breeder ethics question

Raphael1047

Established Member
As you may or may not know I have a clutch of panther chameleons. They are doing great and all, but i have a problem the second clutch of babies are hatching sooner than expected. I don't know if I have the space for them.

Here is my question would it be wrong to sell month old babies locally to experienced chameleon owners. Even though i really doubt I would sell them at a month old even if the whole forum said it was okay. i just want to make sure that I can provide the best care for these clutches and i don't know if i can do that with like 75 chameleons!

You can do it!

Honestly, your going to have to find the answer within you. It sounds like you know what you should do but are thinking of what the future "may or MAY NOT" bring. 75 babies is some work but is very manageable. Just get a good game plan going now. Know how much food your kids now are eating, care and time and set up a schedule. If your organized it will be much better.

Good luck :)

As you may or may not know I have a clutch of panther chameleons. They are doing great and all, but i have a problem the second clutch of babies are hatching sooner than expected. I don't know if I have the space for them.

Here is my question would it be wrong to sell month old babies locally to experienced chameleon owners. Even though i really doubt I would sell them at a month old even if the whole forum said it was okay. i just want to make sure that I can provide the best care for these clutches and i don't know if i can do that with like 75 chameleons!

as long as it is someone you know and trust to take care of them-- and they are hand delivered (not shipped) -- i could see selling them young not being an issue.

Honestly its all up to you just like ataraxia said and your other option would be to drop 30 babies off at my house :p ill babysit!

You can do it!

Honestly, your going to have to find the answer within you. It sounds like you know what you should do but are thinking of what the future "may or MAY NOT" bring. 75 babies is some work but is very manageable. Just get a good game plan going now. Know how much food your kids now are eating, care and time and set up a schedule. If your organized it will be much better.

Good luck :)
Thanks for the quick reply, i find that 30 is not that hard to maintain, but then again they are only a month old. When they need to be separated this might change. And thanks for the good luck.:D
as long as it is someone you know and trust to take care of them-- and they are hand delivered (not shipped) -- i could see selling them young not being an issue.
Of course, i would question them, and i would feel safer if it was a forum member.
Honestly its all up to you just like ataraxia said and your other option would be to drop 30 babies off at my house :p ill babysit!
Thanks for giving me more options :rolleyes: lol

Naby chameleons

Im waiting for my Bearded Dragons to give birth ..I have 82 eggs but Besrded Dragons lay clutches which I jave 4 right now so theres time in between like 2-4weeks which separate each clutch..so I know how your feeling but i feel ive had great advice and theres nothing much to do other keep their area clean and feed them..But Im willing to help you if you need I live in Oceanside ca if that helps you in any way..by the way I have a beautiful Panther Chameleon named Ranho Jr..wjo im thinking of mating him in future hes 1 yr and in contest this month..good luck with your babies!

Im waiting for my Bearded Dragons to give birth ..I have 82 eggs but Besrded Dragons lay clutches which I jave 4 right now so theres time in between like 2-4weeks which separate each clutch..so I know how your feeling but i feel ive had great advice and theres nothing much to do other keep their area clean and feed them..But Im willing to help you if you need I live in Oceanside ca if that helps you in any way..by the way I have a beautiful Panther Chameleon named Ranho Jr..wjo im thinking of mating him in future hes 1 yr and in contest this month..good luck with your babies!

Thanks for the very nice offer to help and the good luck, but I live in northern cal. I am not really concerned about the how to care more of the space to care for them.

I would recommend just buying more cages and lights so that you can properly raise them all to a safe age. Yes it is a bit of cash out of your pocket, but I would think you will easily get that money back by selling your chameleons down the road. This will also give you the peace of mind in knowing that your chameleons are ready to leave your care. Realistically you probably would only need to buy 2 or 3 additional screen cages, and a 48" uvb fixture and bulb to put over top of all the cages. No additional heating required and you can even hand mist to save some extra money. Raise up your own crickets to cut that cost. You're probably only looking at a couple hundred bucks out of your pocket. Good luck with whatever you choose tho

I would recommend just buying more cages and lights so that you can properly raise them all to a safe age. Yes it is a bit of cash out of your pocket, but I would think you will easily get that money back by selling your chameleons down the road. This will also give you the peace of mind in knowing that your chameleons are ready to leave your care. Realistically you probably would only need to buy 2 or 3 additional screen cages, and a 48" uvb fixture and bulb to put over top of all the cages. No additional heating required and you can even hand mist to save some extra money. Raise up your own crickets to cut that cost. You're probably only looking at a couple hundred bucks out of your pocket. Good luck with whatever you choose tho

Thank you for the good luck and the advice. I Don't mind the extra cash to raise babies right. I already breed crickets, dubias and other insects so i think i am good there. Also i already have a aquazamp.

I would have to look at the reality of keeping them and being able to give them the care they need. It's easy to think you can do it, once life starts to hit and you get busy, will they suffer? If not, keep them and you will feel better about selling them later and they are worth more also. I have gotten in over my head before and lost animals due to my inability to juggle everything at once. That was 20 years ago and learned my lesson. It was very painful to see an animal die and the cause be me. @ one month they are fairly established and should be fine with a local move. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

looks like my opinion is alil diff then the others... i wouldnt sell my babies at 1 month old, theres a reason most everyone waits 2-3 months before sellin babies..IMO they just arnt hardy enough to be shipped an messed at that age, i know some sell this young to people that have raised babies even then with mixed results so i wait close to 3 months before they get shipped out..

looks like my opinion is alil diff then the others... i wouldnt sell my babies at 1 month old, theres a reason most everyone waits 2-3 months before sellin babies..IMO they just arnt hardy enough to be shipped an messed at that age, i know some sell this young to people that have raised babies even then with mixed results so i wait close to 3 months before they get shipped out..

I think most agree with you, it may be better to sale a few young than potentially lose some IMO.

I wish I lived close to you. I'd help you with one of the clutches. Maybe you can fine someone close to you, like a stay at home mom to raise one of the clutches for you if you really feel that you can't do it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom