Breeding your own crickets and dubias

Bazelthechameleon

Avid Member
I've read some articles that say it is helpful to breed your own feeders. What is your opinion on this? Is it worth the time or does it not really make a difference?

I say yes if your comfortable with it. I raise my own dubia,silkworms,red runners,orange heads and superworms.
Takes a little work but I never have to worry about what's for dinner.😆

I say yes if your comfortable with it. I raise my own dubia,silkworms,red runners,orange heads and superworms.
Cool! Where do you keep them? Do you need big enclosures in order to breed them? Is there certain temperatures or conditions you have to keep the enclosures at in order to breed them?

Other than the fact you have to plan about six months in advance for roaches. Crickets you only have to plan about 2 months ahead.

Cool! Where do you keep them? Do you need big enclosures in order to breed them? Is there certain temperatures or conditions you have to keep the enclosures at in order to breed them?

Roaches you just get a rubbermaid tote with a lid with screen on it, then just keep the bin above 75f, and put in cardboard egg cartons and leftover veggies. You almost never have to clean. roaches can live over a year.

Crickets require the same tote, but you have to have screen on at least 2 opposite sides else they fart themselves to death. Yes if the cricket bin stinks for you, it really stinks for them. Then you have to have some tupaware dishes with moist soil in it for them to lay eggs in. Then it gets complicated because now you have to rotate said dishes into fish tanks every week, till the little guys are big enough to not fit through the screen of the adult bin. Normally by age 2 week they are big enough for the adult bin. Crickets live 6-8 weeks.

Crickets are dirtier and will need cleaning once a generation 6-8 weeks.

There are many care sheets available that can answer your questions on specific feeders. I don't have them available right now but you can google em up or get advice from forum members. Depends on the amount and type you want to raise to determine container size,temp,ect.

Roaches you just get a rubbermaid tote with a lid with screen on it, then just keep the bin above 75f, and put in cardboard egg cartons and leftover veggies. You almost never have to clean. roaches can live over a year.

Crickets require the same tote, but you have to have screen on at least 2 opposite sides else they fart themselves to death. Yes if the cricket bin stinks for you, it really stinks for them. Then you have to have some tupaware dishes with moist soil in it for them to lay eggs in. Then it gets complicated because now you have to rotate said dishes into fish tanks every week, till the little guys are big enough to not fit through the screen of the adult bin. Normally by age 2 week they are big enough for the adult bin. Crickets live 6-8 weeks.

Crickets are dirtier and will need cleaning once a generation 6-8 weeks.
Thank you for this information! Maybe I'll breed some dubias :) Crickets sound like a little much haha. We live 5 minutes away from a pet store so it's no big deal if we have to buy those lol

There are many care sheets available that can answer your questions on specific feeders. I don't have them available right now but you can google em up or get advice from forum members. Depends on the amount and type you want to raise to determine container size,temp,ect.
Ok! Will do! :)

I've read some articles that say it is helpful to breed your own feeders. What is your opinion on this? Is it worth the time or does it not really make a difference?
Wait for it... It depends.

IDK about "helpful". You can properly gut load your feeders whether they're homegrown or store-bought. Can't say that homegrown are any "better" otherwise. YMMV.

Economics depends on how many mouths you're feeding (how many reptiles you keep).
For just one or two, IMO breeding feeders isn't worthwhile—it IS an investment and ongoing commitment of time & re$sources. OTOH, if you're breeding reptiles, it probably doesn't make sense not to breed your own feeders.

I think some people undoubtedly find it "rewarding" in different ways. Everyone's different—whatever gets you up in the morning. :rolleyes:

Wait for it... It depends.

IDK about "helpful". You can properly gut load your feeders whether they're homegrown or store-bought. Can't say that homegrown are any "better" otherwise. YMMV.

Economics depends on how many mouths you're feeding (how many reptiles you keep).
For just one or two, IMO breeding feeders isn't worthwhile—it IS an investment and ongoing commitment of time & re$sources. OTOH, if you're breeding reptiles, it probably doesn't make sense not to breed your own feeders.

I think some people undoubtedly find it "rewarding" in different ways. Everyone's different—whatever gets you up in the morning. :rolleyes:
Thank you for your input!

Back
Top Bottom