Broken nail

Hey guys, my chameleon looks like his nail was injured. What should I do?

Attachments

• 20220825_103131.jpg
    20220825_103131.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 39
They don't grow back but a broken nail isn't going to help him more than no nail at all. Personally, I'd cut it just so he doesn't stab himself

The nail is gone now there is just a hole where it was. Is he okay? No sign of irritation, redness, swelling or infection.
Just keep an eye on it to ensure an infection does not develop. As long as it looks normal without showing signs of swelling he will be fine.

You do want to look at the enclosure though. If the cham is losing nails from screen climbing then you want to make adjustments to the enclosure. Otherwise they are higher risk for continuing the behavior and losing more nails which you do not want. They do need the nails to grip firmly.

Just keep an eye on it to ensure an infection does not develop. As long as it looks normal without showing signs of swelling he will be fine.

You do want to look at the enclosure though. If the cham is losing nails from screen climbing then you want to make adjustments to the enclosure. Otherwise they are higher risk for continuing the behavior and losing more nails which you do not want. They do need the nails to grip firmly.
Totally. Thank you!

I would second never cutting a chams nails and even if it did break I would let it fall off unless it gets infected or something but I'm glad this is not the case! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom