Black Solider Fly larvae

xxcham

How do you take care of black soldier fly larvae? like what do you feed them, can i gut load them with apples and carrots, what should they live like (in a bin) how do they drink water?? basically just flood we with information on black so older fly larvae lol.

Take all your organic waste, throw it in a compost heap with good drainage and air circulation. Throw in larva. They are basically blue bottle flies that eat veggies. You can literally raise them on uncooked pizza dough if you want :)

I transfer mine to a larger container with screen on top that they can not get through. and leave them in the substrate they come in. I do keep it moist. I do not feed mine however. They produce a nasty ammonia smell when fed. Like really bad lol.

I transfer mine to a larger container with screen on top that they can not get through. and leave them in the substrate they come in. I do keep it moist. I do not feed mine however. They produce a nasty ammonia smell when fed. Like really bad lol.
How do they stay alive then?

How do they stay alive then?

They are shipped in a combo of bran and fruit fly media.

They need good ventilation because they are literally liquefying it. The point of these is to turn garbage into chicken feeders.

Basically you want a box with a steel mesh bottom and an open top. The liquid drains so you dont get as bad of a smell.

The problem is once they are good eatin size, they go in the "great journey" and like Beman said, they will crawl out of the tub. Most chicken folk rig up a travel ramp so they journey up the ramp and into Mr chicken.

Yeah ^^^^ mine never die off. They will stay larvae until they pupate and then within a week or so you get flies.

Every now and then I toss in a small piece of veggie or greens for them and give a few light mists of water. I do wait for a couple of days after before feeding them to my chams though.

Back
Top Bottom