BSFL question

So I ordered BSFL and my girlfriend is freaking out about the fact we need to put them in the fridge (our only fridge, right next to our food)
Is it safe? Or should I get a mini fridge specifically for this?
Thanks

So I ordered BSFL and my girlfriend is freaking out about the fact we need to put them in the fridge (our only fridge, right next to our food)
Is it safe? Or should I get a mini fridge specifically for this?
Thanks
It’s fine, they basically go stagnant. But a mini fridge is only like $40-80 so if she really doesn’t want to, just get the fridge

A regular fridge will kill them. You really need something that is a bit warmer. I keep mine in a wine fridge. I've had them for 7 months so far and they are still alive and will hatch into flies. I think that you can put them in a regular fridge for 1 day in and one day out to make them last longer.

I got a $70 wine fridge for just this reason - the thought of accidentally grabbing the wrong container late at night as I'm working on doctoral work really grossed me out. Now they are in a special fridge...no worries

I just dump them all in my bioactive soil. A week or two later they hatch into BSF’s and I don’t have to worry about feeding for a week or so. I just don’t recommend putting in more than 100 at a time. Learned that mistake the hard way, had HUNDREDS of flies by in my enclosure for like a month.

I got a $70 wine fridge for just this reason - the thought of accidentally grabbing the wrong container late at night as I'm working on doctoral work really grossed me out. Now they are in a special fridge...no worries
mine was about the same price... its a 6 bottle fridge with the bottom rack removed so now its a 2 bottle fridge. great investment. I buy my BSFL by the thousand for about the same price as crickets. Next year I will try a BSFL harvester to get wild flies to last me through the year.

I just dump them all in my bioactive soil. A week or two later they hatch into BSF’s and I don’t have to worry about feeding for a week or so. I just don’t recommend putting in more than 100 at a time. Learned that mistake the hard way, had HUNDREDS of flies by in my enclosure for like a month.

I did the same thing about two weeks ago and gradually seeing the flies now. Jack is loving it! I think I dumped about 30-50 larvae in the bio soil so still waiting for an outburst if it ever comes!

What I did on my last purchase of BSFL's is left them at room temp. I feed the larva off daily, over time they begin to morph into flies and I feed them off as flies as they morph.

I too, had like so many that turned into flies in the enclosure that I had to remove some. There were probably 50 of them at one point. My cham likes them though, I witness him gulping down a mating pair of bsf once.

I too, had like so many that turned into flies in the enclosure that I had to remove some. There were probably 50 of them at one point. My cham likes them though, I witness him gulping down a mating pair of bsf once.
Yeah lately it has been just a few at a time, but this morning I opened the container and there were like 20. I like that they for the most part stay stagnant and not constantly flying around. I randomly hear him picking them off on leaves or the screen.

Getting 20+ flies a day out of my 500 BSFL's that I bought a few weeks ago. My boy can't keep up, I've been letting them go outside.

Back
Top Bottom