Brown nostrils? Black mark on ribs?

Tvm4516

I’m a fairly new chameleon owner, which only makes me even more nit-picky when it comes to caring for my little baby, Yandhi. I’ve had him now for maybe a month-a month and a half and it’s been quite the adjustment but I’ve been feeding myself with as much information as I possibly can to make sure he’s healthy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type: Glass and mesh, 24x24x36, screen on top and glass on all sides.
  • Lighting: not sure of the brands, 100w UVB & 75w heat lamp
  • Temperature: around 81-83 in his basking area, 65-70 in the shaded bottom area.
  • Humidity: I hand mist 3-4 times a day, and keep the levels from 70-80.
  • Plants: I use mostly artificial plants, but I’m slowly introducing safe live plants because he enjoys them quite a bit.
  • Placement: His enclosure is in my dining room, slightly high traffic but maintained level and quiet specifically for him.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon: Yandhi is a fairly young male Veiled Chameleon, he’s been in my care a month-a month and a half and he seems young, but they were unsure of his age (bought at PetSmart)
  • Handling: I’d say once a week; he tends to hold out to climb on my arm when I mist his cage so he’s not as anxious to an extent but I’d rather back off, so I only really handle him once a week and when I do I bring him outside to a tree I have specifically for him.
  • Feeding: right now, he’s getting about 10-12 large crickets a day (off of reccomendation, he’s rather skinny right now) and now I’m introducing meal worms in a dish
  • Supplements: Calcium every day, calcium with d3 and multivitamins twice a month.
  • Watering: I have a little dripper constantly dripping, and occasionally will let a syringe drip for him to lick if desired. I mist 3-4 times a day, about 3-5 minutes each session.
  • Fecal Description: Solid and brown feces and white urate. His urate was previously orange so I upped his availability to water with a syringe so we haven’t had that problem (it was his 1st week). He hasn’t been tested for parasites.
  • History: I simply got him from Petsmart and have been obsessed with his care ever since.
So the problem is his nostrils are opaque brown. He also has a few black marks on his crest (which I’ve deemed from stress, they disappear mostly), and he also has a darker mark on his rib cage/under his forearm that I’m unsure of.
Pics:

052AB2ED-3866-4BE0-9651-7FFFC7B8B52B.jpeg
C38B0C8E-2414-4FB3-B494-E652CCD3E029.jpeg
C617F299-268D-4654-A9EB-EBA71909A7E6.jpeg

Last edited:
Could you fill out the form linked in my signature below, along with pictures of your cham and his enclosure, please?

I’m a fairly new chameleon owner, which only makes me even more nit-picky when it comes to caring for my little baby, Yandhi. I’ve had him now for maybe a month-a month and a half and it’s been quite the adjustment but I’ve been feeding myself with as much information as I possibly can to make sure he’s healthy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type: Glass and mesh, 24x24x36, screen on top and glass on all sides.
  • Lighting: not sure of the brands, 100w UVB & 75w heat lamp
  • Temperature: around 81-83 in his basking area, 65-70 in the shaded bottom area.
  • Humidity: I hand mist 3-4 times a day, and keep the levels from 70-80.
  • Plants: I use mostly artificial plants, but I’m slowly introducing safe live plants because he enjoys them quite a bit.
  • Placement: His enclosure is in my dining room, slightly high traffic but maintained level and quiet specifically for him.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon: Yandhi is a fairly young male Veiled Chameleon, he’s been in my care a month-a month and a half and he seems young, but they were unsure of his age (bought at PetSmart)
  • Handling: I’d say once a week; he tends to hold out to climb on my arm when I mist his cage so he’s not as anxious to an extent but I’d rather back off, so I only really handle him once a week and when I do I bring him outside to a tree I have specifically for him.
  • Feeding: right now, he’s getting about 10-12 large crickets a day (off of reccomendation, he’s rather skinny right now) and now I’m introducing meal worms in a dish
  • Supplements: Calcium every day, calcium with d3 and multivitamins twice a month.
  • Watering: I have a little dripper constantly dripping, and occasionally will let a syringe drip for him to lick if desired. I mist 3-4 times a day, about 3-5 minutes each session.
  • Fecal Description: Solid and brown feces and white urate. His urate was previously orange so I upped his availability to water with a syringe so we haven’t had that problem (it was his 1st week). He hasn’t been tested for parasites.
  • History: I simply got him from Petsmart and have been obsessed with his care ever since.
So the problem is his nostrils are opaque brown. He also has a few black marks on his crest (which I’ve deemed from stress, they disappear mostly), and he also has a darker mark on his rib cage/under his forearm that I’m unsure of.
Pics:

View attachment 215562 View attachment 215563 View attachment 215564
Not sure about the markings and such, but your husbandry is a little off. You'll need a 2' by 2' by 4' tall all screen enclosure. Could you post a pic of your enclosure? Once you get the money, invest in a t5HO linear uvb and fixture and an automated misting system. His basking temp is a little low, I believe. His humidity is too high. Mealworms are a no-go! Add superworms only as treats or to occasionally add variety. There are much better feeder choices! Silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, bsfl, many species of roaches! Did you read the veiled care sheet here?

