Bonding

Uri

Avid Member
I’ve had my Cham Picasso for about a little over 3 weeks now and he’s adjusted well took him a while to eat but he’s starting to eat regularly now for the most part no real problems. I was just wondering if now is a good time to start bonding. I kinda already started by spoon feeding he’s somewhat taken to it I also leave his cage open and stay on the other side of the room once and he quickly started acting normal after a few minutes. I haven’t handled him any since the first week. What are some good bonding methods too? I understand he may never like me but I’d like to get him so understand me as not a threat especially in the case of having to take him to the vet

Here is one of our go to videos that a member here has produced. My 2 cents be prepared that your Cham may never want to socialize with you. It's just how they can be sometimes.

I’m well aware and prepared for that I mean for socializing I have my geckos and dog for that anyways. I would just like him to at the very least perceive me as not a threat

I use a plastic disposable spoon. That’s what jacksjill the breeder of the little guy did. It worked for a bit before he remembered he was scared of me
Yep exactly. Just wanted to make sure your using the white plastic ones. Metal is not a good mix with the cham lol

I’ve had my Cham Picasso for about a little over 3 weeks now and he’s adjusted well took him a while to eat but he’s starting to eat regularly now for the most part no real problems. I was just wondering if now is a good time to start bonding. I kinda already started by spoon feeding he’s somewhat taken to it I also leave his cage open and stay on the other side of the room once and he quickly started acting normal after a few minutes. I haven’t handled him any since the first week. What are some good bonding methods too? I understand he may never like me but I’d like to get him so understand me as not a threat especially in the case of having to take him to the vet
I agree with @ERKleRose, hand feeding is great for getting a cham use to you. If I have a particularly shy chameleon a good trick I use is offering some feeders they can't resist (superworms, silkworms and other larvae). Though I caution you to only feed larvae as treats as they can be a little addictive! haha

Also, I believe that they will track your eyes so if you are constantly staring at your chameleon it might put them on edge!

I agree with @ERKleRose, hand feeding is great for getting a cham use to you. If I have a particularly shy chameleon a good trick I use is offering some feeders they can't resist (superworms, silkworms and other larvae). Though I caution you to only feed larvae as treats as they can be a little addictive! haha

Also, I believe that they will track your eyes so if you are constantly staring at your chameleon it might put them on edge!
My guy actually doesn’t seem too interested into too many worms he’s not so interested in bsfl and only moderately into super worms. He almost always picks off some dubias tho I’ve used those to try to build some trust

Spoon or cup is easiest. First get him use to cup, only feed in the cup. Then hold the cup. You need to be the one source of food. The second would be don't reach in on him in the cage, they already feel cornered. Let them come to you for food. Both my adults and my 6 babies were fed this way and they will all come for food.
My son has already learned we don't hold chameleons, but we can interact with them through feedings.

I hand fed regularly and would put my hand near him in his enclosure for a few minutes daily so he eventually realized that I was not going to hurt him. I've had him for almost 3 years now and he's never attempted to bite me. 99% of the time he does not willingly walk onto my hand but he lets me get my hand under him (letting his hands grab onto my fingers, don't lift him by his ribs!) and lift him out without gaping or running away. It's sometimes a game of chess with his tail grabbing onto stuff but I've learned the game pretty well.

Spoon or cup is easiest. First get him use to cup, only feed in the cup. Then hold the cup. You need to be the one source of food. The second would be don't reach in on him in the cage, they already feel cornered. Let them come to you for food. Both my adults and my 6 babies were fed this way and they will all come for food.
My son has already learned we don't hold chameleons, but we can interact with them through feedings.
Yes my chams don't like the cup held on the same level with their heads, that elicits a look of suspicion and side eye. Lower the cup so they have to look down into it and it is on.

Be careful if you train them TOO well. I started giving my big veiled all his food this way, later moving it to on my hand. And made a point if I needed to go into the cage in the afternoon for something like to pick up a poop that I had at least a fly for him. Now, if I need to have my hand in there to trim plants or something, he tracks every move of my hand and just fixates on it. I feel bad not having anything for him..and half expect him to take a little taste of a finger.

Back
Top Bottom