Branch placement!

Dawson

Hello all! Slowly but surely I’m getting this darn cage done. Had a small setback but I’m back at it! I was curious... how many branches (roughly) should be in my cage? Its a 2x2x4 cage with 6 plants in it. I was thinking 3 vertical ones at various height, 3 diagonal ones connecting the top and bottom of the cage on each side, and maybe a couple more to get down inbetween plants or behind them to hide. However, I have no idea if I should have more or less. I’ve collected way too many branches of various diameter and textures as well!
Side note- is 55-65% humidity too high during the day for a veiled chameleon?

IMO, lots, and lots.....
How is your lighting set up, and what types are you using? What water sources are you using?
I think splitting vertically into thirds is helpful. Have basking branches at the top to access heat and UVB lighting, branches in the middle third with some total cover and open area to access lower levels of heat/UV light, and lower third with lots of cover to completely hide away. Which probably means a few horizontal branches at each level.
They will also find their favorite pooping branch and they need branches for drinking from whatever water sources your providing (misters, drippers), as well as good branches to access food in feeder runs.
Then add lots of branches to access each of the levels and basking or hiding areas you created

There is no set number for amount of branches. Just know that your chameleon will want a lot with different widths and lengths and textures. Sounds like you're well on your way.

55-65% is too much, yes. You want it to be between 30-50% during the day.
Thanks. I live in Olympia, WA so its always pretty wet. Do you think a dehumidifier would help?

IMO, lots, and lots.....
How is your lighting set up, and what types are you using? What water sources are you using?
I think splitting vertically into thirds is helpful. Have basking branches at the top to access heat and UVB lighting, branches in the middle third with some total cover and open area to access lower levels of heat/UV light, and lower third with lots of cover to completely hide away. Which probably means a few horizontal branches at each level.
They will also find their favorite pooping branch and they need branches for drinking from whatever water sources your providing (misters, drippers), as well as good branches to access food in feeder runs.
Then add lots of branches to access each of the levels and basking or hiding areas you created
Jeez, forgot how intricate it was, haha! Lets see, I have a wire wrack suspended like 4-5 inches from the top of my cage, which houses a 2’ T5HO uvb fixture with a 6% arcadia bulb (the basking branch is a total of like 8-9 inches away from the light) and I have a 10 inch reflector dome lamp with like, a 75 watt incandescant bulb in it I believe. I also have a 2’ T5HO dual light fixture resting on the cage with a 6500k bulb in it so the plants can grow and acclimate before I get a lil cham. I have the 10L repti-zoo automatic mister as well as some weird touchscreen fogger. The lights are set on a 12 hour on/off schedule and I have a programmable timer for my mist/fogger. I’m trying to follow their natural “hydration” cycle, so, mist before lights go on and after they go off with a fogger running periodically throughout the night to help with humidity levels. I have a laser thermometer as well as a wireless therm/humid. Gauge and a couple of the same ones but with sensors and wires connecting it to the actual module. During the day im realistically running anywhere from 40-70% humidity, and I haven’t pulled an all nighter to study the humidity levels during the night yet. It sure is a whole process unfortunately! Thank you by the way, now I know to go find a safe yet dense foliage plant to place on the bottom of the cage in hopes that it provides a good hiding place for the lower third of the cage. I can provide a picture of the cage so far with a list of plants that are currently in there if you’d like.

image.jpg

Sorry for the mess! As you can see I only have one branch in there for the basking area, I tried to include most of it but some things are hidden. Feel free to ask any questions

Hello all! Slowly but surely I’m getting this darn cage done. Had a small setback but I’m back at it! I was curious... how many branches (roughly) should be in my cage? Its a 2x2x4 cage with 6 plants in it. I was thinking 3 vertical ones at various height, 3 diagonal ones connecting the top and bottom of the cage on each side, and maybe a couple more to get down inbetween plants or behind them to hide. However, I have no idea if I should have more or less. I’ve collected way too many branches of various diameter and textures as well!
Side note- is 55-65% humidity too high during the day for a veiled chameleon?
Woo good question I am bound too have around 20 to 30 . Lol must count 2moro and 15 plants was 17 but put smaller plants into a pot together

Do you have bamboo branches in there? I have plenty of them (they are used for staking other plants) and was curious about using some, but was discouraged because I was afraid that it would be too smooth for their feet for some reason
They are fine if they’re rough enough for your cham to grip on to. I use the pack of the large (around) sixish bamboo branches from Home Depot, and they’re rough enough to not have to sand. If you do have to sand, use a really rough and course sandpaper so you are adding texture instead of smoothing it out!

If they are appropriate size shouldn't be a problem. But if you can use natural branches then do that .
20201204_181404.jpg

Back
Top Bottom