I'm going to take a big leap here since I'm not seeing him in person and say it looks like he may have taken a hard fall. It looks like he bruised his ribs & lungs and some blood leaked out his nostrils. I've never seen anything like this in a chameleon but have seen plenty of hit by car mammals with blood on the nostrils in that same pattern.
It's not normal for them to fall that hard as climbing is what they are all about. Your husbandry doesn't indicate MBD that can ruin their coordination. How is he acting now? It might be helpful to get a look inside his mouth if he will let you. I would think a vet visit would be in order if he is in any other way not normal.

Not sure about the markings and such, but your husbandry is a little off. You'll need a 2' by 2' by 4' tall all screen enclosure. Could you post a pic of your enclosure? Once you get the money, invest in a t5HO linear uvb and fixture and an automated misting system. His basking temp is a little low, I believe. His humidity is too high. Mealworms are a no-go! Add superworms only as treats or to occasionally add variety. There are much better feeder choices! Silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, bsfl, many species of roaches! Did you read the veiled care sheet here?
I’m currently in the process of assembling a new enclosure for him, and I will get a linear UVB! I’m working on upping his basking temp a degree or so as well, and I’ll keep the humidity level in mind. What sort of variety would you recommend for feeding, as in how Many different feeders and should I switch them up? Yes I did read the care sheet.

I'm going to take a big leap here since I'm not seeing him in person and say it looks like he may have taken a hard fall. It looks like he bruised his ribs & lungs and some blood leaked out his nostrils. I've never seen anything like this in a chameleon but have seen plenty of hit by car mammals with blood on the nostrils in that same pattern.
It's not normal for them to fall that hard as climbing is what they are all about. Your husbandry doesn't indicate MBD that can ruin their coordination. How is he acting now? It might be helpful to get a look inside his mouth if he will let you. I would think a vet visit would be in order if he is in any other way not normal.

His behavior is pretty normal temperament, he moves around quite a bit except when he’s basking, and he eats and drinks normally. His lights are on from 7 am to 6 pm, I forgot to mention and he sleeps normally without interruption. What should I look for in his mouth? His ribs don’t seem sensitive and I think that bruise has been there for a few days, but I’m not sure I saw any blood leak from his nostrils, however it concerned me when I saw them.

I’m currently in the process of assembling a new enclosure for him, and I will get a linear UVB! I’m working on upping his basking temp a degree or so as well, and I’ll keep the humidity level in mind. What sort of variety would you recommend for feeding, as in how Many different feeders and should I switch them up? Yes I did read the care sheet.
I alternate feeding silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, bsfl, crickets, dubias, and red runners. I'm getting ivory-headed and orange-headed roaches and green banana roaches. I'm also pupating painted lady butterflies and bsfl. Snails, mantids, and stick insects are great, too!

I alternate feeding silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, bsfl, crickets, dubias, and red runners. I'm getting ivory-headed and orange-headed roaches and green banana roaches. I'm also pupating painted lady butterflies and bsfl. Snails, mantids, and stick insects are great, too!
I love the big variety!:) I’m going to be alternating between hornworms, crickets, Dubias and butterwoms starting tomorrow. When giving his supplements, should I dust all or just the crickets? I’m also going to give him limited amounts of superworms as treats.

I love the big variety!:) I’m going to be alternating between hornworms, crickets, Dubias and butterwoms starting tomorrow. When giving his supplements, should I dust all or just the crickets? I’m also going to give him limited amounts of superworms as treats.
DUST EVERYTHING!

I would look for any blood or bruising in his mouth. I might try to swab the area around one nostril with a damp q tip if he will let you. See if it wipes off. Leave the other incase you do decide to go to the vet.
I'm also wondering about a bleeding disorder but I've never heard of that in chameleons but my knowledge is very limited. On that note I would keep an eye on him for any further bruising in the future or little speckled bruises in his mouth. I'm not trying to freak you out just give you things to keep an eye out for. Things I would watch for in mine if I saw this.

I would look for any blood or bruising in his mouth. I might try to swab the area around one nostril with a damp q tip if he will let you. See if it wipes off. Leave the other incase you do decide to go to the vet.
I'm also wondering about a bleeding disorder but I've never heard of that in chameleons but my knowledge is very limited. On that note I would keep an eye on him for any further bruising in the future or little speckled bruises in his mouth. I'm not trying to freak you out just give you things to keep an eye out for. Things I would watch for in mine if I saw this.
Thank you so much! I’m going to Swab one nostril and check his mouth. I’m going to give it another day or two (it’s only been a day) and continuously check him over and if I still am as paranoid as now, will schedule him to be brought to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom