Broccoli’s crooked bite/sleeping habits

shelandbroccoli

Hi!
This is my first time posting on here but I’ve been reading for a while! I’ve had my veiled chameleon Broccoli for about 6 months now. We have bonded a lot and he climbs right on to me. Even rubs on me when he’s shedding. <3 I like to think he’s cuddling but I know he’s just using me as an itch stick, lol.
He’s a pretty happy guy but There are a couple of things I’ve noticed that I wanted to ask you guys about.

1. His bite is a bit crooked. I’m wondering is this is anything to be concerned about?

2. My fiancé and I recently left town for four days and Broccoli stayed with a house sitter. When we got back he was awake at 11pm. He usually sleeps from 8pm-8am and his lamps are on a timer. Yesterday he fell asleep at about 2pm and woke up at 10pm. The reptile store near me told me to get a 24hr red heat lamp a few weeks ago, but I was reading on here that he doesn’t need a lamp at night if the house is 65-70 degrees. So I turned his red lamp off last night and he went back to sleep. Today he has been full of energy so far. I’m curious to see what time he falls asleep today. I’ve heard it’s a big cause for concern if chameleons are asleep in the daytime. His appetite has been a little all over the place, but yesterday he ate 7 crickets with Calcium + D3 and today he ate a little bit of a green salad and two mealworms. He’s also been drinking fine. He’s always drank out of the bowl that catches his dripper drops which I know is weird, haha. He also drinks from my hand and from leaves sometimes.

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts on this. I want to make sure he’s as happy and healthy as possible. Thanks!

Attachments

• C6203BC6-461F-4897-A2EE-B75110CE701A.png
    C6203BC6-461F-4897-A2EE-B75110CE701A.png
    740.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 6076FA93-AF7B-48F6-AE89-DCBEB0965AEC.png
    6076FA93-AF7B-48F6-AE89-DCBEB0965AEC.png
    781.6 KB · Views: 92
How long has his bite been crooked?

So -- you have been using the red light at night? No red light is needed. Complete darkness at night is best.

I would suggest you fill this form out for someone to review:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi!
This is my first time posting on here but I’ve been reading for a while! I’ve had my veiled chameleon Broccoli for about 6 months now. We have bonded a lot and he climbs right on to me. Even rubs on me when he’s shedding. <3 I like to think he’s cuddling but I know he’s just using me as an itch stick, lol.
He’s a pretty happy guy but There are a couple of things I’ve noticed that I wanted to ask you guys about.

1. His bite is a bit crooked. I’m wondering is this is anything to be concerned about?

2. My fiancé and I recently left town for four days and Broccoli stayed with a house sitter. When we got back he was awake at 11pm. He usually sleeps from 8pm-8am and his lamps are on a timer. Yesterday he fell asleep at about 2pm and woke up at 10pm. The reptile store near me told me to get a 24hr red heat lamp a few weeks ago, but I was reading on here that he doesn’t need a lamp at night if the house is 65-70 degrees. So I turned his red lamp off last night and he went back to sleep. Today he has been full of energy so far. I’m curious to see what time he falls asleep today. I’ve heard it’s a big cause for concern if chameleons are asleep in the daytime. His appetite has been a little all over the place, but yesterday he ate 7 crickets with Calcium + D3 and today he ate a little bit of a green salad and two mealworms. He’s also been drinking fine. He’s always drank out of the bowl that catches his dripper drops which I know is weird, haha. He also drinks from my hand and from leaves sometimes.

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts on this. I want to make sure he’s as happy and healthy as possible. Thanks!
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to link you "The Form", but I'll go ahead and say a few generalities.

1. Could be the result of lots of things - from MBD to broken bones to deformities. The form will help narrow it down for those more experienced than myself.

2. So chams HATE change. This does include a change in the keeper as well. You guys being on vacation and a "new keeper" can and will cause some amount of stress. Sleeping during the day on it's own IS a concern... but only if it happens frequently. (Usually it is accompanied with lethargy). Sounds like now that his keepers are home he's returning to "normal".

Also like to point out that calcium + D3 is NOT an every feeding supplement. (Rephasy plus LoD being the exception). As for the red light- pitch it,, or use it for Halloween decor. Chams don't need or want it and can take temp drops to the 50's or so.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to link you "The Form", but I'll go ahead and say a few generalities.

1. Could be the result of lots of things - from MBD to broken bones to deformities. The form will help narrow it down for those more experienced than myself.

2. So chams HATE change. This does include a change in the keeper as well. You guys being on vacation and a "new keeper" can and will cause some amount of stress. Sleeping during the day on it's own IS a concern... but only if it happens frequently. (Usually it is accompanied with lethargy). Sounds like now that his keepers are home he's returning to "normal".

Also like to point out that calcium + D3 is NOT an every feeding supplement. (Rephasy plus LoD being the exception). As for the red light- pitch it,, or use it for Halloween decor. Chams don't need or want it and can take temp drops to the 50's or so.
Also, welcome to the forums! Some can be a bit tough, but we're all here to help.

Best wishes!

And here’s some pictures of my husbandry!

So, right off the bat, I will say you have some adjustments to make to your husbandry.

You want a linear T5ho light. The lights you have now are not adeaquate, linear is necessary.

You will also want more coverage and foliage for your chameleon to hide in. My cage is seen below -- it is by no means a standard, but can give you an idea.

I would also remove the carpet and moss (?) as it will harbor bacteria.
20191219_164827.jpg

How long has his bite been crooked?
  • I noticed it about 3 weeks ago

So -- you have been using the red light at night? No red light is needed. Complete darkness at night is best.
  • For the past two weeks, yes. But yes, read that on here so starting from last night I’m turning it off at night

I would suggest you fill this form out for someone to review:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, about 9 months old. Been in my care for 6 months.
  • Handling - About every other day. He climbs on to me most times I open his cage. Sometimes I have to put him back in because I don’t have the time to watch him. He’s very active and climbs a lot.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? - medium crickets, Dubia Roaches, mealworms What amount? - He used to eat around 7-12 crickets a day, now he’s down to about 3-7 every other day, with 1-2 mealworms on the days he’s not interested in crickets. What is the schedule? - every morning around 9-10am How are you gut-loading your feeders? - carrots, spinach, Kale, and Nature Zone Total Bites
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? - Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3 Tues and Thurs, Multivitamin once a month (although I just read I should be doing Calcium w/o D3 every day, Multivitamin every 2 weeks, D3 every two weeks, thoughts?)
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? - big dripper, misting 3-4 times a day. How often and how long to you mist? About 30 seconds, 3-4 times a day Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - dark brown, solid, medium size (when he was eating 12 crickets a day as a baby they were much bigger), never been tested for parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - he had a huge appetite when we first got him when he was 3 months. Now that he’s around the 9 month mark his appetite has dropped a bit. He will ALWAYS eat mealworms but I’ve heard it’s not good to give him too many? He only eats roaches and crickets when he feels like it now. He has a steady routine of basking and then climbing to his cool side. Ever since the winter he has been falling asleep a bit earlier than normal (around 5pm) but he is next to a window so I think it’s because the sun goes down then.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? - Zoo Med Reptibreeze XL
Item Number: NT-13
Size: X-Large
Dimension: 24″ x 24″ x 48

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? - ZooMed Tropical UVB + Heat Lighting Kit
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? - analog hygrometer and thermometer - just ordered digital ones because these keep falling and don’t seem accurate. Basking spot is around 85 degrees, cage floor is 70 degrees
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? - 40-60%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? - don’t have any, but now feel like I should buy some (snake plant, money tree, umbrella plant maybe?)
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? - in the kitchen by a window. Medium amount of traffic. Bottom of cage is about 3ft off the ground
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Los Angeles

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Crooked Bite and abnormal sleeping patterns
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

So, right off the bat, I will say you have some adjustments to make to your husbandry.

You want a linear T5ho light. The lights you have now are not adeaquate, linear is necessary.

You will also want more coverage and foliage for your chameleon to hide in. My cage is seen below -- it is by no means a standard, but can give you an idea.

I would also remove the carpet and moss (?) as it will harbor bacteria.View attachment 254784

Thank you! What brand of light do you recommend? Also am planning on getting some live plants to fill it out more. Since we upgraded to a bigger cage it’s looking very sparse.
Good to know about the felt and moss too. What do you line to bottom of your cage with?

Thank you! What brand of light do you recommend? Also am planning on getting some live plants to fill it out more. Since we upgraded to a bigger cage it’s looking very sparse.
Good to know about the felt and moss too. What do you line to bottom of your cage with?

