Breeding enclosure?

agdrac8

Hi there,

My husband and I have had chameleons for a little over 4 years now, and he's always been interested in breeding. We never felt like we had space though (we live in a 1 bedroom apartment), especially because we had two male chameleons in separate enclosures. Sadly, one of our buddies just passed away and we really need to move his enclosure now. We don't want a new chameleon just yet, definitely not ready. But, we did want to use this as a positive for our other chameleon and get him a super large, nice enclosure. We want to turn that area to a place of joy. Currently, he's in the large ZooMed enclosure (the one in the chameleon kit). I would love to increase the width and the height of his enclosure. Obviously there are the larger ZooMed enclosures, but I'd love to get a really nice wooden enclosure with the lights inside.

Eventually, when we're ready (and in a much bigger place), I'd love to get a female to breed with our beautiful Nosy Mitsio. My question is what kind of enclosure should I look for? I've heard of enclosures that have a divider in the middle for breeding. Ideally, I'd love to invest in a quality enclosure and be able to house my male nosy with a female (and a divider) down the line. Any suggestions? Thank you! :)

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss.

All of the ones I have seen with removable dividers were built enclosures. There is nothing that I know of on the market that is designed for this. Since they are only put together for a short period of time I have not heard of anyone doing a larger enclosure for breeding.

You can attach the two enclosures if they are the same size pretty easily and just pull the screen out on the sides that meet in the middle. Use flat brackets and screw them into each side of the cage. will make it secure too.

If your using the cage from the cham kit this is actually a 16x16x30 which is quite small for an adult male. So I am sure he would love the extra room.

Chameleons don't do well with change.....in the wild they live in the same familiar space..Bush--tree their whole life....when I add a branch to an enclosure where I think one should be, the cham will fire up & stay in a corner for a day to a week sometimes...until it knows the branch isn't a threat lol..

Back
Top Bottom