Black Teeth

Juliana

hello all, just wondering if anyone has expirence with their veiled chameleons getting black teeth? It doesn’t seem to be mouth rot I’ve already gotten it checked out by a vet, she said she couldn’t see any visible sores. The only thing that he’s been eating is reptiboost and I’m wondering if that is what is turning his teeth black ? Thanks for your help

Could you fill out the ask for help form (link in my signature below)? Posting pics of your cham, his teeth, and his cage will help, as well

Could you fill out the ask for help form (link in my signature below)? Posting pics of your cham, his teeth, and his cage will help, as well
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Pascal, a veiled chameleon about 10 months old, have had him for 9 months.
  • Handling - Handle once every few days for hand feeding
  • Feeding - Doesn’t eat any live feeders anymore, gets hand fed liquid supplements such as reptiboost and another supplement prescribed by vet. Use to eat crickets, wax worms, butter worms, super worms, etc now doesn’t eat any live insects
  • Supplements - Vitamin D3, calcium, multivitamin. Give to him every few feedings
  • Watering - Have an automatic misting system called king mister it goes off every two hours for 45 seconds. I also bring him in the shower every few days with his feeding and he drinks in there and loves the humidity
  • Fecal Description - Brown with white urate most of the time. Poops a few days after being fed. He has never been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - All screen cage large extoterra
  • Lighting - Double light fixture, only heat bulb is working. Have a separate linear UVB light that covers most of the cage. Lights stay on just over 12 hours a day.
  • Temperature - Basking spot runs from 80-85 and right now in Canada it’s very cold so my room is only around 70.
  • Humidity - Levels range from 50% to 70% I have a humidifier and I just started covering two sides of the cage in plastic to keep in humidity.
  • Plants - pathos is the only live plant, rest are plastic.
  • Placement - cage is located in my room against a wall about a meter off my floor.
  • Location - Southern Ontario, Canada

Current Problem - My Cham hasn’t been eating live insects and now has black teeth but it doesn’t seem to be mouth rot. Vet said to keep an eye out for sores but I haven’t seen any.

Could you fill out the ask for help form (link in my signature below)? Posting pics of your cham, his teeth, and his cage will help, as well[/QUOT
The form is filled out below and these are two pictures of him, I haven’t gotten a chance to try and get a picture of his mouth yet

Attachments

• 2728026C-0C81-4939-9023-A8F003D75227.jpeg
    2728026C-0C81-4939-9023-A8F003D75227.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 609B0922-C696-4CA2-95C1-B2ED34CFD171.jpeg
    609B0922-C696-4CA2-95C1-B2ED34CFD171.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 0C1022D8-BE39-4EA4-AF28-9E6CBF8532E3.jpeg
    0C1022D8-BE39-4EA4-AF28-9E6CBF8532E3.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 84
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Pascal, a veiled chameleon about 10 months old, have had him for 9 months.
  • Handling - Handle once every few days for hand feeding
  • Feeding - Doesn’t eat any live feeders anymore, gets hand fed liquid supplements such as reptiboost and another supplement prescribed by vet. Use to eat crickets, wax worms, butter worms, super worms, etc now doesn’t eat any live insects
  • Supplements - Vitamin D3, calcium, multivitamin. Give to him every few feedings
  • Watering - Have an automatic misting system called king mister it goes off every two hours for 45 seconds. I also bring him in the shower every few days with his feeding and he drinks in there and loves the humidity
  • Fecal Description - Brown with white urate most of the time. Poops a few days after being fed. He has never been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - All screen cage large extoterra
  • Lighting - Double light fixture, only heat bulb is working. Have a separate linear UVB light that covers most of the cage. Lights stay on just over 12 hours a day.
  • Temperature - Basking spot runs from 80-85 and right now in Canada it’s very cold so my room is only around 70.
  • Humidity - Levels range from 50% to 70% I have a humidifier and I just started covering two sides of the cage in plastic to keep in humidity.
  • Plants - pathos is the only live plant, rest are plastic.
  • Placement - cage is located in my room against a wall about a meter off my floor.
  • Location - Southern Ontario, Canada

Current Problem - My Cham hasn’t been eating live insects and now has black teeth but it doesn’t seem to be mouth rot. Vet said to keep an eye out for sores but I haven’t seen any.
How come he’s not getting live insects anymore? What are the brands of supplements and exact schedule you use? Up the misting to 2 minutes each time, you may have to decrease times misted with that. He needs a minimum sized cage of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall, preferably bigger and preferably screen. What brand and strength of uvb? Basking should be higher for a veiled, the care sheet here in resources has proper temps.

Back
Top Bottom