Bucket water heater safe?

taz_s_824

Hi all,

My chameleon is dehydrated and I suspect it's because of the water not staying hot throughout the day. I also especially need it for winter. I was thinking of getting one of these and using it with a timer.

Portable Water Heater Coil Aluminum Hot Water Heater (1000 Watts) by GCG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PFZFK78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_CbJFzb9PMCQW8

Allied Precision The Premier Line 742G Bucket Water Heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BDB4UG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_VbJFzbRHZDJQG

Have any of you tried this? Do you think it's safe since something like this can bring the water to a boil? This is why I wanted to use a timer to use 30 mins before each misting session starts.

Because he runs away from the water. He is dehydrated and doesn't even drink off of the leaves anymore. This is why he's with my vet now. But either way, I'll need something during winter when it gets to be 20-30 degrees Fahrenheit.

But I doubt the temp is your issue
IMG_0625.PNG

I think for the most part water heaters are a waste of time. If you think of it, for water to stay warm has to be consolidated or in a container. This is why water heaters do work to heat the water in a reservoir. However, most misters pray such fine droplets of water that any heat that is stored is lost almost instantly when the water molecule hits the air. I'm sure there is a more scientific explanation about heat loss vs mass of water but I think you get my meaning. Unless the water you are using is like ice water, then I don't think a water heater makes all that much difference. At least in my climate.

I think for the most part water heaters are a waste of time. If you think of it, for water to stay warm has to be consolidated or in a container. This is why water heaters do work to heat the water in a reservoir. However, most misters pray such fine droplets of water that any heat that is stored is lost almost instantly when the water molecule hits the air. I'm sure there is a more scientific explanation about heat loss vs mass of water but I think you get my meaning. Unless the water you are using is like ice water, then I don't think a water heater makes all that much difference. At least in my climate.
The water in my resovior is always 95 degrees and it is defiantly NOT 95 when it comes out of my mist king. However their is a notable increase in temp vs no heater at all. I'll measure it tomorrow. But back to the subject at hand here, Taz, I think we have another vote here for the "Temp is not your issue" team.

How are you misting the cage?

Hand misters usually spray larger droplets which could annoy the cham which is why almost all keepers recommend a mist system like mist king. Mist systems have nozzles design to spray very fine droplets of water which most chameleons tolerate. Most chams will react to the water touching their bodies but it wont cause them to not drink. It usually takes a few minutes before they are stimulated to drink off the leaves. They also tend to be shy and will drink when nobody is watching.

In my experience, I haven't noticed a difference in my chams hydration when using warm water verse room temp water. The only time i use warm water is during a shed to help loosen the shedding skin.

Could be something else causing the dehydration? How long do you mist for? How often?

The only time we heat the water for misting is when we have recent hatchlings in the winter. Then we wrap a coil of the tubing in a heating pad next to the cage. Our reservoir is 25 feet away and the water doesn't stay warm moving thru the tubing even short distances.
I would agree with the above that your misting times and duration are the problem/solution.
If that does not solve the problem then you need to look at health issues as you are doing with the vet.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. One more Question: what temperature should I keep his water. I have a 30 gal bucket?

Back
Top Bottom