Black soldier fly

Jpeff

Chameleon Enthusiast
So got a dumb question. How do you get rid of black soldier fly. I got 3 of my bioactive cages with non stop Flys. Been using a vacuum to keep numbers down stopped using bsfl as feeder for about month now and there still an army of them. My veiled kills as fast as they pop up. My 2 partners and parson not keeping up with them or they just don't care. I see all of my chams eating them. Would I have to start bioactive over or just wait it out. I do have back up bioactive tubs of dirt with spring tails and isopod that have been going about 7 months

I don’t know of any way other than just letting them get eaten off I have some in my phant cages that they just can’t seem to grab a hold of which sucks but they live short lives and die off pretty quickly so I’d just endure it until that period comes

Wow to have them mate seems wonderful to me a full ecosystem probably not what you want tho uhhh maybe introduce a predatory invert to eat them? I’m not sure what and that could spell a few other issues replacing the soil is also an option but it throws away the progress the clean up crew made in reproducing and that’s a lot especially for a parsons sized enclosure that’s tough another option are carnivorous plants like pitcher plants

Might just put my veiled in other cages to clear them out. I do have back up dirt just in case I needed it. My parson in temp cage right now 2x4x4.

Sounds like a great problem to have!! Can you try and scoop the majority of larvae out of the soil and throw them in a compost bin or something? You could give to other keepers too.

I would wait them out, had a weird cycle of them hatching and breeding and they eventually thinned out.

i have random bsfl hatching in my non bioactive vivs :p Every once in a while one flys around and chams go nuts!!

Back
Top Bottom