Bug shortage

Haley Hendrix

Avid Member
Hi everybody. So after texas and it’s snow storm there haven’t been any delivery trucks so i haven’t gotten the bugs i ordered weeks ago. Petsmart(last resort) is all out as well. I had feeders until tuesday. I reordered some other bugs and they should be here wednesday. What should i do in the meantime?

Just received my cricket order from Ghann's Cricket Farm. Completely unexpected since the Memphis FedEx hubs suspended all shipments. They did not ship when I ordered due to FedEx suspension but waited until they somehow received the go ahead. All crickets are alive and healthy.

Hi everybody. So after texas and it’s snow storm there haven’t been any delivery trucks so i haven’t gotten the bugs i ordered weeks ago. Petsmart(last resort) is all out as well. I had feeders until tuesday. I reordered some other bugs and they should be here wednesday. What should i do in the meantime?
Did any of the pet stores have any feeders at all...supers, wax worms, even meal worms in a pinch? You could also check feed stores...they sometimes sell mealworms and stuff.

Haley he will be fine to go a week without. Granted he may not be happy about it. You can try looking within your local reptile community. You may find someone that has a colony that you can get a dozen feeders off of. For example there are a few reptile groups for my area on facebook.

Also keep checking big box stores... They get their feeders in from different sources and they regularly get shipments. Find out when they have one scheduled to come in.

Have you looked at any of the sporting good stores (sorry if that is a big box store terms change over the years)? Pro Bass and others usually keep something in their fridge for the fishermen that never stop fishing (no matter what the weather is). If not, what kind of chameleon do you have? My Veileds will eat veggies when hungry and I have read somewhere a person had a Panther eat some veggies (last resort type of stuff). Just make sure he or she is drinking plenty of water. I keep frozen crickets in freezer for emergency situations like this but then again I tweezer feed a lot (my therapy life line). Ha ha
Best of luck!

FYI: Since the pandemic, I have learned and breed crickets, superworm (slow growers), mealworms- a few different species and sizes (did not know there were micro meals all the way up to giants, all being different) along with fruit flies. I guess boredom used to its potential.
1# Fruit flies
2# mealworms
3# crickets laying eggs
4# cricket eggs (about 5000 hatched 13 days later)
5#Superworm separation container- they have to be alone to morph into beetles.
6# In the middle (looks like grain of rice but 1/4 the size) baby superworm 20 to 30 days after beetles hatched.
Sorry! I am educator and can't break the habit of over sharing.

Attachments

• PXL_20210108_204751735 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210108_204751735 (1).jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20210108_204458492.jpg
    PXL_20210108_204458492.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200925_143551.jpg
    IMG_20200925_143551.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200925_143601.jpg
    IMG_20200925_143601.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20200926_204723 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200926_204723 (1).jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20201004_200844.jpg
    IMG_20201004_200844.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Haley he will be fine to go a week without. Granted he may not be happy about it. You can try looking within your local reptile community. You may find someone that has a colony that you can get a dozen feeders off of. For example there are a few reptile groups for my area on facebook.

Also keep checking big box stores... They get their feeders in from different sources and they regularly get shipments. Find out when they have one scheduled to come in.
okay good, i’ve still been feeding him every other day because he’s on the small side.

Have you looked at any of the sporting good stores (sorry if that is a big box store terms change over the years)? Pro Bass and others usually keep something in their fridge for the fishermen that never stop fishing (no matter what the weather is). If not, what kind of chameleon do you have? My Veileds will eat veggies when hungry and I have read somewhere a person had a Panther eat some veggies (last resort type of stuff). Just make sure he or she is drinking plenty of water. I keep frozen crickets in freezer for emergency situations like this but then again I tweezer feed a lot (my therapy life line). Ha ha
Best of luck!

FYI: Since the pandemic, I have learned and breed crickets, superworm (slow growers), mealworms- a few different species and sizes (did not know there were micro meals all the way up to giants, all being different) along with fruit flies. I guess boredom used to its potential.
1# Fruit flies
2# mealworms
3# crickets laying eggs
4# cricket eggs (about 5000 hatched 13 days later)
5#Superworm separation container- they have to be alone to morph into beetles.
6# In the middle (looks like grain of rice but 1/4 the size) baby superworm 20 to 30 days after beetles hatched.
Sorry! I am educator and can't break the habit of over sharing.
Bass pro shop is what our is called. But, no i haven’t checked them out. Thank you for that idea. I’ll look into it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom