Brown/ black teeth on my veiled chameleon

He also sits by a bright window sometimes where direct light is hitting him. For everyone asking what vitamins and calcium I give him.
If the window is shut, there will be no UVB coming through it unless it's special glass.

How often do you use each supplement? How heavily?
The more detail you answer questions with, the more likely it will be that we can give good answers (in some cases, guesses...most of us on here are not vets.)

If the window is shut, there will be no UVB coming through it unless it's special glass.

How often do you use each supplement? How heavily?
The more detail you answer questions with, the more likely it will be that we can give good answers (in some cases, guesses...most of us on here are not vets.)
Gotcha okay. He has calcium in his food 2-3 times a week and usually there is dust left on the bottom so he gets it pretty frequently. I give him the herptivite multivitamin about once a month as that was what the reptile store suggested. Sometimes I give it 2-3 times a month as they are right next to each other when I prepare his food. Also got some better pictures right now as he got a little hot at the window. He’s been locked in his cage the past couple days and has been throwing tantrums climbing on the ceiling of his cage and what not so thought I’d give him some window time today.

Attachments

• D57900A5-E979-4B98-A11A-2CC9A166FF24.jpeg
    D57900A5-E979-4B98-A11A-2CC9A166FF24.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 2BD1B709-EFCD-4975-8F9B-31E403D269BA.jpeg
    2BD1B709-EFCD-4975-8F9B-31E403D269BA.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DB49A229-F14E-415A-87B2-E88B54023B52.jpeg
    DB49A229-F14E-415A-87B2-E88B54023B52.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 66
Hey guys. My chameleon has been eating/ drinking water just fine. I have his cage set up in my office where he can also craw around and I have vines/ branches set up for him to explore. Recently he has been sitting on branches with his mouth open. He’s not under his heat lamp or nothing and so one time I looked at his mouth and his teeth are brown/ black ish. He eats sill worms/ horn worms/ occasional grass hoppers/ dubias/ wax worms/ meal worms and loves cilantro and Bok Choy mixed with the above. I give him multi vitamins once a month and calcium often.
In the pictures it is hard to see as they were screen shotted from a video. But you can tell the discoloration. Also can barely see the top teeth but it also looks like they are changing colors.

Attachments

• 0F1D6125-542B-4E26-B190-219E89F3D575.jpeg
    0F1D6125-542B-4E26-B190-219E89F3D575.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 10D190E4-C395-4F13-9689-7CFE38D90302.jpeg
    10D190E4-C395-4F13-9689-7CFE38D90302.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 8351082B-F134-48EA-9383-B924D1D41D2E.jpeg
    8351082B-F134-48EA-9383-B924D1D41D2E.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 55
You said..."has calcium in his food 2-3 times a week and usually there is dust left on the bottom so he gets it pretty frequently"...
It's recommended that you use a phos free calcium powder(no D3) at all feedings but two a month and on those 2 use a vitamin powder with D3 and a prEformed source of vitamin A. All dustings should be lightly.

You said..."I give him the herptivite multivitamin about once a month as that was what the reptile store suggested. Sometimes I give it 2-3 times a month as they are right next to each other when I prepare his food"...Herptivite has prOformed vitamin A not prEformed. While I've never found it to be a problem with veileds, it's recommended that the vitamin A should be ptEformed. Preformed can build up in the system and lead to health issues but prOformed might not be usable enough for chameleons...some may not be able to convert it well enough.

Sorry i did get bavk with you, been sick. But i see you have gotten good advice from members. Trying to find calcium without D3 in stores is useless. I got mine on Amazon for real cheap. Dust daily with it. Since your guy luvs greens, please try collard greens. I did a study on all greens and found colkard greens has Highest in Vit A and K plus orher vits.. Mine went into my herb garden and ate every little leaf off of my oregano. But wont eat others! when u say you are preparing his food, what are u ptrparing? does he get to hunt?

Sorry i did get bavk with you, been sick. But i see you have gotten good advice from members. Trying to find calcium without D3 in stores is useless. I got mine on Amazon for real cheap. Dust daily with it. Since your guy luvs greens, please try collard greens. I did a study on all greens and found colkard greens has Highest in Vit A and K plus orher vits.. Mine went into my herb garden and ate every little leaf off of my oregano. But wont eat others! when u say you are preparing his food, what are u ptrparing? does he get to hunt?
Heres a pic of my ubv lite and vits

Attachments

• IMG_20220825_023428.jpg
    IMG_20220825_023428.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 58
Also if you thinj there is a vit d deficency, takehim for a walk out in the sun. 10-15 minutes a day would be good. Have u found a vet yet,?

I’m preparing a mixture of things. He eats horn worms and silk worms and I place them around his cage or sometimes in his bowl with calcium and celantro! Thanks for the collard greens recommendation. He honestly is like almost afraid of crickets. He’s not motivated at all to eat them which is so weird and it was hard for a while to get him to eat. He went on a horn worm trend and now it’s mostly silk worms. I also live in the suburbs so grass hoppers are also added to his diet and he loves and also the occasional moths! Hard trying to find substitutes, but making it work!

Vida vetenary clinic. Dr LeVon. I read a great post from a member in colorado. She said dr levon kniws her stuff.
I have an appointment with Pikes Peak Vet Clinic on Tuesday and I called around and everyone recommended only 3 vets with exotic specialties. I work in the pet care/ vet industry so I made sure to ask around!

Also if you thinj there is a vit d deficency, takehim for a walk out in the sun. 10-15 minutes a day would be good. Have u found a vet yet,?
I do this sometimes but not all the time! Thanks for the recommendations for everything. I just bought new UVB bulbs as well.

You said..."has calcium in his food 2-3 times a week and usually there is dust left on the bottom so he gets it pretty frequently"...
It's recommended that you use a phos free calcium powder(no D3) at all feedings but two a month and on those 2 use a vitamin powder with D3 and a prEformed source of vitamin A. All dustings should be lightly.

You said..."I give him the herptivite multivitamin about once a month as that was what the reptile store suggested. Sometimes I give it 2-3 times a month as they are right next to each other when I prepare his food"...Herptivite has prOformed vitamin A not prEformed. While I've never found it to be a problem with veileds, it's recommended that the vitamin A should be ptEformed. Preformed can build up in the system and lead to health issues but prOformed might not be usable enough for chameleons...some may not be able to convert it well enough.
Thanks! I specifically bought this calcium with D3 as it was recommended by someone at a reptile store! I’m finding there is a lot of different strategies and opinions and did not know this! Thanks for sharing.

I have an appointment with Pikes Peak Vet Clinic on Tuesday and I called around and everyone recommended only 3 vets with exotic specialties. I work in the pet care/ vet industry so I made sure to ask around!
I think I know where that is. If that does not work out I know there is a vet with a lot of chameleon experience in Aurora.

Update: Took Bamba to the vet and got some antibiotics. It’s a small amount I have to give him everyday. The vet saw saliva bubbles and extra saliva, so he said that there is some infection probably a respiratory infection starting. The only things he recommended was to gut load better and to increase his basking heat. His castor was also a bit swollen but I think it’s because he was shook rn up from his weight being taken and the doctor holding him. But he said he could be backed up. Didn’t really say much about it. I’m going to keep a close eye on his fecal matter for a lab test as well.
The vet had great things to say about him and he said he looked really good. He said it was the best looking veiled chameleon he’s seen come in. Hopefully the antibiotics work. He said celantro was okay because it has vitamin A in it. He also mentioned that not having live plants is fine, but I am going to look for live plants anyways.
Bambas teeth were black because he said they are stained from dirt or substrate he ate. He used to eat the repti zoo med dirt a lot when it was a substrate so that could be the reason why. Good thing I caught this early, but it is looking as an early respiratory infection.
There is also a new Colorado chameleon Store, so going to check that out and ask around for more advice!

Thanks everyone for their help!

Update: Took Bamba to the vet and got some antibiotics. It’s a small amount I have to give him everyday. The vet saw saliva bubbles and extra saliva, so he said that there is some infection probably a respiratory infection starting. The only things he recommended was to gut load better and to increase his basking heat. His castor was also a bit swollen but I think it’s because he was shook rn up from his weight being taken and the doctor holding him. But he said he could be backed up. Didn’t really say much about it. I’m going to keep a close eye on his fecal matter for a lab test as well.
The vet had great things to say about him and he said he looked really good. He said it was the best looking veiled chameleon he’s seen come in. Hopefully the antibiotics work. He said celantro was okay because it has vitamin A in it. He also mentioned that not having live plants is fine, but I am going to look for live plants anyways.
Bambas teeth were black because he said they are stained from dirt or substrate he ate. He used to eat the repti zoo med dirt a lot when it was a substrate so that could be the reason why. Good thing I caught this early, but it is looking as an early respiratory infection.
There is also a new Colorado chameleon Store, so going to check that out and ask around for more advice!

Thanks everyone for their help!
So happy you got him to a vet and on the road to recovery! URI can take them down fast so you caufht it in time! Truly, he doesnt need substrate. Its used for geckos and ground dwellers. since you handke him everyday, you r in touch with any changes. Awesome outcome. I am so pleased.

Back
Top Bottom