Boycotting crickets! Need advice!

AMdoubleER

Avid Member
So, I just found out yesterday that dubia roaches are illegal in the state of Florida! This sucks big time for me because my guy is now boycotting crickets all of a sudden! I’ve tried multiple ways to get him back eating crickets, but he is a stubborn one I tell you! Im kind of lost on what to do because all he will eat is super worms and horn worms and from what I’ve researched is that neither are a good staple. Help!

So, I just found out yesterday that dubia roaches are illegal in the state of Florida! This sucks big time for me because my guy is now boycotting crickets all of a sudden! I’ve tried multiple ways to get him back eating crickets, but he is a stubborn one I tell you! Im kind of lost on what to do because all he will eat is super worms and horn worms and from what I’ve researched is that neither are a good staple. Help!
Discoid roaches? Are you able to get your hands on those? If not, what I did was I kept putting crickets in and out everyday with my cham since he was having this whole hunger strike tantrum of not eating crix until he realized he really did get hungry and got him back on crickets, I just waited it out.

Discoid roaches? Are you able to get your hands on those? If not, what I did was I kept putting crickets in and out everyday with my cham since he was having this whole hunger strike tantrum of not eating crix until he realized he really did get hungry and got him back on crickets, I just waited it out.

How long did you wait? I tried that method, for at least one week or so and he did not budge. He just acts like crickets are his friends. I started getting parinod after a while because it seemed like he started losing his strength! I just moved to Florida a little over a year ago and I only been able to find one reptile store in Orlando called Pet Bazaar. They said they get Discoid roaches occasionally and they could not tell me when they woulld get more.

How long did you wait? I tried that method, for at least one week or so and he did not budge. He just acts like crickets are his friends. I started getting parinod after a while because it seemed like he started losing his strength! I just moved to Florida a little over a year ago and I only been able to find one reptile store in Orlando called Pet Bazaar. They said they get Discoid roaches occasionally and they could not tell me when they woulld get more.
I waited a week but hm, Linda's gone buggie, she has a website it may not be posted on there but on facebook her name is Linda Bussema, she sells them! She's in Fl.

Why are hornworms not a good staple?

I would imagine he will go back on crix eventually, might just need a break. If you're feeding a variety of insects, I don't think I'd be overly concerned. Try the florida legal roaches, hatch out some flies, silkworms, hornworms, superworms, black soldier flies, tons of stuff available these days and I think as long as you're offering a good variety of food items and doing your supplementation you're not going to find any serious issues. Most issues happen when people do something like only offer only one prey type, do not properly gutload, and/or inappropriate supplementation/lighting.

Back
Top Bottom