building a new cage...light issues and questions

I have my basking dome resting on two pieces of 1x2 mdf.
It houses a 100 watt bulb and has been this way for several months with no problem.

-Brad

Are you using pet screen on the top of your cage, Brad? I haven't had a lot of success with heat lamps and pet screen...

Do you mean "right on it" as in laying the uva light dome directly on the pet screen? If so, I agree and wasnt planning on letting the dome rest on it like that. Instead, I was going to use some low blocks to rest the dome on so it doesnt burn or melt the mesh. But maybe it'll still do something "bad" to the wood? :confused: ...thanks again.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I haven't had any problems with the UVB light burning the mesh, but heat lamps do a number on it.

Heika

I'm not exactly sure what my screen is Heika.
It is fabric and is intended for window and door screen.
I'll have to check next time I'm at Home Depot (probably today:) ).
I know it's not fiberglass. I was careful to make sure of that.
I should explain too that I built the top frame with cross pieces designed (crudely) to
support the lights I use. The screen is attached on the interior so there is approx. two inches between
the top screen and where the lights are resting.
Does that make sense?

-Brad

Last edited:
Thanks Brad and Heika,

I will def have some sort of "spacer" between the mesh and basking light dome, like you do Brad. Hopefully Roo's uvb test thru the pet screen works so I dont have to back track with materials. You just cant win with this stuff! :p

By the way, I finally go the cage pictures up, and a picture of my little guy after his 3rd shed. The link to my gallery is below. Thanks guys.

Jim

https://www.chameleonforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1680&c=3

Hey Jim,

You have the start of what is going to be a beautiful cage. Nice work.

What is the pan you are using?

Heika

Thanks Heika, the pan is just something I searched for on the internet and then found at a local hydroponics shop in stock here in Maryland.

Jim

Jim that looks great!
Everytime I see someone else's enclosure they're building
I start designing a new one in my head for Kitty.

-Brad

Haha! I know what your saying Brad.... The mind just runs with so many ideas and that makes it hard to pick-and-choose which way to take the design!:D

Jim

Last edited:
Here are the UV readings from all the different materials I had laying around. I used a relatively new 5.0 bulb.

Readings are in uW/cm2

Bulb with no material: 190
Reptarium: 58
Pet screen: 58
Aluminum screen: 112
Plastic screen mesh very much like the aluminum: 107

-roo

Hello Roo, at what distance was that?

I wonder if each material is different in their diffusion at the mesh point and in distance...... IE. Reptarium and Petscreen both block out a lot of light with the meter on the material, but at 8" or so from the material, is one better than the other?

I wonder if each material is different in their diffusion at the mesh point and in distance...... IE. Reptarium and Petscreen both block out a lot of light with the meter on the material, but at 8" or so from the material, is one better than the other?

It was roughly an inch and your right I should do it at eight inches or so. Next weekend when I have more time I will do it again. I need to set things up better to so that the meter is fixed and not in my hand. The meter is sensitive and the slightest movement can make a difference.

-roo

Thanks for taking the time to do that Roo.

Wow, thats serious uvb blockage! I'll be waiting to see what your next test brings. Out of curiosity, is there anyway to take the results you just found with the 5.0 bulb and the screens, and apply them to what is known about 10.0 tubes?...Thanks again.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom