Breeding dubia roaches

Discussion in 'Chameleon Food' started by EarlMT, Mar 14, 2017.

1. EarlMT

EarlMT Member

I had a few questions on this topic. What size container would you need for a pretty small colony(to feed one chameleon)? How many would I need to start out with? What temp/heat source would I need? Do I need to move nymphs into separate containers or can they be left with the adults?
    Thanks!

2. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Avid Member

I'll just give you what i did and is working well. They are reproducing faster than i can feed them out to my 1 cham by a long shot.

I have one of those sterlite bins a little over a foot long, foot high, and probably 10 inches wide or so. It is the slick plastic that they can't climb. I had them in a bin with slightly coarser plastic and they could climb the walls. I leave all the nymphs together with the rest. I got 100 mixed from nick barta(fullthrottlefeeders) which was more than enough. I also grabbed the cleaner beetles and put them in with the roaches. They eat poop, mold, dead bugs, old food, etc. I have not needed to clean their bin since i got them. My dubia never smell, aren't that messy, and are easy to deal with all around. I know a lot of people recommend flexwatt for a heat source. I am lucky enough to have a big closet next to my cham cage i keep my roach bins in and use a space heater on thermostat for about 80-90. Everything has gone well. I feed organic/washed leftover fruit/veggies, bug buffet, and frozen cubes of blended veggies, seeds, fruit, beepollen, kelp, spirulina. etc.

3. EarlMT

EarlMT Member

Thanks! Does Nick have the cleaner beetle's also?

4. EarlMT

EarlMT Member

Also what would all of you guys reccomend for a good source of food for a veiled chameleon? I've been getting crickets dubias and hornworms and I'm waitingfor my snails to breed. A preferred kind of roach over the dubia? Or a specific stick insect?

5. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Avid Member

Yessir nick has the cleaner beetles.

I have a panther, but i'd imagine they eat the same bugs. I feed

Orangehead roaches (keep like dubia and are a bit larger as adults)
    Dubias
    Crickets
    Hornworm
    Silkworm
    Black soldier fly larvae
    Butterworms
    Superworm as treat
    Waxworm even rarer treat

opheliaeatsbugs and EarlMT like this.
  6. EarlMT

EarlMT Member

Awesome thanks! Do you add any substrate or egg cartons or just leave the floor bare?

7. ChamLB

ChamLB Avid Member

We use egg crates or paper egg carton up on end leaned against the side of the container. Leave airspace between them.

8. EarlMT

EarlMT Member

Ok cool, thankyou for the help guys!

9. WAMBO

WAMBO Chameleon Enthusiast

lots of vids, but this one is helpful for eggcrate use

opheliaeatsbugs and EarlMT like this.
  10. timw1

timw1 Member

I use a vented (hole with screen siliconed in place) plastic tub with a heat pad underneath. Inside I use egg crates. You can buy a starter colony to get you up and running. I feed the roach food from the place I buy them from and supplement with fresh veggies and fruit. They are a great feeder and do not smell at all.

Attached Files:

jamest0o0 and EarlMT like this.
  11. timw1

timw1 Member

Yup, that's an escapee next to the heat pad. Gotta watch when you lift an eggcrate out.....lol

12. EarlMT

EarlMT Member

Where would I be able to get egg crates?

13. WAMBO

WAMBO Chameleon Enthusiast

Josh's frogs, LLLReptile, and other site sponsors sell them.

14. walzy444

walzy444 Member

My work office has a cafeteria and they go through a ton of eggs for breakfast so I have them save a few for me when i need them. Free :) or try a bakery, breakfast place or someplace that goes thro a ton of eggs, they get them on the big flats.

EarlMT and WAMBO like this.
  15. Graves923

Graves923 Established Member

Pretty much what was mentioned is how I do it. If the colony started breeding faster than you can feed them off just remove the heat and keep the colony around room temp (upper 60s F) and they will stop breeding. I usually let them breed for a month or two then cool them for a few months. I usually only feed my cham the medium sized ones and my tarantulas get the medium and large. I actually donate a good amount to my cousin regularly since she has a bearded dragon that loves dubias.

jamest0o0 likes this.
  16. Big Gulp

Big Gulp Established Member

Interesting. How many did you get?

Also, do the cleaner beetles end up breeding? And, who cleans up THEIR poop? ;)

17. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Avid Member

I got a cup of them from nick barta, there's a lot. They bred like crazy for me, micro mealworms and friends everywhere!

As far as cleaning up their poop, they actually install mini sewage systems and efficiently dispose of their own waste. They are top notch cleaner beetles.

Big Gulp likes this.
  18. Big Gulp

Big Gulp Established Member

I went to Nick's site but don't see them anywhere..

19. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Avid Member

Fullthrottlefeeders should be right under beetle cultures

20. timw1

timw1 Member