Broken back leg?

Didnt read through all the posts, so apologies if this has been resolved or mentioned.

Check the bottom of his foot, too. They can develop sores for various reasons. Also check his nails for broken nails that may be painful.

Leg doesn’t look abnormal to me, but Im not a vet nor an expert. If he’s avoiding using rhe leg there is definitely something causing pain. My guys lounge from time to time and let a limb hang, but then resume normal use when active.

UPDATE: Thank you everyone for their help! I decided to take him to the vet. We did X-rays and the vet said there was not any broken bones but a possible dislocation. She gave me two types of medication one for the inflammation and another antibiotic just in case something bit him. It has been a little over a week now and the medication doesn’t seem to be working… he is now hanging both of his legs off. I checked the bottom of his feet there are not sores but seems to have some stuck shed? I’m going to try to treat for gout and see what happens. Anymore advice would be so helpful!

Attachments

• EBA2EB76-96FB-4310-B603-C83AB9D09862.jpeg
    EBA2EB76-96FB-4310-B603-C83AB9D09862.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 72
  • C79782F4-DD36-4402-8422-15E27B58BE87.jpeg
    C79782F4-DD36-4402-8422-15E27B58BE87.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 66
UPDATE: Thank you everyone for their help! I decided to take him to the vet. We did X-rays and the vet said there was not any broken bones but a possible dislocation. She gave me two types of medication one for the inflammation and another antibiotic just in case something bit him. It has been a little over a week now and the medication doesn’t seem to be working… he is now hanging both of his legs off. I checked the bottom of his feet there are not sores but seems to have some stuck shed? I’m going to try to treat for gout and see what happens. Anymore advice would be so helpful!
Did they do any blood work to check his uric acid levels? This is how they determine gout. When you say your going to try to treat for gout how are you going to go about this?

Did you check your UVB bulb and correct the distance to basking?

Is he hanging like that all the time now or is he moving around using both legs and just hanging when resting?

Did they do any blood work to check his uric acid levels? This is how they determine gout. When you say your going to try to treat for gout how are you going to go about this?
Did you check your UVB bulb and correct the distance to basking?
No they didn’t do any blood work, someone in the thread said to remove all over supplements other than calcium and take the dubias off their diet and see if that improves his legs.
My uvb is a T5 HO Arcadia that is 10% but the branch is actually a foot away. I’m going to replace the bulbs as they are almost time to replace.

Is he hanging like that all the time now or is he moving around using both legs and just hanging when resting?
He is hanging them all the time when resting. He is barely using them when he is walking around. Most of the time he is using his arms and “hovering” his back legs.

No they didn’t do any blood work, someone in the thread said to remove all over supplements other than calcium and take the dubias off their diet and see if that improves his legs.
My uvb is a T5 HO Arcadia that is 10% but the branch is actually a foot away. I’m going to replace the bulbs as they are almost time to replace.
Ok but what is your dubia diet? You said it was all fresh veg... This is not high in protein. So would not cause a build up of uric acid in the dubia. If you were feeding a commercial diet high in protein or something like cat food as a gutload this could cause high uric acid in the feeders. Then causing gout in the cham.

He is hanging them all the time when resting. He is barely using them when he is walking around. Most of the time he is using his arms and “hovering” his back legs.
You saying this says he needs a reptile vet and they need to draw blood. You need to know what is going on internally with his blood work. Gout is extremely painful for them. Not something you should hold off on with treatment.

Ok but what is your dubia diet? You said it was all fresh veg... This is not high in protein. So would not cause a build up of uric acid in the dubia. If you were feeding a commercial diet high in protein or something like cat food as a gutload this could cause high uric acid in the feeders. Then causing gout in the cham.

You saying this says he needs a reptile vet and they need to draw blood. You need to know what is going on internally with his blood work. Gout is extremely painful for them. Not something you should hold off on with treatment.
The soonest appointment I could get is in 3 days and I will request blood work then! I’m not sure what could be causing this if it’s not broken or gout.. could it be MBD??

The soonest appointment I could get is in 3 days and I will request blood work then! I’m not sure what could be causing this if it’s not broken or gout.. could it be MBD??
You could do a husbandry review and we could go over everything. Gout can happen in Chams that have compromised organ function as well.

Another thought would be to see if your vet could send the x ray images to a veterinary radiologist to review.
I once again could be a ghost here but..

Yeah that would be the first thing I would do, and go back to that vet and do a blood test to check if that actually is gout or not.

I also could be stupid like hecc but that could be some infection? Since he does that to both of his hinds now?

Also, to throw this finally out, that is 100% not MBD. His chin would be spongy and would have difficulties walking and climbing.

Back
Top Bottom