Black spots around the neck...fungus?

GreenChameleons

Established Member
So I let my chameleon free range for 3 days outdoors under a close eye but those 3 days turned into almost 2 months slipped away. When I found the chameleon looked healthy but when it was basting in the light I noticed that there were black spots around the top of the neck I have looking and monitoring the humidity even more closely. Applied some anti fungal cream around the neck for the last 3 days shows a gradual change of it going away but it’s seems like it should be clearing up quicker.

So I let my chameleon free range for 3 days outdoors under a close eye but those 3 days turned into almost 2 months slipped away. When I found the chameleon looked healthy but when it was basting in the light I noticed that there were black spots around the top of the neck I have looking and monitoring the humidity even more closely. Applied some anti fungal cream around the neck for the last 3 days shows a gradual change of it going away but it’s seems like it should be clearing up quicker.
Pics would go a long way to helping us understand what’s going on.

And it’s crazy how fast they can slip away, isn’t it? I lost one of my veilds in my vegetable garden for three days one time! I was sure a bird had got him because I turned my back for less than 2 mins, that was all it took. My garden is about 25x50 but I couldn’t find him in the day time to save my life. Had to use the flashlight at night trick. How did you find yours?

Are you certain about the fungal diagnosis? He /she isnt just dirty or scratched up? I wouldn't treat the cham with topical chems until you know for sure what it is.. a vet check up after an adventure like that is probably in order.

Without a pic....can't tell much at all. Are the black areas patches or are they blackened skin tubercles? Look at his skin texture. Notice the rounded tubercle pattern? Are these black spots the same things....just blackened? They could be scabs from minor injuries. Fungus not very likely which is why you are not seeing much change. Did you try rubbing the black off with a warm wet cloth? It might just be surface soil (and by dabbing on the cream you happened to be removing part of it). If the black areas are more like patches they could be old scabs or even bruises. Also remember, herps do things more slowly than mammals. They heal slower, get over health problems slower too.

Pics would go a long way to helping us understand what’s going on.

And it’s crazy how fast they can slip away, isn’t it? I lost one of my veilds in my vegetable garden for three days one time! I was sure a bird had got him because I turned my back for less than 2 mins, that was all it took. My garden is about 25x50 but I couldn’t find him in the day time to save my life. Had to use the flashlight at night trick. How did you find yours?
I looked for it every day but finally gave up...
When I found It the chameleon was crawling on the steps on the porch If it did come out in the open I would have never found it.

Without a pic....can't tell much at all. Are the black areas patches or are they blackened skin tubercles? Look at his skin texture. Notice the rounded tubercle pattern? Are these black spots the same things....just blackened? They could be scabs from minor injuries. Fungus not very likely which is why you are not seeing much change. Did you try rubbing the black off with a warm wet cloth? It might just be surface soil (and by dabbing on the cream you happened to be removing part of it). If the black areas are more like patches they could be old scabs or even bruises. Also remember, herps do things more slowly than mammals. They heal slower, get over health problems slower too.

Here’s a photo

Attachments

• 0E178381-6F49-435A-A2BA-507767E2F612.jpeg
    0E178381-6F49-435A-A2BA-507767E2F612.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 95
Chameleons are slow healers whatever it is may take longer to clear up than it would in a mammal. If your treatment is working don't stop too soon and let it come back. As always the best idea is to have it checked by a good reptile vet. The damage may not disappear until he sheds next.

As much as I didn’t want aggravate the chameleon turns out it’s just dirt I used a natural earth soap on a small cloth and most of it came off thanks for the tips and help. Only the chameleon is probably stressed out but it’s better knowing than for sure.

Back
Top Bottom