Black spot on panther chameleon

darthsquad

Hello. I have a 5 month old panther chameleon. We were on vacation and our mister stopped working. Our caretaker did not notice but our fogger worked through the entire trip. our chameleon started shedding and there was a piece that didn't come off. I cranked up the humidity and after 4 days it hadn't come off. I noticed today it looked dark under the shed so I used a warm, wet wash cloth to gently remove it. After it was removed I noticed 3 dark spots. Is this a bruise or is it some kind of infection I should be worried about?

Attachments

• 20220506_192149.jpg
    20220506_192149.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220506_191847.jpg
    20220506_191847.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 68
Looks like it might be a burn...but I can't be sure.
You can test your basking light by holding your hand inside the cage, back of your hand up as close to the light as possible and see if you want to move your hand. If you do, it's too hot for your chameleon and will likely burn it.

Was there any discolouration to the shed that was over it before it peeled off?

no discoloration to the shed but today it looked a little discolored under the shed. I took another pic and where the light/basking spot is. didnt feel too hot to my hand.

Attachments

• 20220506_204656.jpg
    20220506_204656.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220506_204645.jpg
    20220506_204645.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 68
Chameleon Academy
Got this off Chameleon academy:

Shedding

Description​

When chameleons grow they shed their skin. The first time this happens it truly looks like your chameleon has come down with a horrible mummy disease. To shed, the entire skin surface is separated from the new skin underneath by a fluid which evaporates and leaves the old skin to crack off and blow away (or be rubbed off). The nature of chameleons shedding means that it is important (not to increase humidity) as many advise. Increasing humidity will make it more difficult to shed because the chameleon relies on the evaporation to help the skin disengage.
A healthy shed can take a couple hours. The chameleons will suddenly “explode” in white shreds. An unhealthy shed, on the other hand can take days as pieces slowly fall off and some pieces left stuck on.

With that said. It probably is a scab or infection starting from pulling or him rubbing the shed off that area. Blood rushes to the surface and can create a scab or a possible infection. It could also be a fungal issue but really don't look it.

appreciate it. the plan is the just freaking out a bit and wanted to get piece of mind for the night that he's not going to be dead in the morning lol. thanks for the response

Your going to want a reptile vet for this... Looks like a burn to me. But the fact you got the area wet and rubbed it off is not recommended for chams. They are dry shedders. So just doing this if it was just a section that had not fully released yet you could have damaged the skin below.

What are your temps at the basking branch below the heat fixture? What wattage heat fixture are you using?

Back
Top Bottom