Brachypelma albopilosum molt sequence. Warning spiders!

Trace

Captain Awesome
I think I’ve done a thread like this in the past so apologies to the older members for the repetition but some newer peeps might be interested in these shots from today. Bear in mind the spider was in her burrow so my choices were limited on how I could take the pix so some are better than others.

Pre-molt upside down in web cocoon:

DSC_015720120415.jpg

Close-up of chelicerae, fangs and mouth parts:

DSC_016520120415.jpg

Carapace and abdomen split and the spider begins to push the old exoskeleton off:

DSC_017220120415.jpg

Still pushing:

DSC_018320120415.jpg

Almost there:

DSC_019320120415.jpg

Free from the exoskeleton:

DSC_019420120415.jpg

Resting:

DSC_020920120415.jpg

Close-up of freshly shed fangs and mouth parts:

DSC_021120120415.jpg

A new soft and fuzzy spider!

DSC_023420120415.jpg

Thanks for looking! Hopefully I didn’t creep you out too much.
Cheers!
Trace

EEK :eek: Trace...I am used to beautiful pics of gorgeous little chams from you and then...this!! I appreciate the warning (spiders CREEP me out) but it was kinda like a train wreck...I had to look!

That's incredible! I have been starting to become more and more interested in the whole insect keeping.. I had a Scorpion for about three days until it mysteriously passed away and I found it on its back. My set-up was correct, so it was quite a mystery. I've always found the molting process interesting, the part where they find the sex of it by wetting and stretching the molt is disgusting. Looks like hair from a drain! O: I am picking up a Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula I believe it is, from a friend when I get over to Minneapolis for the Reptile Expo. It's going to be my first Tarantula, it's an adult too. I guess it's quite friendly, but I have a hard time around them. I'm in a group that a lot of members keep multiple species of T's and I am learning to accept them. For instance I didn't smash one when I found it was crawling on my arm.. I tossed it back outside. :eek: Thanks for sharing the pictures Trace!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Normally I don’t catch my spiders molting as they bury themselves quite deep but in this case I got lucky. Also it’s something most people rarely see.

Next time I’ll post the cute chammy pix I promise. ;)

Cheers,
Trace

Nice curly hair! :D Looks like a big male to me

hoping my chaco gold knee sling molts any day now or i guess i should say my pet hole hahhah

Nice pics Trace :) I remember when I had a Chilean Rose as a kid and I saw him moult for the first time. My mum said it looked like it was giving birth to itself, but she had to watch :D
Do you have many spiders?

Back
Top Bottom