Blue bottle fly spikes

Zilla23

Established Member
So I ordered some blue bottle spikes but they took four days to get here (my postal service sucks) and apparently they have ALL pupated due to the warmer temps here lately. So what the heck do I do now? I really don’t relish the thought of 150 flys!! I heard you can put them in the fridge to slow them turning into flys but still, how long do they keep?? So frustrated!!

I've used blue bottle flies many many times.

You can keep the pupae in the fridge for about a week or two. Any longer could kill em. Take them out to hatch out as needed, which takes a few days of being warm after they shell up.

Put them all in a larger container so if they hatch, they aren't crowding each other. A whole lot of fly comes out of that tiny little shell. If they hatch out, just remember, cold flies, can't fly. Put them in freezer for a minute or so and the flies will stop buzzing around. They'll only walk. Put them in your cage as fast as you can and close the door, because once they warm back up, them wings are gonna be a buzzin!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1461852493280.jpg
    FB_IMG_1461852493280.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 108
  • FB_IMG_1461852802235.jpg
    FB_IMG_1461852802235.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 147
I've used blue bottle flies many many times.

You can keep the pupae in the fridge for about a week or two. Any longer could kill em. Take them out to hatch out as needed, which takes a few days of being warm after they shell up.

Put them all in a larger container so if they hatch, they aren't crowding each other. A whole lot of fly comes out of that tiny little shell. If they hatch out, just remember, cold flies, can't fly. Put them in freezer for a minute or so and the flies will stop buzzing around. They'll only walk. Put them in your cage as fast as you can and close the door, because once they warm back up, them wings are gonna be a buzzin!

How many would you suggest hatching at a time? How many can he eat at a time?

Just keep the flies in the fridge. Slows them a ton and keeps them alive for a long time. If kept at room temp the flies die much faster. This also makes it easy to add gutload and dust them. I allow a day at room temp when I gutload so they'll eat. They don't move when cold.

BTW you really shouldn't feed the spikes, they release ammonia and are raised on rotten meat... I only feed the flies

Just keep the flies in the fridge. Slows them a ton and keeps them alive for a long time. If kept at room temp the flies die much faster. This also makes it easy to add gutload and dust them. I allow a day at room temp when I gutload so they'll eat. They don't move when cold.

BTW you really shouldn't feed the spikes, they release ammonia and are raised on rotten meat... I only feed the flies

What do I feed the flies to gutload them?

Back
Top Bottom