Brand new Baby Jackson Chamelions

zoocrews

Hi....I am new to this whole breeding thing....I just discovered that my jackson has new babies....I found four alive and seperated them....the other ones are in what looks like sacks (eggs?)....probably a dumb question but will these eventually come out or die? What do I feed them? thanks for any help!

I havnt got experience with jacksons, but I think you should just leave them, they should get out on their own, do they move around al all in the sack?

They need to be fed fruit flies and pin head crix. The ones that are still inside the "sacks" wil prob need help to emerge. Im no expert on Jacksons chams xanothoman or others on here know much more.

Hope you have or can get FFs with in the next 24h, and then plan on keeping multiple colonies going for a while. Pin heads can come later in a couple weeks. They should emerge from their "sacs" quickly upon mom dropping them, if not they may need help getting out or they will expire in their sacs. The neonates can be housed together for a couple weeks but remove them from mom's habitat. Humidity will be important (mist so drops form on glass/leaves -- do not mist animals directly) as well as cooler temps (I stay at room temp ~72-78F). xanthoman is definately a man to get to know. Good luck.

How long they been in the sacs? Try picking them up and dropping them again, like mom would do if she just birthed. Or, gently tear the sac -- I am probably going to catch HLL for that.:rolleyes:

still in sacs , not a good sign

in most cases healthy xanths would emerge from the sacs within minutes , if they are still in the sacks by the time i post it is not likely they are still alive. sometimes you can just pick them up and drop them about 6" and they will pop right out, if need be, they can be seperated from the sacs manually, if you get to them in time. place them on a paper towel on a hard suface like a counter or table, you will need to have good lighting. after careful examination use the pointed end of a bamboo skewer to ultra carefully penetrate the sac. find a spot where you can penetrate the sac and push the point of the skewer all of the way through to the paper towel without stabbing the neonate (baby cham). usually you can find a spot under the head or in the curl of the tail, once the sac is pinned down, the neonate should crawl right out, if it doesnt things dont look good but you could still try to push it out with your finger, or a eraser end of a pencil. healthy, or not it is important to get them out of the sac asap if they are to survive. any that are still alive it would probably be best to transfer to a10g aquarium or a 12'x12'x 12"-18" exo-terra they will need ffs and moist foliage immediately. there are pics of xanth neonates in a 10g in my cf public albums folder entitled "welcome to the jungle". you may notice that the 10g has a cut to fit terry cloth liner. i dont notice every post so if you need specific help you are welcome to vm, pm, or email me;)https://www.chameleonforums.com/mem...lcome-jungle-picture3798-play-jungle-gym.htmlhttps://www.chameleonforums.com/mem...neonates-need-high-concentration-feeders.html

Last edited:
baby jacksons

thanks to you all....I was able to save 4 more....got them out of their sacks manually...two were not in time....looks like I have 8 total. I have them seperated. When will I need to seperate them again? Will try to get fruit flys soon. What would you suggest I put on the bottom of the aquarium?

You don't need to put anything on the bottom.
Pinheads will work too ... true pinheads are about the same size as fruit flies.
I had good luck housing them in a screen enclosure with a big hibiscus at 2 to 3 weeks old and I think they would be better off starting that way.
They can live together in an 18x18x36 till they are 6+ months old.
Mist them at least twice a day.
Free range the feeders.

-Brad

thanks to you all....I was able to save 4 more....got them out of their sacks manually...two were not in time....looks like I have 8 total. I have them seperated. When will I need to seperate them again? Will try to get fruit flys soon. What would you suggest I put on the bottom of the aquarium?
by the info given so far, i would gather that they are not in the strongest condition, so by soon i hope you mean within a couple of hrs? dont forget to examin mom and get her well hydrated. now the easy part is over! /edit brad is right true pinheads will work just as well,you can get by without the tc liner, i use it because i use glass, a screen cage will work also, but its important to keep an eye on the humidity, they can get dehydrated, super easy. as a whole i think xanths get along better than a lot of chams and you shouldnt have any problem housing 8 of them together for the first 6 months. jmo

Last edited:
Hi Brad, should have known that you have done jackson's too!:) I am curious where you are getting the true pin-heads. You breeding your own? I have to admit to ordering them in since I just haven't mastered my time/protocol to breed feeders yet.:eek:

Sometimes petsmart will carry FFs. No pins though at least around here. If you have a local pet shop then they may carry FF cultures. If not get some pin heads and order some FFs. You will need them ASAP if you want things to go well for the ones that made it.

Good luck!

a word about finding emergency feeders

first thing i would do is start a wild ff trap just in case you are having problems obtaining feeders, ffs and pinheads and other small feeders are a necessity for dart frog owners, so if you search the local dart frog forum for members in your area, you can often find some one locally to sell cultures. also if you check your local herpetalogical society, they can often refer you to somebody who sells cultures. if they dont have food available by tomorrow afternoon they will be definitely stressing. jmo

Wish you good FF hunting. Since I am in a limited population/commerce area, I called around all reachable stores in advance. When I found one, I asked for on hand supply and if they would hold them for me. I was lucky to find a store 40 minutes down the road that would accomodate me. The stores in my area are pretty good at working with frantic pet owners. But then most all pet stores are pet/people friendly when called to task. When you find a supply, buy X3 at least. And then, start culturing immediately, and keep culturing. You will want an abundance of FF regardless of how soon you introduce pin heads.

As for substrate/flooring, I used paper towels. The reason being that I could check for fecals and it was easy to swap out to keep clean. I opted for plastic (pet store/hobbie store) plants that they could climb on, and hide in, as well as collect misting for hydration and cleanability.

You need to know in advance that bringing baby up to the preverbial 3 month mark is a challange. If your baby experience is anything like mine:
"bought a lovely female, brought her home and couple weeks later she birthed...surprise! Welcome to the forum. These people are your friends and will help you get thru this regardless of the outcome.

You will be required at some point......to submit pictures.......:D:D:D:D

baby jacksons

yee haa....found some fruit flies in Pet Smart....all are doing well so far. I'm really glad someone turned me on to this site...I have bearded dragons, crested geckos and a chinese water dragon amongst many other pets....:D:D

Back
Top Bottom