Breed recommendations

I am very sad to say that my male Veiled Chameleon, George, passed away recently. I miss him a lot, but I did not have the heart to break down his enclosure, which is very well planted. Plus he had a breeding supply of dubias in a large Rubbermaid container, and I've kept feeding them, of course. (Hungry little guys, but I kind of like them in their own way.)

So, in the near future, I may want to get a new chameleon. I've looked at the various caresheets in the Resources. I'm familiar with Veileds now, and would happily get another, but I wondered about the general differences, particularly in temperment of other popular breeds like Panther or Jacksons. (I realize this can vary widely among individuals.) I would appreciate any advice about selecting a breed. How did you gravitate to the breeds you keep?

I have an enclosure that can probably support any breed. It's a Dragonstrand Atrium (4'x2'x4' w x d x h, approximately) with a Mist King misting system and a quad T5HO lamp set that includes Arcadia UVB and plant bulbs. It has a lot of plants (from the safe plant list), and even a little hidden glen in the back corner made by covering a little section with bamboo mat. The only restriction is that I don't have any provision for a nesting box, so I should probably stick with a male chameleon.

Thanks for your help!

I am very sad to say that my male Veiled Chameleon, George, passed away recently. I miss him a lot, but I did not have the heart to break down his enclosure, which is very well planted. Plus he had a breeding supply of dubias in a large Rubbermaid container, and I've kept feeding them, of course. (Hungry little guys, but I kind of like them in their own way.)

So, in the near future, I may want to get a new chameleon. I've looked at the various caresheets in the Resources. I'm familiar with Veileds now, and would happily get another, but I wondered about the general differences, particularly in temperment of other popular breeds like Panther or Jacksons. (I realize this can vary widely among individuals.) I would appreciate any advice about selecting a breed. How did you gravitate to the breeds you keep?

I have an enclosure that can probably support any breed. It's a Dragonstrand Atrium (4'x2'x4' w x d x h, approximately) with a Mist King misting system and a quad T5HO lamp set that includes Arcadia UVB and plant bulbs. It has a lot of plants (from the safe plant list), and even a little hidden glen in the back corner made by covering a little section with bamboo mat. The only restriction is that I don't have any provision for a nesting box, so I should probably stick with a male chameleon.

Thanks for your help!
I love my panthers! I picked them over veileds because they don’t have the giant casque, are generally nicer, and more colorful with tons of variations! They also don’t like it as hot, which is good because we keep our house on the cooler side, and they like it more humid, which is good because I live in Houston where it’s humid all the time! I also didn’t want to deal with bugs and veggies to feed, one type of food is easier for me, even though I gutload with what I could feed a veiled.

Thanks for the tip about Matt. And hello Matt. As I was saying, I would like to get a new chameleon. I'm becoming interested in Panthers. Besides being beautiful, it sounds like they can have good dispositions. One thing that is a bit confusing is the large number of locale-specific varieties (e.g. Nosy Be's, etc.). Aside from coloration differences, are there differences in general disposition among the varieties. I realize it can vary widely depending on the individual, but I wondered if there were general trends, e.g. Ambilobes vs Nosy Be's etc.? Are any of the varieties considered to be more "mellow".

Do you breed chameleons for sale, Matt?

@Matt Vanilla Gorilla can tell you all about Panthers! He raises some great ones!

I second this!! So far my Veiled at about 5 months started getting his typical veiled personality. My 5 month panther from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla doesn't even run when I put my hand in his cage. He is getting used to me MUCH faster then my veiled. Matt always trys to ensure his babies have a nice personality.

Attached is my Nosy Be I got from Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_105053.jpg
    IMG_20181011_105053.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 90
I second this!! So far my Veiled at about 5 months started getting his typical veiled personality. My 5 month panther from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla doesn't even run when I put my hand in his cage. He is getting used to me MUCH faster then my veiled. Matt always trys to ensure his babies have a nice personality.

Attached is my Nosy Be I got from Matt.
I still see the red on his chest! Hope it stays! He looks good! Thanks for taking such good care of him!

I cannot speak for panthers, but have kept both quadricornis, and veiled chams. If you are looking for a species that does well in higher humidity/lower temperature conditions quads are great. They also seem to have a much better temperament than veilds (speaking generally). My guy will be a year old next week.

Attachments

• 20181013_075153.jpg
    20181013_075153.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 73
@KRGEE21 nice looking Quad! I have never seen these for sale besides maybe flchams.com. I like that these seem to be a good option for outdoor setups unless you live somewhere really hot .

Thank you...The reason I joined the forum was because I couldn't find anyone in the Seattle area who had even heard of them. Including so called "reptile specialty" shops. Seattle is a bit too cold most of the year to keep them outdoors unless you have a greenhouse, but one of the breeders I spoke to...@ponders kept hers outside the majority of the year, if not all year. Think she is in northern California area? I ended up getting mine from @jajeanpierre

I'll look for it but there is a guy in San Francisco that built a massive outdoor cage for his quads. I live in socal so they would not handle the heat here but I love the little nose gear. It would be between those and a Jackson if I ever get more..... If only I could find the room. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom