Black Soldier Fly Larvae

Gf33

I just bought a 100 count of black soldier fly larvae. I was wondering what type of container you would keep these in, would you put anything (like oatmeal or soil) in the container, and any other advice you might have for keeping them?

I dump them in a clear container just so I can see them as they start to pupate and hatch out. But make sure the lid either has screen or tiny air holes or they will try to get out. I do not feed mine anything because they produce ammonia. I just keep them in the substrate they come in. I do have mine on heat so they hatch out a bit quicker.

You can pop them in the fridge for a bit to slow down their pupate stage. Just depends on if you're trying to feed the larvae or the flies. Both have their pros and cons.

Oh one more tip for keeping them is that they can climb smooth surfaces (like feeding cups) if they get wet. They can't climb smooth surfaces if they stay dry.

You can pop them in the fridge for a bit to slow down their pupate stage. Just depends on if you're trying to feed the larvae or the flies. Both have their pros and cons.

Oh one more tip for keeping them is that they can climb smooth surfaces (like feeding cups) if they get wet. They can't climb smooth surfaces if they stay dry.
Watch the temp and time in the fridge if you go that route. I killed 500 that way?

I dump them in a clear container just so I can see them as they start to pupate and hatch out. But make sure the lid either has screen or tiny air holes or they will try to get out. I do not feed mine anything because they produce ammonia. I just keep them in the substrate they come in. I do have mine on heat so they hatch out a bit quicker.
Ammonia?!

? ima stop feeding mine
Yeah it was not my best move... Had them on heat as well. decided to feed them because I felt bad for them. The next day I ran some errands and came home. Opened the cabinet that my bugs are in and thought I was going to pass out from the wave of odor. Had to sit outside and pick out the bsfl to move to a clean container. so many fun things happen with chameleon keeping. :hilarious:

Yeah it was not my best move... Had them on heat as well. decided to feed them because I felt bad for them. The next day I ran some errands and came home. Opened the cabinet that my bugs are in and thought I was going to pass out from the wave of odor. Had to sit outside and pick out the bsfl to move to a clean container. so many fun things happen with chameleon keeping. :hilarious:
? mine will only really eat bananas and it does smell really bad and they grow to twice the size I need them over night

Thanks! How long would you suggest putting them in the fridge for before it becomes harmful to them?

When I used to get them from Symton, I always kept them in the container they came in with the substrate they came in. The instructions were very clear not to refrigerate, as most refrigerators are set below 55F. I've heard of some folks using wine coolers (refrigerators) that can operate at higher temps.

I found my basement floor stays around 55 year-round, so I kept them a little above that. I used a temp gun to monitor.

Is it okay to feed your chameleon black soldier fly larvae as their main source of food, instead of crickets?

I just ordered 200 and they will be here Friday but it's cold where I live... Hope they survive. And I got 12 hornworms.

Back
Top Bottom