Breeding green banana roaches need some help :)

ZuggieTheCham

So we are goin to try and breed the banana roaches but i can not find any thing on them as care sheet or tip and tricks of the trade lol so i was hoping someone on ere can help us out :) and also i have seen that they need high humidity so we have got a heat mat on the bottom but should we have it on 24/7 or 12 hours on and off ?? We also have put pictures up of the set up on my last post about these guys if u want to see how we got it set up and give us some tips would be helpful :) :)

Forgot to ask about how often do
U think we should mist them as much as we do for zuggie ?? And i dont mean the amount of water, how many times a day ?? Lol

Whoa, calm down there, haha.

Here's what I posted on Chameleon forums about P.nivea care:

"Keep them in a sterilite container with two inches of coir substrate. Mix in a handfull or more of hydrated water crystals into the substrate to help keep up the humidity. Add a dish for food and one for water crystals. Put egg carton on the side opposite of the two dishes. Make sure to stack the egg cartons on top of each. The nymphs are brown and burrow, so you won't really see them much. The adults usually stay in the egg carton, so finding adults to feed off is easy. Use a lamp with a heat bulb (incandescent black/red bulbs are perfect and cheap). Cut a rectangle out of the sterilite lid (put the scissors under hot water before cutting-it helps with cutting the plastic). The use a glue gun to attach screen mesh to cover the rectangular hole. These guys need ventilation, but not too much-they like things humid. Add a good two inches of barrier to the inside top of the bin as an extra level of security. These guys have no problem climbing and can fly well.

Sterilite containers are the best (and cheapest) way to go for roaches. The plastic block out the light. Make sure you buy one that is opaque (mine are gray and work great). You don't need a big bin for these roaches-they like things cramped."

The trick once set up is to keep the set up well misted and humid.
80-90 degrees shouldn't be an issue as long as it doesn't dry out.

Hope that helps!

So havin the heat mat is fine then and
If so should i keep it on all the time ?? And i have pics on my other post on my set up if u will have a look and tell me wot else needs doin or things to change that would really help :) and thank you for the help :)

O ye forgot to ask the main question aswell how good are this for your cham are they stable feeder or more a treat or something u can give every other day reali do not have a clue about this guys lol

O ye forgot to ask the main question aswell how good are this for your cham are they stable feeder or more a treat or something u can give every other day reali do not have a clue about this guys lol

They make a great staple :) you can feed everyday.

Well that is great to hear :) thank you can u tell me this one question i want to no please no1 else seems to say lol should i be leaving the heat mat on 24/7 but at the same time i dont want to be burning my flat down ?? lol

what kind of container are they being held in? honestly, it's much safer to not use a heat pad and use a black light heat bulb over the container instead. don't use a regular lightbulb as roaches hate light.

P. nivea is great for chams. unfortunately, each insect has very little meat, so you have to mix with other feeders as well.

make sure you have 2 inches of substrate (coir/coco bark) and keep thing very moist all the time.

Green banana roaches Panchlora nivea can and are used as staples in diets by some people. By staple I mean a regular part of the diet. No one insect should be used solely. One must keep in mind that they can and will fly when the mood strikes. They can fly pretty well and climb. Those two qualities while making them more difficult to contain and work with, are also two of the factors, along with their ree coloration and soft bodies that make them so eagerly eaten by many chameleons.

We were surprised when we initially got requests for them. But as time went on I can say they are about the prettiest feeder roach or bug for that matter.
They seem to beone of the more requested feeder among people with chameleons and mantids such as violin mantids.

Keep them very humid. Some rotting wood in the substrate which they also eat as well as fruits such as bananas and grated carrots are also good.

what kind of container are they being held in? honestly, it's much safer to not use a heat pad and use a black light heat bulb over the container instead. don't use a regular lightbulb as roaches hate light.

P. nivea is great for chams. unfortunately, each insect has very little meat, so you have to mix with other feeders as well.

make sure you have 2 inches of substrate (coir/coco bark) and keep thing very moist all the time.

If you look on my other posts theres pictures on there of there tub, its got a mesh top with around 2 inch of soil with some egg cups and toilet roll middles so they can hide, and ive gone and baught the heat mat lol its all taped to the bottom now, but shall i have it on all the time, do u leave the light on all the time if u use a light? An we spray them when we spray zuggie so there well misted and ive noticed too when u spray them they all come out they love it lol! an thats good to know that he can have them when he wants cause he loves them he goes crazy for them!! And we have silks breedin atm too :) sp he has quite a veriaty of silks, banana roaches, crickets, and mario worms :) he loves them marios but dont give him many just one every couple of days or so as a treat :)

Green banana roaches Panchlora nivea can and are used as staples in diets by some people. By staple I mean a regular part of the diet. No one insect should be used solely. One must keep in mind that they can and will fly when the mood strikes. They can fly pretty well and climb. Those two qualities while making them more difficult to contain and work with, are also two of the factors, along with their ree coloration and soft bodies that make them so eagerly eaten by many chameleons.

We were surprised when we initially got requests for them. But as time went on I can say they are about the prettiest feeder roach or bug for that matter.
They seem to beone of the more requested feeder among people with chameleons and mantids such as violin mantids.

Keep them very humid. Some rotting wood in the substrate which they also eat as well as fruits such as bananas and grated carrots are also good.

Good good :) and hes got around 4-5 different bugs so he has a nice veriaty :) and omg dont i kno it!!!! I was transfering them about 5 escaped and we was all chasin them around the room and there so hard to catch, but ive heard that if u put them in the fridge for 5 mins b4 handling them then there alot slower and yeah ur right they are nice to look at too i just ignore the fact its a roach lol they a nice colour too :)

Ill try get some rotting wood!! Does it matter if its from outside? What if its got bugs already in it? N if they eat it then that wont harm my cham in the long run will it?

Thankyou so much for ur reply!
Big help :)

Back
Top Bottom