Bottom of enclosure.

Grasshopper

So I was wanting to put a bottom in her enclosure (a drawer) filled with soil and plant all the flowers inside of it and cover the top of the soil with river rocks. The drawer is hand made just like the cage to fit perfectly inside. was going to do it that way I wont have to worry about water going out of the cage plus watering the plants would be easier that way as well. Figured when it came time to clean her whole cage just take the rocks out and wash them down as well. Is this ok? Or should I not do it?

This is her new enclosure, it's not finished yet I have more flowers to put in and 87 foot of Ivy Leaf vines and 9 more bamboo to place. I'm just trying to figure out the bottom before doing it all.

Attachments

• 20190323_011149.jpg
    20190323_011149.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 185
Hey hun is this for a veiled? Careful with the bamboo it can be slippery for them to hold on to.
Unless you are planning on going totally bioactive with cleaner crew bugs I would leave the plants potted and do a drip tray of some sort to allow all the extra water to drain off... Plus you will need to consider a lay bin and it's placement.

The bamboo was thinking about wrapping a bunch of vines with and getting the eco carpet and placing it around the bamboo. Will that be ok?

I would not wrap with eco carpet... That will be harder to clean and will hold bacteria. Now wrapping with like the exo terra jungle vines might be helpful. You can also lightly sand down the bamboo rods. Just be careful you are not getting splintering off them. So you want to create different grip sizes as well. Nothing huge in diameter but having the different grip sizes is really good for them. Oak dowels work really well and they hold up to moisture. Avoid the pine dowels because they can get nasty fast. Grapewood also molds really quick as well.

Thanks didnt think of that. I've sanded down the parts that have the leaves and sticks off I will sand the result of it, i have a bunch in the back yard we have been cutting out that's why i choose to use them. I have small and medium size in there I've done more small that way she can grip it easier. Thought it looked good in there because they are green and match the plants. I just dont want her to get hurt. Any more advice? You've helped me alot these past weeks. And I thank you for it all.

Thanks didnt think of that. I've sanded down the parts that have the leaves and sticks off I will sand the result of it, i have a bunch in the back yard we have been cutting out that's why i choose to use them. I have small and medium size in there I've done more small that way she can grip it easier. Thought it looked good in there because they are green and match the plants. I just dont want her to get hurt. Any more advice? You've helped me alot these past weeks. And I thank you for it all.
So are these live bamboo or dried out? Are you taking them directly from your yard?
My concern if they are is that if you have sprayed any pesticides, weed killer, fertilizer.... anything like that can be harmful. Also you will have to worry about bacteria and bugs being in the bamboo if they are taken directly from the yard. Typically live bamboo is not used. And if you do use anything from outside it needs to be properly cleaned.
I will tag someone else in on this one as I have not used out door elements in my cage because I am a worry wart. @Brodybreaux25 thoughts on live bamboo being used from outside... And I don't remember the proper way to clean outside wood pieces. Something about a bleach solution and or baking the branches.....

@Beman I don't clean anything from outside. I'll rinse stuff off with the hose sometimes, but that's about it. Just be aware of anything harmful in your area, whether it's pesticides or dangerous insects. There's not usually anything to worry about though, and most things that would cause problems aren't going to die from bleach anyway(coccidia comes to mind).

@Beman I don't clean anything from outside. I'll rinse stuff off with the hose sometimes, but that's about it. Just be aware of anything harmful in your area, whether it's pesticides or dangerous insects. There's not usually anything to worry about though, and most things that would cause problems aren't going to die from bleach anyway(coccidia comes to mind).
Me neither. Chams come with an immune system, let them use it!

Some keepers go wayyyy overboard with this kind of stuff, no need to bleach or bake.

Back
Top Bottom