Breeding dubias

TKR

is it beter to breed them in a big colony or a couple at a time? can u guys send pix of your dubia set ups? and what you feed them etc.. thanks =)

It takes 20-30 to produce babies, it isn't hard to keep and raise them.The link below is to a post I did that covers setup and feeding for a feeder colony.

Dubias Sweet: Post 13

is it beter to breed them in a big colony or a couple at a time? can u guys send pix of your dubia set ups? and what you feed them etc.. thanks =)

thanks alot, i just saw the threads and they were very helpful =) i cant wait to get mine started. i bought 100 sm-med, and a couple pairs of adults. hopefully that will start off a good colony.

I just started a colony also and so far so good. I started with 30 adult females and 8 or so males. I found someone on craigslist that had the adults close to my house from thinning his colony. I also got 100 small and 100 med-large nymphs from on here (thanks Brian) and there were a lot of babies in the cups from him too. After a week 2 adults that were pregnant gave birth and the colony seems to be doing good :) Super easy to care for, both my Chams love them. WAY better than the crickets I was feeding previously. Best of luck! Oh, if you buy adults from someone local go and see if you can pick out some pregnant adults, it's easy to tell you can see the egg sac, that way you can get started right away! Babies can climb so put a little line of Vaseline around the bin, none of my babies have crossed it they just go up to it and stop. Also, for the water crystals home depot or wal mart have them CHEAP. Hope this helps, it's all great advice I've gotten from people here when I was starting out :)

water crystal info

Yes you can get them there, I got some at Lowes. They are called Soil Moist Granules. Just make sure the type you get doesn't also contain fertilizer. The ones I got say right on there that it is not a plant food. Just plain ol' water crystals!

dang thats awsome, how much are they?

Yes you can get them there, I got some at Lowes. They are called Soil Moist Granules. Just make sure the type you get doesn't also contain fertilizer. The ones I got say right on there that it is not a plant food. Just plain ol' water crystals!

7-10 dollars I believe for a pound of crystals which will last a LONG long time for a colony starting out!

The more roaches the easier they are to breed.

I don't use water crystals- never have. Mine do great with the moisture content of fresh (and not so fresh) veggies and fruits and table scraps...

Back
Top Bottom