either nothing or tile. I use Tile because I think it's prettier -- but a bare bottom is easy to clean, plus allows drainage. I put a hole in the bottom so water drains into a bucket below. You'll need to periodically mist the enclosure so drainage is important.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, about 9 months old. Been in my care for 6 months.
  • Handling - About every other day. He climbs on to me most times I open his cage. Sometimes I have to put him back in because I don’t have the time to watch him. He’s very active and climbs a lot. It is likely he is climbing out a lot because he is not comfortable or doesn't feel safe in his enclosure. He may be trying to get higher.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? - medium crickets, Dubia Roaches, mealworms What amount? - He used to eat around 7-12 crickets a day, now he’s down to about 3-7 every other day, with 1-2 mealworms on the days he’s not interested in crickets. What is the schedule? - every morning around 9-10am How are you gut-loading your feeders? - carrots, spinach, Kale, and Nature Zone Total Bites. See this care sheet for gutload information -- https://www.chameleonforums.com/images/ccr/care-images/chameleon-gutload.jpg
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? - Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3 Tues and Thurs, Multivitamin once a month (although I just read I should be doing Calcium w/o D3 every day, Multivitamin every 2 weeks, D3 every two weeks, thoughts?) Yes to the latter -- Phospherous Free Calcium at every feeding, and alternating every other week with one feeding with calcium D3 and one feeding with multivitamin. (d3 one week, multivitamin the next, d3 the third week , multivitimin the 4th etc... Some keepers use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD on all feedings. (I do not dust "treats" or hornworms.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? - big dripper, misting 3-4 times a day. How often and how long to you mist? About 30 seconds, 3-4 times a day Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes Ideally you want to mist for about 2 minutes at a time. This will help with humidity -- be mindful of misting during the day. A good misting before lights on and one after lights off is good, with maybe one in the middle of the day to boost humidity -- if you need it. I mist twice during the day for a minute 30 because I am in colorado.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - dark brown, solid, medium size (when he was eating 12 crickets a day as a baby they were much bigger), never been tested for parasites What did the urate look like? Iit is a pearly white / hopefully not too yellow cap end of a fecal.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - he had a huge appetite when we first got him when he was 3 months. Now that he’s around the 9 month mark his appetite has dropped a bit. He will ALWAYS eat mealworms but I’ve heard it’s not good to give him too many? He only eats roaches and crickets when he feels like it now. He has a steady routine of basking and then climbing to his cool side. Ever since the winter he has been falling asleep a bit earlier than normal (around 5pm) but he is next to a window so I think it’s because the sun goes down then. I would take him out of the kitchen and definetley away from a window or vents. Window could cook him and provides no UVB -- and a lower traffic area of the house may make him feel more secure -- with added foliage of course.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? - Zoo Med Reptibreeze XL

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? - ZooMed Tropical UVB + Heat Lighting Kit -- As mentioned before -- you'll need a t5ho with a 5.0 r 6% UVB bulb. Lift this light a little bit off the top of the cage if you are using a single bulb fixture. A Solameter can tell you exact readings -- I plan to get one next week. I, personally, use a Ceramic Heat Emitter plugged into a thermostat control for my basking area, -- see below RE Plant Lights.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? - analog hygrometer and thermometer - just ordered digital ones because these keep falling and don’t seem accurate. Basking spot is around 85 degrees, cage floor is 70 degrees
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? - 40-60% (@Beman what is good humidity for a veiled?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? - don’t have any, but now feel like I should buy some (snake plant, money tree, umbrella plant maybe?) Pothos are very easy to care for, umbrella is a bit harder. I have pothos, zebra plant, bromeliads, a dracaena. NOW -- you will need a separate plant light for your plants. I use a second linear fixture with a 65k Plant Bulb inside of it. I also have an additional LED Plant light in a regular dome.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? - in the kitchen by a window. Medium amount of traffic. Bottom of cage is about 3ft off the ground As said earlier -- I'd move to a low traffic area and away from the window and any vents.

Sleeping during the day could very well be because he had red light at night, however there are some other husbandry issues that can be corrected -- so it would still be beneficial to see a *good* reptile vet and see what they think.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I keep Panthers so any Veiled keepers want to chime in and correct me, please!

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - About every other day. He climbs on to me most times I open his cage. Sometimes I have to put him back in because I don’t have the time to watch him. He’s very active and climbs a lot. It is likely he is climbing out a lot because he is not comfortable or doesn't feel safe in his enclosure. He may be trying to get higher.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? - medium crickets, Dubia Roaches, mealworms What amount? - He used to eat around 7-12 crickets a day, now he’s down to about 3-7 every other day, with 1-2 mealworms on the days he’s not interested in crickets. What is the schedule? - every morning around 9-10am How are you gut-loading your feeders? - carrots, spinach, Kale, and Nature Zone Total Bites. See this care sheet for gutload information -- https://www.chameleonforums.com/images/ccr/care-images/chameleon-gutload.jpg
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? - Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3 Tues and Thurs, Multivitamin once a month (although I just read I should be doing Calcium w/o D3 every day, Multivitamin every 2 weeks, D3 every two weeks, thoughts?) Yes to the latter -- Phospherous Free Calcium at every feeding, and alternating every other week with one feeding with calcium D3 and one feeding with multivitamin. (d3 one week, multivitamin the next, d3 the third week , multivitimin the 4th etc... Some keepers use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD on all feedings. (I do not dust "treats" or hornworms.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? - big dripper, misting 3-4 times a day. How often and how long to you mist? About 30 seconds, 3-4 times a day Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes Ideally you want to mist for about 2 minutes at a time. This will help with humidity -- be mindful of misting during the day. A good misting before lights on and one after lights off is good, with maybe one in the middle of the day to boost humidity -- if you need it. I mist twice during the day for a minute 30 because I am in colorado.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - dark brown, solid, medium size (when he was eating 12 crickets a day as a baby they were much bigger), never been tested for parasites What did the urate look like? Iit is a pearly white / hopefully not too yellow cap end of a fecal.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - he had a huge appetite when we first got him when he was 3 months. Now that he’s around the 9 month mark his appetite has dropped a bit. He will ALWAYS eat mealworms but I’ve heard it’s not good to give him too many? He only eats roaches and crickets when he feels like it now. He has a steady routine of basking and then climbing to his cool side. Ever since the winter he has been falling asleep a bit earlier than normal (around 5pm) but he is next to a window so I think it’s because the sun goes down then. I would take him out of the kitchen and definetley away from a window or vents. Window could cook him and provides no UVB -- and a lower traffic area of the house may make him feel more secure -- with added foliage of course.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? - ZooMed Tropical UVB + Heat Lighting Kit -- As mentioned before -- you'll need a t5ho with a 5.0 r 6% UVB bulb. Lift this light a little bit off the top of the cage if you are using a single bulb fixture. A Solameter can tell you exact readings -- I plan to get one next week. I, personally, use a Ceramic Heat Emitter plugged into a thermostat control for my basking area, -- see below RE Plant Lights.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? - 40-60% (@Beman what is good humidity for a veiled?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? - don’t have any, but now feel like I should buy some (snake plant, money tree, umbrella plant maybe?) Pothos are very easy to care for, umbrella is a bit harder. I have pothos, zebra plant, bromeliads, a dracaena. NOW -- you will need a separate plant light for your plants. I use a second linear fixture with a 65k Plant Bulb inside of it. I also have an additional LED Plant light in a regular dome.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? - in the kitchen by a window. Medium amount of traffic. Bottom of cage is about 3ft off the ground As said earlier -- I'd move to a low traffic area and away from the window and any vents.

Sleeping during the day could very well be because he had red light at night, however there are some other husbandry issues that can be corrected -- so it would still be beneficial to see a *good* reptile vet and see what they think.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I keep Panthers so any Veiled keepers want to chime in and correct me, please!

Wow thank you so much for this thorough response. It helps a lot! Just ordered my Calcium Phosphorus Free powder, as well as a new UVB lamp. Also got some sweet potatoes and am cutting the spinach for the crickets.

If he is trying to get higher does that mean he needs more heat? Or UVB? I’m using the red lamp for both day and night. It’s 100w. Should I go back to blue?

Unfortunately our apartment is too small for him to go anywhere else. :( The natural sunlight is pretty minimal in his spot. And there are two big trees next to the window so it is pretty shady where he is. But of course if I change everything else and he is still having issues I will figure something out! Maybe placing tall live plants on the window side will help too. And we have a pretty quiet household. Other than the dishes being done there’s not a whole lot of noise.

He is awake now and the sun is just going down! So I’m happy about that. :) :) He’s slowly making his way to his sleeping spot, which is on par with his normal routine. Thank God.

Also - side note, I just want to say thank you to all of the people on here who really care about these creatures and help out. Even the specialized reptile store I go to doesn’t seem to have all the answers. It makes me really sad to see the chameleons that aren’t doing well on here because they are such amazing creatures. So yes, thank you. I’m really happy to have this resource.

You said..."I’m using the red lamp for both day and night. It’s 100w. Should I go back to blue?" You should not use any light at night. If your temperatures drop into the 50sF then use a heat emitter. For a basking bulb you can use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that produces the same basking temperature.

You said..."I’m using the red lamp for both day and night. It’s 100w. Should I go back to blue?" You should not use any light at night. If your temperatures drop into the 50sF then use a heat emitter. For a basking bulb you can use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that produces the same basking temperature.
Sorry, I worded that poorly. I meant the red light can be used for both day and night, but I’m just using it during the day. I wanted to see if I should keep using it for daytime

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I meant the red light can be used for both day and night, but I’m just using it during the day. I wanted to see if I should keep using it for daytime
You are much better off with a plain white incandescent light bulb for basking. Colored lights are not good for cham eyes.

Back
Top Bottom