Breaking ground this weekend

CoolishReagent

So this weekend I’ll be constructing my baby veiled, Venus’, new habitat. We’re making it 2.5’x2.5’x6’. I’m going to frame out each panel with 2x2s and staple aluminum screen mesh as the siding. I’m making each panel first so I while combining the panels I can ensure the cut edges of the screen mesh can be hidden in between the boards and nothing sharp will be exposed. I’ll henge the door on the front and instal a simple latch for keeping it closed. Our bioactive supplies have arrived. I got the terrafirma soil from the bio dude a schefflera from a local nursery, also have a bromeliad, pothos , and fern for addition environment. The soil will be laden with wrigglers and iso pods (springtails are gross and we live in GA so we’re worried they’ll infest the house). Hopefully it all works out and she loves her new larger and living home! Wish me luck!

I am very happy with how it turned out! It’s a little bigger then I meant to make it and made my plants seem dwarfish so I built her a jungle gym with the left over frame wood. Also used some magnets to make a feeder flap over her food bowl. Also it’s all bioactive organic clean and natural. Let me know what y’all think!

Attachments

• C98FCBCA-49BB-4D53-8D6F-04D3C969D9E3.jpeg
    C98FCBCA-49BB-4D53-8D6F-04D3C969D9E3.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 990A2833-664E-4FCA-A080-343AE3A4E92A.jpeg
    990A2833-664E-4FCA-A080-343AE3A4E92A.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 96
  • F38D779F-5B91-40D2-84A0-E7BFE1725578.jpeg
    F38D779F-5B91-40D2-84A0-E7BFE1725578.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 108
I am very happy with how it turned out! It’s a little bigger then I meant to make it and made my plants seem dwarfish so I built her a jungle gym with the left over frame wood. Also used some magnets to make a feeder flap over her food bowl. Also it’s all bioactive organic clean and natural. Let me know what y’all think!
I would remove the duct tape... On the inside and outside. Trim with something else. Humidity and moisture will make it peel and chams do not do well with tape. Also the tape colors may be a bit offensive as they are bright and most chams do not like bright colors like that.

What type of wood did you use and did you seal it? Your going to need many more small branches.

You guys never lead with compliments... the tape holding her tempatire probe is just temp, I didn’t want to use the staple gun with her already in there. I didnt plan to add the tape around the door until the screen mesh rubbed together so much at the opening I need to figure out how to rebuild the door entirely to modify the trim so it’s not tearing its self apart. And I scoured the woods close to my house for all the long sticks and only found a couple. He se the built jungle gym. And the wood is heat and pressure treated deck wood. So it won’t rot in the presence of humidity and higher then house temps.

You guys never lead with compliments... the tape holding her tempatire probe is just temp, I didn’t want to use the staple gun with her already in there. I didnt plan to add the tape around the door until the screen mesh rubbed together so much at the opening I need to figure out how to rebuild the door entirely to modify the trim so it’s not tearing its self apart. And I scoured the woods close to my house for all the long sticks and only found a couple. He se the built jungle gym. And the wood is heat and pressure treated deck wood. So it won’t rot in the presence of humidity and higher then house temps.
Lol not trying to be a kill joy I was just pointing out specifics that can be harmful to a cham. The reason I asked about the wood is most is pine and has to be sealed so it does not put off harmful VOC’s

I will let others give you feedback.

Lol not trying to be a kill joy I was just pointing out specifics that can be harmful to a cham. The reason I asked about the wood is most is pine and has to be sealed so it does not put off harmful VOC’s

I will let others give you feedback.
I understand and all it’s just massively disappointing when you spend two days to build from scratch a custom habitat and you post results to only get short falls. If you find yourself in any kind of supervisory roles always keep in mind to compliment first

Alot of those branches I found on a roof, just really dry, I rinsed them off with water cut them to size, and put them in

We are trying to help you!! The very first time I posted on this website, one member posted a picture of his viv and his panther chameleon, and his cham was so healthy, and his viv full of lush green passion fruit vines, and branches, I thought man..I want my cham to be that healthy and plants to grow that well

Looks good! I hear ya on finding branches. I scavenge from my neighbor’s brush piles when they trim or cut down their trees. I can never seem to get the bigger sized branches that I want though.
Not sure I understand your problem with the screening on the door, but would thin furring strips over the screen edges help? Maybe some hot glue around the feeder flap rough edges (cool idea btw) instead of tape?

I understand and all it’s just massively disappointing when you spend two days to build from scratch a custom habitat and you post results to only get short falls. If you find yourself in any kind of supervisory roles always keep in mind to compliment first
Well I am not a supervisor here. And I never said it looked awful. I simply pointed out the things that were dangers because I thought you had already added the cham. Personally I would want to know if something could cause harm to my cham.

Back
Top Bottom