Black spot spreading on tail?

emma_5774

Hello! I have posted a lot with my poor chameleon. I am doing everything experts are saying to do.Please do not assume that I do not know how to care for him! I have done all the research that I could possibly need. I am currently trying to get an appointment with a new vet, they have good reviews and my sister takes her beardie there. About a week ago I noticed a black spot on his tail and it looked like he cut it. I was concerned so I showed my dad and he was looking at it and when he touched it my cham got very upset. We figured that meant it hurt him. My dad said it was similar to a person getting cut. Its gonna hurt to touch but if you leave it alone it will heal in a few days. Well now the black has spread up his back everywhere it is black it hurts him. It also looks as if he is missing scales but I also think it could be the skin coming off like a scab to heal it. I am going to attach a photo of it the day after I noticed it and what it looked like this morning. My camera wouldnt pick up the black going up his back but it is there. I am not home currently but once I get home I will get more angles of it and in better lighting. While I wait for the vet to get back to me I figured it would not hurt to ask you guys! I really am trying and I feel like I am failing at my job as his owner. I just do not know what I am doing wrong. Someone told me a different home may be better for him. If the vet thinks that too then I will look for someone else to care for him. Thank you all for all the advice and help you have given me. I know it seems like I dont know anything because of how much I post on here but I just want to get the most information possible.

The image circled is the one taken today.

Attachments

• 34FD48F3-F5D0-4505-ADE0-7CAF95E26DB1.jpeg
    34FD48F3-F5D0-4505-ADE0-7CAF95E26DB1.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 88
  • A9F9E223-E428-4B15-A147-F03D068C45DC.png
    A9F9E223-E428-4B15-A147-F03D068C45DC.png
    907.8 KB · Views: 92
This is the baby that has had non stop issues since you got it, correct? May I ask where you bought the baby from?

This is going to need a vet. I can not tell if it is a wound or burn. But if it is a vet will need to treat it. They would typically use a topical and may use medication as well.

I want to comment about someone telling you that a different home may be better for him. I find that to be a horrible comment to tell any new keeper. If your husbandry is correct now and you are providing all the necessary care then you are doing what your supposed to do.

How hot is the basking area? Can you hold your hand back side up under the light as close to the light as you can inside your cage and see if you want to move it?
his basking spot normally reads 87 F. I have a thermometer that sits in his basking spot so i know at all times how hot or cold it is. i thought it could be a burn but its not hot enough for that to happen unless he was on the ceiling directly under it. and if that was the case why would the spot be on top of his tail and not on the underside??

This is the baby that has had non stop issues since you got it, correct? May I ask where you bought the baby from?

This is going to need a vet. I can not tell if it is a wound or burn. But if it is a vet will need to treat it. They would typically use a topical and may use medication as well.

I want to comment about someone telling you that a different home may be better for him. I find that to be a horrible comment to tell any new keeper. If your husbandry is correct now and you are providing all the necessary care then you are doing what your supposed to do.
I did research and saw a lot of people said CBReptiles was a good place to get chameleons from. I was going to get a veiled chameleon. A few days before he was supposed to be shipped out the breeders contacted us and said that the baby male veiled chameleons were not ready to be shipped yet, they said they would send us a male baby ambilobe panther chameleon with no extra charge. without thinking twice we agreed and now here we are. The vet I have contacted told us to call a vet hospital and they said it would be $230 just to see him and if he needs hospitalized it would be $1500+. I unfortunately can barely afford to take him. I would not be able to have him hospitalized. I do not want to put him down because I cannot afford to hospitalize him but I woulld not have any other choices. The vet told us to soak him in warm water 15 minutes 2 times a day. I tried that and he did not like sitting in the water. I know chameleons are not fans of being in a bowl of water but it is what the vet said to do. I am doing all I can to make sure he is getting the best care he can. I recently bought better vines for his cage as well as 2 new plants to sit on when he is out of his cage. His temperatures and humidity are exactly where they should be and he gets lots of variety in food. I have been told by many people that it is not my fault for all the issues he is having but I cannot help but think it is something i am doing to cause him to keep going downhill. I do not want to rehome him nor do I even know where to take him for a new home.

I did research and saw a lot of people said CBReptiles was a good place to get chameleons from. I was going to get a veiled chameleon. A few days before he was supposed to be shipped out the breeders contacted us and said that the baby male veiled chameleons were not ready to be shipped yet, they said they would send us a male baby ambilobe panther chameleon with no extra charge. without thinking twice we agreed and now here we are. The vet I have contacted told us to call a vet hospital and they said it would be $230 just to see him and if he needs hospitalized it would be $1500+. I unfortunately can barely afford to take him. I would not be able to have him hospitalized. I do not want to put him down because I cannot afford to hospitalize him but I woulld not have any other choices. The vet told us to soak him in warm water 15 minutes 2 times a day. I tried that and he did not like sitting in the water. I know chameleons are not fans of being in a bowl of water but it is what the vet said to do. I am doing all I can to make sure he is getting the best care he can. I recently bought better vines for his cage as well as 2 new plants to sit on when he is out of his cage. His temperatures and humidity are exactly where they should be and he gets lots of variety in food. I have been told by many people that it is not my fault for all the issues he is having but I cannot help but think it is something i am doing to cause him to keep going downhill. I do not want to rehome him nor do I even know where to take him for a new home.
So they are not the best breeder to buy from. Which you know now.

Per the baby. This is what the vet is saying now? The fact that they told you to soak the chameleon indicates they are not very familiar with chameleon care. You simply do not soak them. Temps are a bit hot at 87 I would drop them back to 80-85max.

Do you have any regular neosporin? The kind without any additional pain meds in it? Take a qtip and put a little bit on the black part. If it is a wound it will help. Issue is if it is not a wound trying to figure out what happened and if it is going to extend further up the tail. Bruising shows as black as well.

Has the mouth healed at all? Is baby eating on its own?

Holy crap! That is an expensive vet! I pay around $45 for the office visit and then plus whatever diagnostic tests and treatment is done. Where are you located? Maybe we can help you find a decently priced vet with chameleon experience.

I think you are doing an awesome job caring for your little guy. You’ve done your research and are doing your best! Don’t let others put you down! Your little guy is lucky to have you to care for him! Listen to @Beman and @MissSkittles . They know what they’re talking about. They’ll help you.

Back
Top Bottom