Blind Veiled Chameleon?!?

Karma&Mac=love

Hi, I’ve had my veiled chameleon for pretty much his whole 2 year life. A month ago he hadn’t been taking his food. I got a little worried so I started reading. Turns out he was fine. But for the past couple days, I’ve been noticing some strange things. He won’t accept his food, he rubs his eyes on the ground, he will only take water when it is on the screen of his cage. He walks very carefully and usually stays in one spot. Someone please help me, I’m so worried about my scaley baby!!!

In order to begin helping you, we'll need lots of info. There are always many things that can drastically affect the health of a chameleon. You'll be asked to fill out the answers to the following form. Please don't skip any info, as we need it all to ascertain the situation. It is hardly ever a cut and dry, "oh yeah, that's abc". There are almost always multiple possibilities

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome to the forums and I’m sorry to hear about your chameleons eyes. Please fill out the form above. He probably has a problem with his eyes such as an infection. Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a good vet with chameleon knowledge.

It is a male veiled chameleon. He is 2 1/2 years old and I’ve had him for 2 1/4 years.

I kind of avoid handling him because he used to be a feisty one, but I do pet him every time I feed and water him.

I try to feed him as much as he will take until he looses intrest and walks away. He usually takes 4-5 meal worms. We do this twice a day.Once a month he will get 10 crickets.

I do not dust the worms or crickets with anything, and I feed him the brand BugCo.

I spray his cage twice a day, and I “bottle feed” him. Bottle feeding is me dripping water slowly into his mouth.

He stays the same colors, a darker mint green. The eye I am concerned about deflates and puffs up most of the time.

He had refused food last month, but then took it after standing there for 10 minutes.

His cage is screened, and he is full grown so I made sure his cage is the correct size when he stopped growing.

He has reptizoo (not excavator sure what it is called)lighting and it stays around 80 degrees in the room he is in.

His cage is 3 feet of the floor and is in a bigger closet.

We are just moved to Pennsylvania from Florida , so we keep his room warm with heaters.

I am concerned that he is blinding his left eye. He has not been taking his food, and is very careful when walking. He will only take water when being “bottle fed” or when it is put in the screen of his cage. I really need help, I am so worried about Karma!!!

Welcome to the forums and I’m sorry to hear about your chameleons eyes. Please fill out the form above. He probably has a problem with his eyes such as an infection. Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a good vet with chameleon knowledge.
I live in Pennsylvania and he has never been to the vet before. He was treated before we took him to his forever home 2 years ago.

Please post a photo of your boy.

What part of PA do you live in? There’s a good vet near Reading. I will look for other vets now.
Dr. Achtel at Exeter Veterinary Hospital

Unless you are doing an unbelievably thorough job of gut loading your feeders which would be difficult on a mostly meal worm diet he likely has a serious vitamin, calcium and mineral deficiency from the lack of supplements. At this point he needs a dietary overhaul under the supervision of a good retile veterinarian to see his vision. i'm sure anyone jannb recommends would be a good choice.

Ok, thank you all for your help. I can not post pictures at the moment, maybe tomorrow morning. Reading is a hour and half away from me. I live in the Poconos. I will be getting different food over the weekend. Any recommendations on what I should be feeding him?

Ok, thank you all for your help. I can not post pictures at the moment, maybe tomorrow morning. Reading is a hour and half away from me. I live in the Poconos. I will be getting different food over the weekend. Any recommendations on what I should be feeding him?
A variety is best. But you HAVE to gut load. And you HAVE dust them with the appropriate things. Crickets, dubias, superworms, hornworms, and the occasional wax worms. However he needs a vet first.

Hi, I’ve had my veiled chameleon for pretty much his whole 2 year life. A month ago he hadn’t been taking his food. I got a little worried so I started reading. Turns out he was fine. But for the past couple days, I’ve been noticing some strange things. He won’t accept his food, he rubs his eyes on the ground, he will only take water when it is on the screen of his cage. He walks very carefully and usually stays in one spot. Someone please help me, I’m so worried about my scaley baby!!!
How often is he on the ground? Can you post pictures of his set up?

Can you post a picture of your cham and his cage please. What kind lighting are you using? thank you!!

I am sorry I did not post pictures, I did your guys’ recommendations on feeding him and I gave him a soak. He is eating now and becoming well. Thank you all for your help. Without you I’m sure he would be dead by now.

Back
Top Bottom