bought way too many mealworms, what can i do with them?

roguekiller23231

i used to buy crickets in bulk, but got fed up with getting way too little for the money, so decided to go with mealworms, thought they would do the same and give me way less then stated, so i ordered 1.5kg, not realising that they actually would give me MORE! then they actually stated. so now i'm stuck with close to 2kg of mealworms. and 2 chameleons to eat them. lol i could probably get rid of some by feeding them to birds, and giving some away to people, but thats not going to be much of a dent.

Mealworms are (in my opinion) a very poor choice of feeder for a chameleon.
When fed exclusively or even often, they have been documented to cause impaction and prolapse problems due to their high amount of chitin.
Is there a local pet or reptile store that you could negotiate a trade with for crickets or a more acceptable feeder?

-Brad

Mealworms are (in my opinion) a very poor choice of feeder for a chameleon.
When fed exclusively or even often, they have been documented to cause impaction and prolapse problems due to their high amount of chitin.
Is there a local pet or reptile store that you could negotiate a trade with for crickets or a more acceptable feeder?

-Brad

they dont stick to one kind of food, so they wont be eating only mealworms, i have a lot of diffrent insects that i feed them, the problem is that now i have way too many of the meal worms, i'll probably have to either feed most to birds, or flog on ebay. lol, or if i can get down to the pet shop (as suggested thanks) i'll take some down and see, probably give them away for free anyway.

Contact bird lovers, spider keepers, fish keepers, other reptile owners and pet shops in your area to swap or sell cheap. I've traded one insect for another several times with my local pet supply shop and a guy who keeps spiders.

Save a hundred worms and let them pupate and become beetles, to lay eggs and then you'll never have to buy them again. Extremely easy and cheap to keep a mini breeding colony of these going - as small as desired for the small amount you will feed your two chameleons.

Anything you're still stuck with after that can be gutloaded, then fast killed. Put in a blender. Freeze the paste. Use to supplement what you feed your superworms, roaches, fish, etc.

Back
Top Bottom