Breeding dubia roaches

EarlMT

I had a few questions on this topic. What size container would you need for a pretty small colony(to feed one chameleon)? How many would I need to start out with? What temp/heat source would I need? Do I need to move nymphs into separate containers or can they be left with the adults?
Thanks!

I'll just give you what i did and is working well. They are reproducing faster than i can feed them out to my 1 cham by a long shot.

I have one of those sterlite bins a little over a foot long, foot high, and probably 10 inches wide or so. It is the slick plastic that they can't climb. I had them in a bin with slightly coarser plastic and they could climb the walls. I leave all the nymphs together with the rest. I got 100 mixed from nick barta(fullthrottlefeeders) which was more than enough. I also grabbed the cleaner beetles and put them in with the roaches. They eat poop, mold, dead bugs, old food, etc. I have not needed to clean their bin since i got them. My dubia never smell, aren't that messy, and are easy to deal with all around. I know a lot of people recommend flexwatt for a heat source. I am lucky enough to have a big closet next to my cham cage i keep my roach bins in and use a space heater on thermostat for about 80-90. Everything has gone well. I feed organic/washed leftover fruit/veggies, bug buffet, and frozen cubes of blended veggies, seeds, fruit, beepollen, kelp, spirulina. etc.

I'll just give you what i did and is working well. They are reproducing faster than i can feed them out to my 1 cham by a long shot.

I have one of those sterlite bins a little over a foot long, foot high, and probably 10 inches wide or so. It is the slick plastic that they can't climb. I had them in a bin with slightly coarser plastic and they could climb the walls. I leave all the nymphs together with the rest. I got 100 mixed from nick barta(fullthrottlefeeders) which was more than enough. I also grabbed the cleaner beetles and put them in with the roaches. They eat poop, mold, dead bugs, old food, etc. I have not needed to clean their bin since i got them. My dubia never smell, aren't that messy, and are easy to deal with all around. I know a lot of people recommend flexwatt for a heat source. I am lucky enough to have a big closet next to my cham cage i keep my roach bins in and use a space heater on thermostat for about 80-90. Everything has gone well. I feed organic/washed leftover fruit/veggies, bug buffet, and frozen cubes of blended veggies, seeds, fruit, beepollen, kelp, spirulina. etc.
Thanks! Does Nick have the cleaner beetle's also?

Also what would all of you guys reccomend for a good source of food for a veiled chameleon? I've been getting crickets dubias and hornworms and I'm waitingfor my snails to breed. A preferred kind of roach over the dubia? Or a specific stick insect?

Yessir nick has the cleaner beetles.

I have a panther, but i'd imagine they eat the same bugs. I feed

Orangehead roaches (keep like dubia and are a bit larger as adults)
Dubias
Crickets
Hornworm
Silkworm
Black soldier fly larvae
Butterworms
Superworm as treat
Waxworm even rarer treat

Yessir nick has the cleaner beetles.

I have a panther, but i'd imagine they eat the same bugs. I feed

Orangehead roaches (keep like dubia and are a bit larger as adults)
Dubias
Crickets
Hornworm
Silkworm
Black soldier fly larvae
Butterworms
Superworm as treat
Waxworm even rarer treat
Awesome thanks! Do you add any substrate or egg cartons or just leave the floor bare?

We use egg crates or paper egg carton up on end leaned against the side of the container. Leave airspace between them.

I use a vented (hole with screen siliconed in place) plastic tub with a heat pad underneath. Inside I use egg crates. You can buy a starter colony to get you up and running. I feed the roach food from the place I buy them from and supplement with fresh veggies and fruit. They are a great feeder and do not smell at all.

Attachments

• 20170315_203014.jpg
    20170315_203014.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 20170315_203029.jpg
    20170315_203029.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 341
  • 20170315_203100.jpg
    20170315_203100.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 164
Yup, that's an escapee next to the heat pad. Gotta watch when you lift an eggcrate out.....lol

I use a vented (hole with screen siliconed in place) plastic tub with a heat pad underneath. Inside I use egg crates. You can buy a starter colony to get you up and running. I feed the roach food from the place I buy them from and supplement with fresh veggies and fruit. They are a great feeder and do not smell at all.
Where would I be able to get egg crates?

Where would I be able to get egg crates?
My work office has a cafeteria and they go through a ton of eggs for breakfast so I have them save a few for me when i need them. Free :) or try a bakery, breakfast place or someplace that goes thro a ton of eggs, they get them on the big flats.

Pretty much what was mentioned is how I do it. If the colony started breeding faster than you can feed them off just remove the heat and keep the colony around room temp (upper 60s F) and they will stop breeding. I usually let them breed for a month or two then cool them for a few months. I usually only feed my cham the medium sized ones and my tarantulas get the medium and large. I actually donate a good amount to my cousin regularly since she has a bearded dragon that loves dubias.

I also grabbed the cleaner beetles and put them in with the roaches. They eat poop, mold, dead bugs, old food, etc.
Interesting. How many did you get?

Also, do the cleaner beetles end up breeding? And, who cleans up THEIR poop? ;)

I got a cup of them from nick barta, there's a lot. They bred like crazy for me, micro mealworms and friends everywhere!

As far as cleaning up their poop, they actually install mini sewage systems and efficiently dispose of their own waste. They are top notch cleaner beetles.

I got a cup of them from nick barta, there's a lot. They bred like crazy for me, micro mealworms and friends everywhere!

As far as cleaning up their poop, they actually install mini sewage systems and efficiently dispose of their own waste. They are top notch cleaner beetles.
I went to Nick's site but don't see them anywhere..

Back
Top Bottom