass.

I laughed. hard. family guy is forever..

Kidding aside, that cage is going to be awesome!

For outdoor cages, I would recommend something more durable than water based protective finish. Like a varnish of some sort would be a betetr choice. Just make sure it cures completely (at least a week) before moving chams in. As anoter option, you could prime then latex paint the enclosure.

I was probably going to paint it and then use the varnish over it to make it look all nice and glossy. I'll definately let it cure for a long time. It's too hot to have Fry outside right now anyways.

I'd also recommend plastic coated wire hardware cloth to prevent critters from chewing or busting in to the enclosure. You might want to install the hardware cloth outside of the enclosure and have a screen in the inside to prevent unwanted bugs to get eaten. (Mean wasps etc..)

that's a really good idea. I'll have to look around. I won't be leaving him outside unattended so I'm not toooooo worried about critters like rats or whatever. I am afraid of birds and wasps however. Would the hardware cloth block any UV? Or was that just a dumb question? =P

And yes jay. You need to build an outdoor chameleon mansion for the mellers I know you dream about.

-Andrea

A dumb question is the unasked one.

A hardware cloth will not block any uv due to the gaps between the wires. It's more like a study net and nothing like a cloth. Screen material blocks some but not enough to diminish the Sun's benefits on a clear day.

A dumb question is the unasked one.

A hardware cloth will not block any uv due to the gaps between the wires. It's more like a study net and nothing like a cloth. Screen material blocks some but not enough to diminish the Sun's benefits on a clear day.

oh well that sounds great. Should I put that on the inside or outside(of the wider screen)? Fry likes to try and climb the screen so i was wanting something his nails wouldnt get caught in.

oh well that sounds great. Should I put that on the inside or outside(of the wider screen)? Fry likes to try and climb the screen so i was wanting something his nails wouldnt get caught in.

I would put the smaller mesh screen on the inside: hardware cloth has large gaps, and a cat or other creature could possibly hook an unsuspecting cham with a claw if the cham was clinging to the wire. If the screen is inside the hardware cloth, there's no chance your cham will be able to contact the outside layer. Plus, I've had neighbor's cats tear up my screen cages (just like they would do to window screen), but hardware cloth is cat-proof.

Good luck! It looks fabulous so far :)

I would put the smaller mesh screen on the inside: hardware cloth has large gaps, and a cat or other creature could possibly hook an unsuspecting cham with a claw if the cham was clinging to the wire. If the screen is inside the hardware cloth, there's no chance your cham will be able to contact the outside layer. Plus, I've had neighbor's cats tear up my screen cages (just like they would do to window screen), but hardware cloth is cat-proof.

Good luck! It looks fabulous so far :)

Thank you for your input! Would this cloth be at home depot or ace hardware? I need it to be 4ft wide at least.

There really isn't a lot of cats around the neigborhood but the birds are numerous. We have possums and even raccoons too on occasion so I still want all the precautions. So I put the metal screen with large gaps on first, and then the hardware cloth on top of that?

I don't think he will be on the actual screen very much, but I want it able for him to safely climb anyways. He's a little explorer.

Does anyone recommend planting a tree in the ground under the cage? Or would it be better to keep it in a pot? So far I'm leaning towards the pot.

-Andrea

Hardware cloth is a metal wire product - the name is a little misleading. Here's a link to one type, but you can buy it in different mesh sizes and in different widths and lengths:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100322445

This one happens to be coated in PVC plastic to make it rust proof. I would use the hardware cloth on the outside of the cage, and a window-screen like product on the inside (closer to the chameleon).

Hardware cloth is a metal wire product - the name is a little misleading. Here's a link to one type, but you can buy it in different mesh sizes and in different widths and lengths:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100322445

This one happens to be coated in PVC plastic to make it rust proof. I would use the hardware cloth on the outside of the cage, and a window-screen like product on the inside (closer to the chameleon).

ahh alright. Sorry for misunderstanding. I thought it would be like a tightly squared screen. I'm going to look for some today. I hope it's not expensive >_< Thank you for your help.

PICT00082.jpg

blood, sweat, and tears went into this cage. More blood and sweat than anything.

There is a shelf on the back support beam for smaller plants like pothos and spider plants. You can see it on the video.

Planting the hibiscus in it tomorrow. I can't wait to use it.

-Andrea

sorry to double post

here are some estimates...

wood, screws, metal features(brackets, hinges, lock, handle, etc.): 150$

hardware cloth: 60$ total (a 4'x25' cost 41$ and we had to buy another small roll to screen the top)

paint and primer: 40$

creepy owl: 20$

total: around 270$

getting stabbed, scratched, burned, and sunburned: priceless.

here are some estimates...

wood, screws, metal features(brackets, hinges, lock, handle, etc.): 150$

hardware cloth: 60$ total (a 4'x25' cost 41$ and we had to buy another small roll to screen the top)

paint and primer: 40$

creepy owl: 20$

total: around 270$

getting stabbed, scratched, burned, and sunburned: priceless.

Great job on the cage. The owl is a freaken good idea. I sorta had a different and more brute approach. There was a gang of blue jays bothering my babies so my childhood fantesies kicked in and the BB gun did a job well done. MILLER TIME.

Maybe I will go with the owl next time...:D

Cage looks awesome!! But is there a bottom on it?? I'm guessing the pad lock is to keep unwanted humans out but what's the point if all someone has to is tip the cage over. Plus the risk of an animal digging under the frame to get at your cham. Not raggin on ya, just playing devil's advocate:D I'm sure Fry is gonna love all of that room in there:)

Seriously great job on the cage. Really making me think I should play "man of the house" and go and do man stuff. Maybe I'll work on my Chevy, drink beer, and then build a huge cage like that. I'll spit and curse and scratch too...

Okay maybe I'll just draw up some plans and think about one day building one.

Cage looks awesome!! But is there a bottom on it?? I'm guessing the pad lock is to keep unwanted humans out but what's the point if all someone has to is tip the cage over. Plus the risk of an animal digging under the frame to get at your cham. Not raggin on ya, just playing devil's advocate:D I'm sure Fry is gonna love all of that room in there:)

nah no bottom. He won't be unsupervised when he's in there, and never left overnight. I thought about it too.

The lock is more or less to keep my boyfriends neices out. As long is fry is in that cage, i Will be right there. Plus that thing is freaking HEAVY.

Thanks for your concern though. And thanks for all the compliments. I'm happy I built it, and didn't wimp out and have my dad build it. Of course if he did, it'd be 12 feet tall and have a hemi.. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom