Brown Liquid coming Veileds mouth

Hi everyone!
I was curious if someone could give me some insight about what’s going on with my veiled. She’s almost 4 years old, her last clutch was Fed/March of this year. I’ve taken all the necessary precautions for her next clutch as she is looking bigger. (~10” of soil in a bucket) This would be her 5th clutch since I got her at a few months old. Shes been eating but just today I noticed her eyes very sunken and this brown liquid seeping from her mouth (see attached photos). Does anyone know what this can be? Her enclosure is great. An XL Screen zoomed with plenty of vines and plants to hide in so I don’t think that’s the issue. She gets supplemented every week and sprayed two times a day morning and night. Has access to UV and heat for 12 hours. I fed her a few hornworms the other day and she’s been fine until today. Poop is whitish and solid. She just seems lethargic and not her self. I was thinking maybe mouth rot or respiratory infection. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 36F4386B-2D93-4236-A97C-BCDD14855FC7.jpeg
    36F4386B-2D93-4236-A97C-BCDD14855FC7.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 9BC45BC6-FB8C-434D-BB2A-01EDE29313E2.jpeg
    9BC45BC6-FB8C-434D-BB2A-01EDE29313E2.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 74796E86-78E4-425F-AC09-7B7EE98244A1.jpeg
    74796E86-78E4-425F-AC09-7B7EE98244A1.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 151
Stomatitis (Mouth Rot)

While the initial exposure to opportunistic bacteria may be caused by physical trauma within the mouth, environmental factors such as misguided caretaking and nutritional care create the framework for infectious agents to thrive

her eyes should be proud and plump. Definitely might be dehydrated. We’re these pictures taken during the day or at night? If it’s daytime and she’s sleeping then it’s time to see a vet. I hope she gets better soon. So sorry.😞

I check her every single day and it’s something that seems like it happened over night. I don’t understand. She gets sprayed and has a dripper so idk if dehydration is the issue. She has assess to everything she needs

her eyes should be proud and plump. Definitely might be dehydrated. We’re these pictures taken during the day or at night? If it’s daytime and she’s sleeping then it’s time to see a vet. I hope she gets better soon. So sorry.😞
Night time. Just noticed the sunken eyes around 7pm. They weren’t like that this morning when I checked her

Agreed, vet... she looks terrible. And to some of the above posters, please stop relating sunken eyes to dehydration. It's almost never the case and is usually something more serious that causes eyes to sink in. The eyes sink in because they are near death.
Yes true but if the eyes are sunken in they are definitely dehydrated no matter what led to it.

Sunken eyes are caused by dehydration. ... The chameleon does not have enough water in its body. As eyes are made mostly of water, this can be clearly seen in the eyes. It is a severe sign of dehydration and should be taken very seriously.

Can you post some photos of her from right now that show all of her from the side and also inside the mouth if possible?

Sunken eyes in chameleons are almost always NOT due to dehydration. In all my 30+ years of experience with them...both in mine and those of others I've seen...the most common reason for sunken eyes is illness and the next most frequent reason seems to be fear/stress.

Photos would really help me to see better what's going on.
She's in a lot of trouble....no matter when the eyes started to look like that or there was stuff coming from her mouth.
I am pretty sure that if you don't help her right away you won't have to worry about it soon.

Sunken eyes are caused by dehydration. ... The chameleon does not have enough water in its body. As eyes are made mostly of water, this can be clearly seen in the eyes. It is a severe sign of dehydration and should be taken very seriously.
I kind of get where you're coming from, but it's very misleading. Sure, if someone has a severe disease, they might show signs of malnutrition for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean malnutrition is the problem... the problem is the disease. Too often people say sunken eyes=dehydration and then people equate that to oh, my cham just needs more water. I wouldn't want to try and prove it, but an otherwise healthy chameleon would take a long time of dry conditions to show sunken eyes from dehydration, and in that case it would probably be from organ failure(near death). Dehydration is a pretty mild term relatively speaking, eyes don't just shrink from a couple days of no misting. It's not something I've ever seen someone on here fix just by watering more either.

Again that's true.An illness leads to sunken eyes. But it is a fact that when the eyes become sunken its dehydrated. Do your homework that's all. Peace
Sunken eyes in chameleons are almost always NOT due to dehydration. In all my 30+ years of experience with them...both in mine and those of others I've seen...the most common reason for sunken eyes is illness and the next most frequent reason seems to be fear/stress.

Back
Top Bottom