Broken leg? PLEASE HELP

lainezor

I went to check on my male veiled chameleon and he was in the bottom corner of the cage all grey. I picked him up and his leg looks really screwed up. I think he might have fallen and broke it, I put him back on the branch and he's back on the floor again. I know its not MBD because he is in good care with the proper UVB and his leg was fine this morning.

is it broken? what should I do?

pics:
IABZwUL.jpg

h8EdkuO.jpg

You should get him to a vet and get an xray. If anything, he will need pain medication if it is broke and it sure looks like it is.. They normally do not splint breaks, but in some cases they might.

I am taking him to the vet, just found an appointment for 3:30. I am such a nervous wreck right now and I feel horrible. I will update.

I went to check on my male veiled chameleon and he was in the bottom corner of the cage all grey. I picked him up and his leg looks really screwed up. I think he might have fallen and broke it, I put him back on the branch and he's back on the floor again. I know its not MBD because he is in good care with the proper UVB and his leg was fine this morning.

is it broken? what should I do?

pics:
IABZwUL.jpg

h8EdkuO.jpg

A fall in the typical cham cage is not very likely to cause a leg fracture unless there was a really odd fall position or some MBD going on. Could you describe your husbandry (lighting, gutloading, dusting schedule) so we can check whether there might be something else going on healthwise? A fracture from undiagnosed MBD could still happen as suddenly as an accidental one.

The vet took an X-ray and told me that there was no fracture. However his leg has appeared to have bended back around itself. The vet said he shows no signs of MBD but he suspects that the deformity was from youth MBD and didn't become noticeable until his fall. He described it as a drinking straw bending back over itself and I can show x rays once I get home. The vet said its not causing him any pain and we have two choices: to splint it and up his calcium intake ot leave it as a deformity since its not causing him pain but it could get worse and potentially fracture. So I decided it was in his best interest to splint it and hes now going into surgery to be splinted. Will update.

He's home safe and sound now got a nice red splint now. I need to give him oral meds but I missed his mouth and he got some of it I think so I put the rest on crickets and he shows no interest in them what should I do? Should I give him the other dose for tomorrow and get another from the vet or leave him with the crickets and hope he eats them. I'm assuming its the anti inflammatory meds that's a clear yellowish liquid for 5ml it's such a tiny amount I'm worried though that he could overdose if I give too much

its called Metacam idk if that helps or not. I left the 4 crickets with him, let me know if I should take anymore action. I will turn the light out late tonight but normal the other days.

he isnt eating the medicated crickets and its way past his bedtime, what do I do? The vets office is closed and I cant call.

Back
Top Bottom