Bottom of the cage? Why?

My Veiled Chameleon is about 8-9 months old and is a female. For the past two weeks or so she has been going to the Bottom of the cage, Why? She will go down there walk around for a little and come back up and she will do that over and over, Every time she sees me she will climb back up but I have sneak in a few times to see her trying to get out or it looks like she could be digging to get out. I put her in a laying bin a day or so ago and left her in there for a day and a night but all she did was lay on the branch I have in there for her. Her temperatures are fine "High 85f-95f" "Low 70f-80f" She has her UVB Bulbs and everything! Does anyone know?. :confused: Please help..

I'm not sure but she may be trying to lay eggs I'm not sure at what age they will but that's what it sounds like I had one that got egg bounded

Keep an eye on her if she is getting bigger in her stomach and hasn't laid eggs yet take her to the vet

She definately sounds like she is trying to find a spot to lay eggs. You should have an appropriate sized laying bin right in her enclosure so it is available to her at all times. She also needs privacy to conduct her "busines". Many people put up a barrier so the cage is screened from view. So once the bin is in the cage and she shows signs of digging give her privacy and don't interrupt. I think it is OK to check the bin after lights out. If a female is disturbed through this process she could refuse to lay the eggs and become egg bound which can be very serious.

I have a big trash can "outside one" Size is 17"Wide, 19" Long and 3ft tall. The dirt is 12" deep. There is a lid for it and I don't put it on all the way I prop it up so she can get air. I don't put it in the cage I just take her out and put her in it. I tried to put a bucket of dirt in her cage but she wouldn't go by it. She has been really dark as well and Some times she looks fat and other times she doesn't?

Attachments

• Ashes.jpg
    Ashes.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Ashess.jpg
    Ashess.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 150
  • T.jpg
    T.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Tr.jpg
    Tr.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Trash.jpg
    Trash.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 117
I use something similar except I have plants in mine. I also using lighting above it.

Carl

I re did the bin got it more wet and dug a pre hole for her see if that helps. I also put a heat lamp in it for her. "She looks so tiny in there lol"

Attachments

• Aa.jpg
    Aa.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 126
Take her out After she has covered the hole up and she looks to want out. Mine just finished laying today but she has a bin in her cage so i have a thin flex branch in the bin for her to climb in and out of. Congrats!

It can take awhile for her to lay. You will need to leave her completely alone and only take her out when she has covered her hole COMPLETELY and is on top of the dirt. If you interrupt this process she could abandon her mission and problems can occur! The entire process for my girl was three days. Be patient.

She is finally backing out of the hole while putting dirt in it... Can't wait to hold her. I feel bad.. :( Wow that's a while. How many did she lay?

She laid her eggs. 34. How do I no if they are fertile? The only reason is because I bought her from a pet store who bought her from someone else so Not sure if they tried to bread her. How long would they be pregnant if they mated?

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 159
She laid her eggs. 34. How do I no if they are fertile? The only reason is because I bought her from a pet store who bought her from someone else so Not sure if they tried to bread her. How long would they be pregnant if they mated?

Once bred, females take 4-6 weeks to lay.

However, females can retain sperm and lay a second fertile clutch several months after being laid.

you have to incubate the eggs to determine if they are fertile.

If they mold over in a few weeks, they are bad. if they stay full and clean, they are good.

Back
Top Bottom