black tipped tail, help!

Is it possible he caught it on something? It could just be bruised. When I first got my chameleon, I shut his tail in the door like an idiot! It turned all black and I thought it was going to fall off. After a couple of days it turned back to normal. If it falls off it will not grow back like some other lizards. Just keep an eye on it and make sure the black part does not spread up the rest of the tail. The last pic it almost looks like it is kinked.

I guess it's possiblehe caught it on something, but I dunno what that could have been. he can still curl most of it, but the very tip of it wont curl like it used to. it doesnt seem to be bothering him, hes asleep on my bamboo plant right now. and he hasnt changed colors, stil his normal green.
Is there anyything i can do if it is a bruise?
I've only had him for a bit over a week and now he's trying to give me a heart attack!

Is it possible he caught it on something? It could just be bruised. When I first got my chameleon, I shut his tail in the door like an idiot! It turned all black and I thought it was going to fall off. After a couple of days it turned back to normal. If it falls off it will not grow back like some other lizards. Just keep an eye on it and make sure the black part does not spread up the rest of the tail. The last pic it almost looks like it is kinked.

Did your cham's tail look like mine's? What do I do if it does fall off? SHould I take him to a vet?

Yes the tail pretty much looked black on the end like that and he was able to curl it also. I am not sure what to do if it falls off, I just know they do not grow back. Same with their nails if they lose them below the skin. Maybe someone else on here has experience with the tail falling off and can offer you some advice on what to do if it does. hopefully it is just a bruise of some kind and will heal on its own like mine did.

Yes the tail pretty much looked black on the end like that and he was able to curl it also. I am not sure what to do if it falls off, I just know they do not grow back. Same with their nails if they lose them below the skin. Maybe someone else on here has experience with the tail falling off and can offer you some advice on what to do if it does. hopefully it is just a bruise of some kind and will heal on its own like mine did.

GOsh I hope so. I just wish I knew what happened, i mean he was almsot asleep and his tail was just fine when i went and turned off the lights, then when i went in to check on everything (as is my routine) i saw him asleep and his tail like this.. it freaked me out!

GOsh I hope so. I just wish I knew what happened, i mean he was almsot asleep and his tail was just fine when i went and turned off the lights, then when i went in to check on everything (as is my routine) i saw him asleep and his tail like this.. it freaked me out!

lol! Join the club of getting freaked out! I have never owned a pet in all my life that I worry about the way I do my chameleon!!!! You do mellow out after awhile though.:rolleyes:

Looks to me like a burn, but it's hard to say definitively.

cj

Im pretty sure its not a burn because when i went in at 8 pm to turn off his basking light it wasnt there, and he was towards the front of his cage mid-level, (light shines in back) and then when i went in to check, he was int he same spot asleep, and his tail was like this,

Might also be due constricted blood supply from dried unshed skin, though injury is possible too. If it falls off, treat the end with topical antibacterial, such as iodine or neosporin to prevent infection. :)

My female veiled lost the end of her tail due to her cage mate biting it. Its shorter and is kinda funny looking but it doesn't hurt her. Although everytime she sheds the end of her deformed tail bleeds a tiny bit. So every time she sheds i put a lil neosporin on it and wrap it for the day or two and it goes back to normal. Just watch it and hopefully it will go back to normal in a few days!

Well I dont think its from shedding because there was no skin on the tail that looked like i thad been shed, and hes only 4 weeks old. he has no cage mates, so unless he bit himself it wasnt that. I think he caught it on something and pinched it, thus creating a bruise. I mean he isnt stressed out and he just drank some water , hes also moving around just fine, so I guess I will just watch and wait.

Oh 4 weeks, I overlooked that, probably an injury then, hopefully it'll come good. :)

Yea, So I doubt he's ever shed. I'll keep everyone updated about his tail. I can only conclude that he pinched it and bruised it somehow. though how I wish I knew.

Yea, So I doubt he's ever shed. I'll keep everyone updated about his tail. I can only conclude that he pinched it and bruised it somehow. though how I wish I knew.

You received the animal with the injury; I mentioned his tail being pinched on your first post. See here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/pics-my-new-addition-54260/#post509661

The black part will probably dry up and fall off but definitely watch the area to see if it spreads up the healthy tail. A trip to the vet is warranted in this case.

You received the animal with the injury; I mentioned his tail being pinched on your first post. See here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/pics-my-new-addition-54260/#post509661

The black part will probably dry up and fall off but definitely watch the area to see if it spreads up the healthy tail. A trip to the vet is warranted in this case.

The black spot you said was an injury before I thought you were talking about was farther up his tail. Ill look into a vet visit for him. If it falls off it falls off, but I will def pay close attention to see if it spreads farther up his tail. At least he is so young that even if it falls off, it won't look to weird.

Shower is a miracle!

Hi everyone! Im here for the update!

I went and check on Camo about 10 minutes ago and took him out so I could see his tail. While examining him, I saw that his right knee seemed bruised, which I didn't see last night. So I'm thinking he fell and banged his knee (leg isnt broken he still uses it just fine) and tried to use his tail to catch him and pinched it. Well I decided to give him his first warm shower today (figured it couldn't hurt right) so I went and got my bamboo plant for him to sit on in the shower. I turned it on, place him in the shower spray and watched.
He sucked in his belly and puffed up like crazy, then climbed to the tallest leaf, stoof on his back legs and waved around like crazy ( I swear he was gonna fall). Then he chilled out and walked around a bit, He still kept puffing up once in a while, but I think he figured out a shower isn't bad.

When I took him out of the shower, I noticed the bruise on his knee was gone, and the black on his tail was halfway gone! I dunno how but I'm glad it worked!

On a happy side note, I think he is going to have orange bars on his face and back maybe cuz when he was puffing up i could see some orange lines that weren't there before!

Back
Top Bottom