Black Soldier Fly

Just to follow this up: does anyone know what exactly the nutrient loss is between larva and adult? Does it affect the ca-p ratio?

Dumb question, but how do you feed off the larva?

They are basically maggots living in rot. Every time i fed them off, the crew would just puke all of them back up. So is there some wash method people are using? Even the chicken people, they only feed off the ones that are going on "the great journey" that run up the ramp and onto the dirt by the chickens.

Just to follow this up: does anyone know what exactly the nutrient loss is between larva and adult? Does it affect the ca-p ratio?

I dont see how. The beetles have no mouth and only live a few days. Unless something magic happens and they can turn calcium into beetle shell or convert calcium to energy to live off of why "beetling". Im not a chemist but im pretty sure organic matter can only get energy from protein, fats, and carbohydrates.

They are basically maggots living in rot. Every time i fed them off, the crew would just puke all of them back up. So is there some wash method people are using? Even the chicken people, they only feed off the ones that are going on "the great journey" that run up the ramp and onto the dirt by the chickens.
Really? I haven’t had that experience. All my guys gobble the larva up, and I have yet to see one vomit from them. These are bsfl we’re talking about right? Not house flies or bluebottles.

I dont see how. The beetles have no mouth and only live a few days. Unless something magic happens and they can turn calcium into beetle shell or convert calcium to energy to live off of why "beetling". Im not a chemist but im pretty sure organic matter can only get energy from protein, fats, and carbohydrates.
Beetles?

Dont know the loss but I imagine they use the energy from the nutrients thr larvae carry to pupate. I heard the pupae are v good.

I rinse the media off mine and then pin them but otherwise I have never had that issue. I do pin mine since he had some pass and come out alive in the stool. Since pinning no issue with digesting them.

What is "pinning"?
Yep exactly what @Kaizen said. Beman inhales these as they are a favorite. It seems he never chews them so I take a sewing needle and pin them by poking the needle once through the middle of them. Crazy thing is these dang things can survive it. But he is able to digest them when I have already pinned them. I had live ones come out in stools on multiple occasions when he was younger so I have been doing it ever since then and have not had any issues with that or even undigested ones.

Yep exactly what @Kaizen said. Beman inhales these as they are a favorite. It seems he never chews them so I take a sewing needle and pin them by poking the needle once through the middle of them. Crazy thing is these dang things can survive it. But he is able to digest them when I have already pinned them. I had live ones come out in stools on multiple occasions when he was younger so I have been doing it ever since then and have not had any issues with that or even undigested ones.
Interesting. Mona definitely chews them, coza has yet to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom