Buffet...

"...what?"
comic0va.jpg

Thought Id share a hornworm photo.

"SQUIRT" I swear hornworms pop when the chameleon bites down on them. I have to stand 3 feet away. Nice pics, Willy...that chameleon is shedding in like every pic I've seen of him.

Thats when hes at his best. :) I find that silks literally "pop" more, but the hornworms gurgle and squirt out their fluids... from both ends. Too many times have I gotten silk juice in the eye...

happy6zl.jpg

Nice pics! The first time I gave my cham a superworm, it bit into it and it squirted out some juice, right onto my 3 year old who was standing at my feet. She said "Ewwww!" and ran out of the room. :p

Haha. True.

He is a Reb Bar Ambilobe. Supposedly the red barred variant, as opposed to blue bars, come from the northern side of ambilobe, nearer to where the Diego Suarez local is found. This male is a WC.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have a red bar also, but he's still young (8 months), and I'm still learning the difference between all the types.

Will,
Your cham is gorgeous.

When you feed hornworms, how many do you feed in a sitting (as opposed to feeding crickets that day?) Also, since they are fairly large do you just put them on a branch for your cham to find?
Thanks,
Matthew

MWheelock said:
Will,
Your cham is gorgeous.

When you feed hornworms, how many do you feed in a sitting (as opposed to feeding crickets that day?) Also, since they are fairly large do you just put them on a branch for your cham to find?
Thanks,
Matthew
Much thanks Matthew.

Hornworms bite. Very hard I might add, and it's enough to make you bleed, or a chameleon bruise. So it's always safest to put the hornworm on a branch and let the chameleon position themselves so that when they eat it, there is less chance that the worm can bite them. I have heard some very very worrying stories of hornworms clamping onto the chameleons tounge section after being swallowed.

I only feed hornworms once and a while because of their high price tag. And I always let them gro to 4-5 inches to make it worth my while. I feed as many as he will eat as I am trying to bulk this male up. If any of the other chameleons in my collection get them, I only give one.

Hope that answerd you correctly. Let me know what else I can tell.

Will Hayward said:
Hornworms bite. Very hard I might add, and it's enough to make you bleed, or a chameleon bruise. So it's always safest to put the hornworm on a branch and let the chameleon position themselves so that when they eat it, there is less chance that the worm can bite them. I have heard some very very worrying stories of hornworms clamping onto the chameleons tounge section after being swallowed.

Does that mean that when you put them on a branch, you have them facing away from where the cham is? Not to sound like a dork, but do the hornworms have teeth? Pinchers? Can you take a close up pic? I'm just being curious.

The chameleon usually positions itself in a tactical location. Usually grabbing just behind the "Head" section of the hornworm. The first crushing bite hopefully damages the head portion.

I don't have any worms on my now, so heres a google:
DSCN4135s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom