Bradypodion Breeding

markpulawski

I bought a pair of the Bradypodion chameleons Steve and the Chameleons International team brought in last spring, I got the Nottingham Rd locale. I am mostly into dart frogs but I had 1 bigger tank (24" x 20" x 36") that stayed a bit too dry for darts that I thought may suit a cooler more humid species of chameleon. On October 9th I saw the male mating with the female and on January 6 she gave birth to 5 normal offspring and 1 deformed one that I quickly euthanized. I have been keeping all 5 in about a 30 gallon plastic bin that I put out in the sun for an hour or 2 most days, they all seem to be growing nicely. I kept the adults together and noticed yesterday the male breeding with the female again which I would assume is bad, anyone with experience care to weigh in? I hate to see her damage herself making babies again so soon. A pic of the male

a 2 day old baby

10 day old babies

Last edited:
First of all welcome to the forums, and congratulations on the Bradypodium thamnobates success!!

Most likely even if she didn't breed again right away, she would develop another clutch from retained sperm. Your job is to keep her in the best possible condition without over feeding her, that is give her the most nutritious,varied diet possible. If she's over fed she will produce even more babies and likely shorten her life. There are care sheets available on this forum: go to the top of this page and click on the resources tab, also check out the species tab for more individualized info.

Great pictures btw, keep them coming!!

Thanks Bob I will, I have been feeding a combo of crickets and fruit fly's mostly with the occasional batch of termites, dusting with Repashy Calcium Plus and a couple other supplements I use. I have not been keeping them too fat though I will admit the female was huge when she was pregnant but they slimmed down when I cut back on the termites. They are a great species, I have a friend with the Moi River locale, he got a couple of babies last fall but sadly lost them to ants at about 2 months of age. Here is a pic of their enclosure, corkbark background covered in Marcgravia with some bigger Phylo species that I have to continually cut back, a little variegated vanilla and a weird peperomia that I forgot the name of (striped pointed leaves). The substrate is ABG mix covered in sphagnum that has come alive and turned green with a big legally harvested cypress knee in the middle. A lot of purple isopods roam the ground as the clean up crew.

the female wondering who the guy following her is.

This is very cool. This is a species I have always coveted sense I started keeping chams years ago. Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully you can get some captive bred started that would be great.

I got a mooi river pair back in October.. The female had been with a male prior to being shipped to me she is getting big.. 3 month gestation period for the babies seems very short. Granted this is my first time with Brady's but all the info I've found said 4-6 months. Good luck with them!

Luckily I texted a friend about the breeding activity so I had the pictures and timeline however they could have bred before and I did not see it but I doubt that happened for this reason. Shortly after witnessing "the act" she turned dark (at least a good part of the time she was dark) and mean as could be towards him, anytime he got near hissing and opened mouth, it was only towards the end of gestation that she turned green and even tempered.

range is ambient here now, cold front has my house low 60's at night around 70 during the day, probably a little more elevated in their tank. So far they are only big enough to eat wingless melanogaster which I dust with Repashy Calcium +, a little natrulrose and a couple odds and ends I have for darts and day geckos

Glad to see they are doing good I'm thinking my girl will be giving birth soon she's been putting on gram a week for the last 3 weeks I need to order some melanogaster to have ready

Yes that is the best way to feed these babies unless you raise your own crickets and have access to a steady supply of true pinheads, they really can not eat anything larger. Now at 3 weeks I may try a couple of hydei this weekend to see if they will take them.

Hey everyone, I also received a fern hill locale pair from Steve. Awesome animals, they're doing very well but my biggest issue is breeding. I keep the male and female separate and only once have I successfully been able to introduce the male for breeding. Unfortunately, that did not result in any babies, but since it was her first go, ever, I thought big things were to come. However, I've been totally wrong, after the first mating session, when ever I introduce the male to her enclosure, she begins to attack him. Can anyone, please!!!! offer some tips for successful breeding with these gems.

Thanks,

Darnell

Good chance that means she is pregnant Darnell, after mating and it was pretty obvious early on mine was going to drop some babies she turned dark anytime he was near and gaped and hissed. She seems less volatile now as she looks as if another litter is coming but he does not approach her the same way now, no attempt at mating

On my female's tank I use a couple of big Exo UV with a couple of LED's for the plants, a small Exo for the baby when he is in a tank but he has been outside for over a month now though he will be moved inside soon. The female has been outside quite a bit as well lately but she and the male grew into maturity under the Exo lights which I replaced after about 8 months (too long, next time 6 months). I will snap a picture later today so you can see how I set them up.

Back
Top Bottom