Building a tree...

I think your my idol right now :) hahaha this is going to bee the most amazing cage when finished :eek: when my cham gets bigger im gonna make a cage aiming after yours :rolleyes:

Well, here we are! Updated photo's of the almost finished trees!

I only want to put a few more small branches in here and there, but other than those, I am really pleased with how in turned out (well, excluding the string!)

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

And a close up of one of the joints:

IMG_0969.jpg

It's hard to try and imagine where the plants will go in between the branches, but where you see the gaps, that is where they'll slot in. I cannot wait to get the plants and vines in as it's going to fill out so much!

If anyone fancies trying it I cannot stress how easy it has been! Please do ask any questions if you have any!

If I were to do it again, I think I would make the bases slightly differently, making a much larger tripod with feet for greater stability. This would not be as simple however and would take quite a bit of thought!

Sadly tomorrow this will all come down (after labelling up all of the pieces) as I now need to start treating the main enclosure and fitting the aluminium screen. This should take around a week I guess, but by the end it will be a 100% finished enclosure. I will probably start a new thread for it, so keep your eyes peeled! {well, I'll probably put a link in this thread anyway so you'll get an alert if subscribed}

Cheers all! Happy building!
Job well done so far! Looks like you gotta nice project in your hands and I'm sure your cham will be greatly pleased:) can't wait to see finished results.

Thank you both very much!

I promised myself that I would leave it alone today, but I really couldn't! lol!

I put the final 'small branches' in today, using a slightly different method that involved cutting smaller holes and gluing nails into the branches so they could be hammered into place. This also worked well, but would never give the strength required for a large branch.

I also managed to pick up a 6' pothos for £15 today (I have literally been into this shop for weeks waiting for one to be on offer, and today I was going to buy one anyway and there it was! 50% just this one plant! Amazing!) Anyway, I've put it in place (roughly where it will be) as it gives some scale to the whole enclosure (aka massive!).

Enjoy:

DSCF1002.jpg

DSCF1005.jpg

DSCF1006.jpg

p.s - ignore the old dryer! :p It may end up like this soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lIR2NKY98c

Thanks for looking!

p.s - no more pictures now till it is finished (don't want to spoil the big reveal!!!)

Good lord thats a pothos? lol, i dont blame you for working on more today. With a project like that i dont think id be able to sleep just thinkin about it. sounds really fun:)

Good lord thats a pothos? lol, i dont blame you for working on more today. With a project like that i dont think id be able to sleep just thinkin about it. sounds really fun:)

It's terrible though, I get in from work, sit down/relax a bit, then start doing bits around 23:00 until 01:00 then wake up the next morning thinking I'm really tired for some reason! :p

Tomorrow will be the day it comes down and the final steps get under way! :D

Then, the next project will start.... (I'm going to try my hands at frogs)

Well, the enclosure is now varnished (well, it was last night at 2am... I just wanted to get it finished) so I doubt I will be able to build it now until midweek (to allow the varnish to fully dry). Never mind, only a few more days! :D

That looks very cool. I've wanted to build a tree set up like that for a while now. Just trying to figure out the design for now.

looks awsome so far. i bet your cham will love haveing so many diffrent places to bask ect. makes me want to do something like that!

I just can't wait to get it finished! I went to complete the enclosure today but I was short on aluminium screen, so I couldn't! I was so gutted! Now I've got to wait a few days to get it delivered (not having anywhere to source it easily in the UK) so it won't be ready until next week {hopefully the middle of this one if it arrives on time} so we'll all have to wait for some updated photos.

nice job, I usually buy pre mad jungle gyms then take them apart and build them again to make them actually look nice. I was actually just planning on doing a large scale jungle gym for my outside tanks. Keep us posted! Again good job, nice to see the pics.

Back
Top Bottom