Breeding my veiled

I have a female veiled and I'm going to breed her. Can I keep her an the male in the same cage or should I get a new cage for the male? Thanks! Any help needed badly.

I agree with Jann. If you just started keeping chameleons, learn all about keeping an adult healthy for atleast a year or so before you attempt to bring a bunch of babies into the world.

Every single question you could possibly ask has been answered hundreds of times on this forum. Since you are clearly not here to take the advice of anyone on this forum, just do the research. If you type in your question on Google or under search at top of this forum, you'll find the answer.

In a previous post you asked 'Should I breed?'. Pretty much everyone on there told you no, or not yet, learn some more.

If you don't even know that you can't keep them together it would be completely irresponsible for you to attempt breeding.

Seriously, if you are not going to listen to the experienced keepers on the forums when they answer your posts, why bother asking at all?

Like the previous poster said, just go look up how to do it on Google.

Harsh, probably but I am getting tired of people who don't do their own research and only read what they want to see.

In a previous post you asked 'Should I breed?'. Pretty much everyone on there told you no, or not yet, learn some more.

If you don't even know that you can't keep them together it would be completely irresponsible for you to attempt breeding.

Seriously, if you are not going to listen to the experienced keepers on the forums when they answer your posts, why bother asking at all?

Like the previous poster said, just go look up how to do it on Google.

Harsh, probably but I am getting tired of people who don't do their own research and only read what they want to see.

I'm just gunna quote this because its exactly what I wanted to say ;)

I am going to wait

Ik I have to wait a while before I do breed I am just doing some research. Y'all on here don't even know how to not be a jerk. I thought these forms were going to help me out but no one even helps me. I just want some advice. I have done a lot of research but I just wanted a little personal experience type of advice. I love chameleons and really wish y'all would understand I'm not a dumb little kid.

If you had done ANY research you'd know that you can't keep the male and female together. That's rule #1. Just enjoy the cham you have and work hard at giving it the best life you can! Get some hands on experience before you start breeding. There's stuff for everyone to learn about these beautiful critters! I read all the new threads I here about ten times a day!! It's great info! Just be patient:)
People just get annoyed when others are all in a rush to do things they aren't yet ready for. My advice is patience!

If you had done ANY research you'd know that you can't keep the male and female together. That's rule #1. Just enjoy the cham you have and work hard at giving it the best life you can! Get some hands on experience before you start breeding. There's stuff for everyone to learn about these beautiful critters! I read all the new threads I here about ten times a day!! It's great info! Just be patient:)
People just get annoyed when others are all in a rush to do things they aren't yet ready for. My advice is patience!

I kinda knew not to but was just wandering if anyone else had before. That's all about keeping them together.

do a lot of research, and in a year if you think you still want to breed then do it.
Right now you are obliviously not ready.

Monkeyman, no one is being a jerk. They're being incredibly insightful and helpful. If you were to breed today, you'd have hundreds of problems tomorrow. And they are letting you know that in advance.
There is a difference between being critical, and just offering advice. If you read Ninkylou's post, they are being 100% honest. I too am fed-up with people joining these forums and just trying to get feed-back that they want to hear, and not take in to any consideration for what people have to offer. There have been too many cases where people who have just gotten into chameleons go off and breed them, then a few months down the road they are back here with a million concerns and issues that could have been avoided if they had just waited.
So once again, we as a community are not being jerks. We are trying to prevent the same mistake happening over and over again.

Monkeyman, no one is being a jerk. They're being incredibly insightful and helpful. If you were to breed today, you'd have hundreds of problems tomorrow. And they are letting you know that in advance.
There is a difference between being critical, and just offering advice. If you read Ninkylou's post, they are being 100% honest. I too am fed-up with people joining these forums and just trying to get feed-back that they want to hear, and not take in to any consideration for what people have to offer. There have been too many cases where people who have just gotten into chameleons go off and breed them, then a few months down the road they are back here with a million concerns and issues that could have been avoided if they had just waited.
So once again, we as a community are not being jerks. We are trying to prevent the same mistake happening over and over again.

Dude. I am not trying to breed right my chameleon now. I am just gonna wait like a year.

And I thought these forms were to ask questions on.

The forums are totally to ask questions, and we all have been new to chameleon keeping and asked hundreds of them. I always try my best to use the search function for my answers before I post a new thread. The great thing about the forums is the long running threads and common questions that get answered and the number of differing opinions and experiences.

The Care Resources link is also a great place to start getting information on a topic.

I'm really glad you have come to the forums to learn about caring for your Chameleon, hopefully its one less that ends up on Craiglist or getting MBD or worse, just dying from poor husbandry.

I was not trying to be a jerk, and if I came across that way I apologize. I love my chameleons and there are amazing creatures and its because of that I am very passionate about seeing that the breeding lines are not corrupted and inbreeding doesn't occur. When this happens we weaken the breed, and unwanted character traits get passed to future generations. Our goal should be to strengthen our captive bred stock so we can reduce the number of wild caught chams that get pulled from their natural habitats.

I would think that it would be a challenge in a particular location, if you purchased your breeding pair from a pet store, to not get a male and a female who share familial lines. With Panthers I think this is less likely as the lineage it tracked more frequently. If you got your Cham at Petsmart of Petco, I would not be surprised if they came from the same family.

Again, if I sounded like a jerk I apologize, I don't want to scare you off the forums. There is so much here. Drink it all in, be a sponge, in a few years if you still want to embark on a breeding project you will have a new point of view when you do it and have a much better chance of success.

Good luck and welcome.

The forums are totally to ask questions, and we all have been new to chameleon keeping and asked hundreds of them. I always try my best to use the search function for my answers before I post a new thread. The great thing about the forums is the long running threads and common questions that get answered and the number of differing opinions and experiences.

The Care Resources link is also a great place to start getting information on a topic.

I'm really glad you have come to the forums to learn about caring for your Chameleon, hopefully its one less that ends up on Craiglist or getting MBD or worse, just dying from poor husbandry.

I was not trying to be a jerk, and if I came across that way I apologize. I love my chameleons and there are amazing creatures and its because of that I am very passionate about seeing that the breeding lines are not corrupted and inbreeding doesn't occur. When this happens we weaken the breed, and unwanted character traits get passed to future generations. Our goal should be to strengthen our captive bred stock so we can reduce the number of wild caught chams that get pulled from their natural habitats.

I would think that it would be a challenge in a particular location, if you purchased your breeding pair from a pet store, to not get a male and a female who share familial lines. With Panthers I think this is less likely as the lineage it tracked more frequently. If you got your Cham at Petsmart of Petco, I would not be surprised if they came from the same family.

Again, if I sounded like a jerk I apologize, I don't want to scare you off the forums. There is so much here. Drink it all in, be a sponge, in a few years if you still want to embark on a breeding project you will have a new point of view when you do it and have a much better chance of success.

Good luck and welcome.

It wasn't you being the jerk. Others were. I also love my chameleon and wouldn't dream of selling her. I dust her crickets with calcium everyday and vitamins once a week to prevent MBD. I want to breed her because I am sad they only live 5 years! I already have a female and am thinking about getting a male from lll reptiles if I decide to breed. I was just curious about how coastline it is. I was going to breed them and sell all but like 2

It wasn't you being the jerk. Others were. I also love my chameleon and wouldn't dream of selling her. I dust her crickets with calcium everyday and vitamins once a week to prevent MBD. I want to breed her because I am sad they only live 5 years! I already have a female and am thinking about getting a male from lll reptiles if I decide to breed. I was just curious about how coastline it is. I was going to breed them and sell all but like 2

Also I had no idea about the search thing.

Back
Top Bottom