Building an enclosure from scratch?

Char.claugh

I got a 5 month old veiled Cham about a week ago and was informed I’d been sold an enclosure that is too small. So if anyone has ever built an enclosure from scratch before and would like to help me out here’s what I’d like to know :

• what is a good durable wood to use that will withstand the humidity.

•I’m based in the uk (very cold) will screen be okay to hold humidity levels or am I better off with glass ? Also is there a specific ‘screen’ or will it just come up on google? I don’t know what to look for.

•what do I put on the bottom ? Would that just be wood too ?

•what live plants will be good to fill up a big enclosure and how do I go about that?

Just any advise on how to make it the best for him would be appreciated.

I got a 5 month old veiled Cham about a week ago and was informed I’d been sold an enclosure that is too small. So if anyone has ever built an enclosure from scratch before and would like to help me out here’s what I’d like to know :

• what is a good durable wood to use that will withstand the humidity.

•I’m based in the uk (very cold) will screen be okay to hold humidity levels or am I better off with glass ? Also is there a specific ‘screen’ or will it just come up on google? I don’t know what to look for.

•what do I put on the bottom ? Would that just be wood too ?

•what live plants will be good to fill up a big enclosure and how do I go about that?

Just any advise on how to make it the best for him would be appreciated.
Lots of us have. If you go to the Enclosures and Supplies subforum you'll find a sticky message at the top. Many many threads with ideas about DIY cages to give you ideas and answer these very basic questions.

Whatever wood you use will tolerate moisture as long as its properly sealed.

You can start off with a basic screen sided enclosure but design it so you can add removable sheet plastic or rigid plastic or plexiglass panels over the screen. That is my personal preference. It tends to be easier to close in a screen cage than to open up a totally solid sided terrarium. That way you can adjust things as conditions seem to dictate. Unless you have a local supplier of larger part screen part glass terrariums than the one you already have, you may be limited to DIY.

Lots of us have. If you go to the Enclosures and Supplies subforum you'll find a sticky message at the top. Many many threads with ideas about DIY cages to give you ideas and answer these very basic questions.

Whatever wood you use will tolerate moisture as long as its properly sealed.

You can start off with a basic screen sided enclosure but design it so you can add removable sheet plastic or rigid plastic or plexiglass panels over the screen. That is my personal preference. It tends to be easier to close in a screen cage than to open up a totally solid sided terrarium. That way you can adjust things as conditions seem to dictate. Unless you have a local supplier of larger part screen part glass terrariums than the one you already have, you may be limited to DIY.
Thankyou !! I didn’t even see that forum.

20200322_105152.jpg

That is a base i made from it very sturdy.

I picked up a curio cabinet that was free and sealed the wood, had my husband install screen doors on the 3 open sides, decorated the back piece with wood and builders foam, lights were already installed in it. It took 2 weeks for me to get it how i wanted it, but it was pretty inexpensive to do this way.

Back
Top Bottom