Blue Blot

Bio123

Hi guys! Sorry for not helping out for a long time. I was preoccupied with education for the past 3 months.My veiled chameleon is a very healthy and nurtured. However, I saw a dark blue blot on a part of his skin that's usually turquoise. I am slightly worried because I don't know what it is. It isn't a burn or some heat related incident because his skin pigments on that spot still change black or light sea blue. It looks like it's "healing" because the spot is surrounded by a light green line.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Veiled Chameleon, 8 months old
Handling - Once every 2 weeks
Feeding - 10 crix a day, 4 mealworms a week, pillbugs and slugs as treats.
Supplements - Herptivite & Rep-Cal w/ D3 once every 2 weeks. Rep-Cal calcium every day.
Watering - Spray bottle and dripper. I spray a little extra when he sheds.
Fecal Description - Clean. Hydrated
History - Premium Bloodline from FL Chams

Cage Info: operational cage with all live plants.
Cage Type - 2x2x4 ft. cage, screened
Lighting - Basking light, Repti Sun 5.0 UVB light
Temperature - analog & digital thermometer, 80 degrees F high, 70 degrees F low.
Humidity - Humidity gauge, analogue & digital, 60% to 75%
Plants - Umbrella plant, Pothos ivy
Placement - Isolated place across the room from a window.
Location -Houston,TX

Attachments

• IMG00095-20100306-1413.jpg
    IMG00095-20100306-1413.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG00096-20100306-1413.jpg
    IMG00096-20100306-1413.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 218
Sorry about the clarity of my images. I have no other camera than the one on my phone right now.

Really can't see antying from those pics. probably why you aren't getting any responses. Might just be your vield's coloring.

Do you mean the little blue spots in side the yellow bars? If so thats normal for a veiled, its just some get spotter then others. You should be happy, I love it when I get a spotty veiled.

Here are some crystal clear pics. As you can see, there is discoloration on my chameleon along with blue patches of skin.

Attachments

• P1110599.jpg
    P1110599.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 197
  • P1110601.jpg
    P1110601.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 184
How close can he get to his basking spot? Did he get unusually chilled and spend more of the next day basking than usual? The area on his dorsal crest could be a mild burn...that's just the place they can show up. Can't be certain however. It might not hurt to ask a vet for some Silvadene cream. It will prevent infection (if one is starting), protect from further damage (if it was a burn) and promote healing. The only thing it won't do is treat a fungal infection...a vet would have to test for that. The leg spots...just can't tell.

It looked to me like a burn at first, but the skin in that area still reacts. It still turns dark or bright, but it just remains blue. My chameleon usually NEVER goes really close to the basking light. He is usually 7-15 inches away from it. Living in Texas, it really doesn't get cold here. I will try the Silvadene cream. I cut some of my aloe vera leaves and rubbed the gel on his skin, but it had no effect.

Could be fungal....could he have picked anything up from his baths?
The only way to know for sure is to take it to a vet.

Last edited:
It looked to me like a burn at first, but the skin in that area still reacts. It still turns dark or bright, but it just remains blue. My chameleon usually NEVER goes really close to the basking light. He is usually 7-15 inches away from it. Living in Texas, it really doesn't get cold here. I will try the Silvadene cream. I cut some of my aloe vera leaves and rubbed the gel on his skin, but it had no effect.

Aloe Vera usually just penetrates the pores, so i doubt it would do much - I don't really think chameleons have pores? lol, let alone on their sides and back.

I say its a burn personally, my female panther just got diagnosed with the same thing, which sucks and makes me feel like a lame keeper... but live and learn.

Try the silvadene cream before it gets too bad. Mine was burned along her back and some spines have fallen out :(.

And yes, I thought mine had a nasty as hell fungal infection as well. However Sandy from chams north west said it was a burn, Eric from chameleons 101 said it was a burn, and earlier today the vet confirmed it as a burn. But it sure looked "fungal" to me. With these animals its kind of hard to tell when something is wrong until its too late, or when you can tell its hard to tell what it is.

S.F

Thanks for the advice guys. I put some silvadene cream on him last night and could see some healing today aldready. Plus, he's shedding so I hope that can get the damaged skin off of him. :D

Back
Top Bottom