Brand new juvenile hasn’t pooped. When to worry?

JCola

Hi All. Brand new chameleon owner here. Just got my 5 month old panther on Wednesday in the middle of the day and put him in his cage. He has eaten everyday but still hasn’t pooped. When should I be concerned?

Welcome to the forum!

What temperature are you keeping the cage at?
What insects are you feeding it? How much do you feed it?

Cage temperature is at around 75 all day and gets into high 60’s at night. First day he ate Phoenix worms and second and third day were crickets. I put them in a feeder and they all escaped so I’m not sure how many he got but out of the 12-15 that were there I only found a couple left at the end of the day.

What is your basking temp? And are you sure it has not gone and your just not seeing it? Maybe in the plants?

Basking temp is right around 85 and I checked the plants but couldn’t find it, cant see everywhere in the enclosure though unless I take the potted plants out. I’ll check again. Thanks for the ideas and questions

Can you post a picture of your enclosure for us lighting down? So we can see what your working with.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I have a 8” heat lamp with a 60w basking bulb, repti sun T5 HO 5.0 and a jungle dawn, 34w, for the lights. Three sides are covered with plastic sheeting and I have 3 misting heads and a mistking. Run the mist king 4 times at night (8:10 (10 mins after lights off, 12:00, 3:00am and 7:30am). Lights come on at 8:00. Thanks for helping out 🙏

View attachment 327910View attachment 327911

I have a 8” heat lamp with a 60w basking bulb, repti sun T5 HO 5.0 and a jungle dawn, 34w, for the lights. Three sides are covered with plastic sheeting and I have 3 misting heads and a mistking. Run the mist king 4 times at night (8:10 (10 mins after lights off, 12:00, 3:00am and 7:30am). Lights come on at 8:00. Thanks for helping out 🙏
looks fantastic. I would run a misting session at 8:15am and then one in the evening as well when the cage is cooler. You want to give opportunities to drink while the baby is awake and then to be able to clean their eyes if they need to.

Now you have a ton of plants in there which is great. But this means finding fecal and urate is going to be much more difficult with a baby that small. They literally are maybe a 1/4 of an inch long at that age. Pretty small... So keep hunting. Look from top going down. Sometimes the urate will leave a bit of a streak on the leaves and you can see the path it took down. It basically becomes a game of wheres waldo. lol

looks fantastic. I would run a misting session at 8:15am and then one in the evening as well when the cage is cooler. You want to give opportunities to drink while the baby is awake and then to be able to clean their eyes if they need to.

Now you have a ton of plants in there which is great. But this means finding fecal and urate is going to be much more difficult with a baby that small. They literally are maybe a 1/4 of an inch long at that age. Pretty small... So keep hunting. Look from top going down. Sometimes the urate will leave a bit of a streak on the leaves and you can see the path it took down. It basically becomes a game of wheres waldo.
How often is he drinking? Have you seen him drink water?
Haven’t really seen him drink. Going to keep an eye out though. Thanks for the reply

Now you have a ton of plants in there which is great. But this means finding fecal and urate is going to be much more difficult with a baby that small. They literally are maybe a 1/4 of an inch long at that age. Pretty small... So keep hunting. Look from top going down. Sometimes the urate will leave a bit of a streak on the leaves and you can see the path it took down. It basically becomes a game of wheres waldo. lol
Thank you. Really informative and definitely going to hunt now that I know it’s tiny. Could have easily dropped in a plant. I like the idea of adding some misting when he is awake. Going to try that today. Also may add a little dropper to help too. Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it 👍👍

I agree with offering additional misting(s) in the morning after lights come on... Preferebly the basking light should come on later than other lights to keep it cool. You want the morning dew to stick around for an hour or two in the morning so they can actively drink.

Back
Top Bottom