Brand new cham owner

Fauxbreadmage

I just got a juvenile male veiled and I want to make sure the dude has as comfortable a life as possible. The only problem I have been having so far is keeping the humidity up. I live in Colorado and it is really freaking dry. I wrapped two sides of the cage in painters plastic and that helped a little but still only around 30%. I have a Monsoon Mist system set to Mist every 4 hours for 20 seconds. I am planning to wrap a third side when I get home to see if that helps. Any other suggestions? Should I adjust misting schedule?

I ordered a ficus and am awaiting its arrival. As far as the lighting goes are there suggestions for something besides a tube style? Or does someone know where I can get a tube shorter than 4ft? His cage is 18x18x36 and I just need something that will get to the ficus but can either sit on the cage with his UVB and basking lamp or be placed next to the cage. And something that will not hurt the little guy.

Thanks for your time and assistance in advance.

You
I just got a juvenile male veiled and I want to make sure the dude has as comfortable a life as possible. The only problem I have been having so far is keeping the humidity up. I live in Colorado and it is really freaking dry. I wrapped two sides of the cage in painters plastic and that helped a little but still only around 30%. I have a Monsoon Mist system set to Mist every 4 hours for 20 seconds. I am planning to wrap a third side when I get home to see if that helps. Any other suggestions? Should I adjust misting schedule?

I ordered a ficus and am awaiting its arrival. As far as the lighting goes are there suggestions for something besides a tube style? Or does someone know where I can get a tube shorter than 4ft? His cage is 18x18x36 and I just need something that will get to the ficus but can either sit on the cage with his UVB and basking lamp or be placed next to the cage. And something that will not hurt the little guy.

Thanks for your time and assistance in advance.
You should up the misting time! At least a minute long but I would do 2-3 minutes.

Light Your Reptiles (see sight sponsors market tab) has an 18 inch light. I love mine.
Plastic wrapping cage on 3 sides and live plants will help humidity. You could add humidity to your house with a humidifier.

You are not misting long enough. Initially, you should mist for several minutes so that your cham knows it's hydration, although chams are dew-lickers. See the humidity section on the caresheet link posted above.

Depending where you live in Colorado, go visit NatureBox Pet Emporium and talk to Chad or Elisa. They will help with lighting and all other needs. Definitely mist longer and more often in our Colorado dryness

If you're on a budget, get a GE undercabinet lamp from amazon or home depit, they're like $15 + about $20 for a 18" t8 5.0 uvb bulb but I would recommend you get the 24" as you'll need to upgrade his cage later on. But if not, go with Lightyourreptiles dual t5 fixture. That's what I got as I'm ready to welcome my baby panther.

If you're on a budget, get a GE undercabinet lamp from amazon or home depit, they're like $15 + about $20 for a 18" t8 5.0 uvb bulb but I would recommend you get the 24" as you'll need to upgrade his cage later on. But if not, go with Lightyourreptiles dual t5 fixture. That's what I got as I'm ready to welcome my baby panther.
That's what I did. Lowes had a T8 and a T5 fixture for around $10, then I bought the bulb.

Thanks for the help everyone. I took the advice and applied it. I have since got the humidity up to 45% without even having the live plant yet. I stopped by NatureBox and got a light set up that will benefit both the cham and the plant. Pretty excited thanks again.

U can even use a humidifier to increase the humidity in the whole room along with some live plants n auto mister on a multiple schedule.

Cool mist humidifier with a hose to the top of his cage so the mist rains down, I use it for montanes but would work well in CO to combat the dry air. Just make sure you get one with a manual switch so it can be put on a timer, amazon has a few with large 1-2 gallon reservoirs that work good you don't have to worry about filling every day. I would also up misting time or add a once a week shower for hygiene and hydration.

Back
Top Bottom