Breeding hornworms

So I’ve decided to start breeding hornworms to save money. I know a lot of people say they are to big and eventually they get pretty big so I will feed them to the Chams when they are pretty small. So from what I know so far I use tomato’s,red bell peppers, and dandelion leaves( made sure they are pesticide and insect free). I know they are ready to pupate when they are about three-four inches long,stop eating, and have a largely visible vein down their back. Will feed the moths cotton balls with sugar water(1 cup water to 1 tablespoon brown sugar) and keep in a screen enclosure(still figuring out what to use) and remove all eggs daily. I was wondering I anybody has any tips or could tell me what I’m doing wrong. Heres one of my bigger ones right now.
image.jpg

He is not ready to pupate yet... They get like gross fat and do not move around as much. They stop eating... Right now that is just a happy chunky worm lol.

Thats awesome! Ive always wanted to, havent had the time but I dont think your suppose to feed the tomato. Ive read there is a compund that is toxic to chameleons, thats why your NOT suppose to feed off wild ones.

So I can feed tomatos to hornworms when they are out of chow?
Personally I only feed hornworm chow... I have fed them carrots or dandelion greens when I run out and am waiting for more chow. But I find that they really do not do well on veg when they have been on chow.

I do not use any part of the tomato plant because it is in the nightshade family. I choose not to risk it at all lol.

Personally I only feed hornworm chow... I have fed them carrots or dandelion greens when I run out and am waiting for more chow. But I find that they really do not do well on veg when they have been on chow.

I do not use any part of the tomato plant because it is in the nightshade family. I choose not to risk it at all lol.
Yea chow is so much easier for cleanup too!

And is there a vegetable I should use because I read they can do tomatoes on another post and they ate most of one in a few hours. And chow is pretty expensive so I was wondering if there was a cheaper option

Okay so today I ordered a bunch of chow and am using chopped up carrot until it gets here and I think this one is ready to pupate.
image.jpg
okay so I ordered a bunch of chow. I think this one is ready to pupate and I was wondering what to use as substrate. This one has stopped eating and just climbing and trying to hide.

Back
Top Bottom