Branches Too Thick?

skoram

Established Member
Prior to a recent business trip to the Philippines, I asked a friend of mine who runs a golf course there if she knew someplace where I could find some nice Philippine tree vines or branches for my chameleon. She told me she had plenty of fallen branches on her course that she could prepare for me and sent me the following pic:

164248034.jpg

I told her these looked fantastic and asked if she could have them cut into approximately 1 meter long sections. Based on the photo I figured the uncut branches were about 3 meters long each and about 1 inch in diameter. When I visited her course to pick them up I was shocked to find that the branches were actually about 3 inches (8 cm) in diameter ...

They were so beautiful I ended bringing about 8 cut sections back home with me. I would like to use them in a new enclosure for my adult panther but can't help wondering if they may cause him discomfort and, god forbid, problems with his claws due to their thickness.

Anyone have thoughts or expertise on this topic?

I have no expertise but as long as also have thinner branches and vines, I don’t think it should be a problem. I have some pretty thick hunks of manzanita for my veileds and they do fine. Chams do need varying diameters to stretch and exercise their feet.

Not an expert but if used diagonal I don't think it would cause any issues maybe have a plant wrap around it ? natural branches are great I don't think they will go to waste worst case scenario build a frame for a free range with it .... Speaking of branches I've got to to hunting for some now that my guys growing into his full adult size I need to replace some of the smaller diameter branches.

I use these in varying sizes! They really are beautiful. If your friend wants to ship I’d love to buy more directly! :love:

I use the 3” in one cage. Its used as a pathway by a midsized veiled... but its not his favorite branch. No probs walking on it. Both my veileds love the smaller lanai vines, though! I think I have 1”, 2”, and 3”. The 1-2” are preferable and the curly ones are def their favorites.

I have multiple dimensions in mine from 1/4 inch to 3 inches. It is really good for their grip to have lots of dimensions rather then all the same.

Thank you all for the feedback. I have always used branches in a variety of thicknesses in the past but nothing as thick as 3 inches in diameter. I do have some branches that are about 0.5 - 1 inches in diameter which I plan to add so I guess he can just ignore the thicker ones if they are too uncomfortable for him. I will post some photos of the cut sections when I get home later.

Make sure they are nontoxic...panthers tend to chew on branches sometimes.

My friend thinks they came from Rainbow Eucalyptus trees since they have many around her course, but was not 100% sure since she did not gather or cut them herself. I performed an internet search and the branches do look similar to the photos I found online. Some sites state that Eucalyptus leaves can be toxic if consumed in large amounts, but I found no information about toxicity of the branches themselves. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom