Black soldier fly larvae help

Hazy93!!

Hello there! I have been feeding my chameleon black larvae flies However, I’m having a hard time keeping them in the feeding bowl. Every so often I see I few on the ground around the house and I’m starting to get in trouble with my spouse.. my lie of it must have came in from outside will only work so much longer 💀 Does anyone have any recommendations?

I did make his feeding bowl myself so please don’t be to hard on me 🤣 but if this is my issue I will be more then happy to purchase a new one.

Attachments

• DC9AFF1E-1BDD-4F52-8834-8F3E5858DF06.jpeg
    DC9AFF1E-1BDD-4F52-8834-8F3E5858DF06.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 83
You need to wax the side of the feeders. This is also par for the course with "beetles" that can climb glass. generally a 1 inch layer would do it.

Coconut can work in cooler (80f) environments.

I make my own lip balm out of bee's wax and coconut, and just heat it up a bit and smear. it wont melt till above 90f. I find straight bees wax doesnt stick and just flakes off.

You can also use Vaseline, but it gets messy real quick.

You need to wax the side of the feeders. This is also par for the course with "beetles" that can climb glass. generally a 1 inch layer would do it.

Coconut can work in cooler (80f) environments.

I make my own lip balm out of bee's wax and coconut, and just heat it up a bit and smear. it wont melt till above 90f. I find straight bees wax doesnt stick and just flakes off.

You can also use Vaseline, but it gets messy real quick.
Thank you so much!!

I put my black soldier fly larvae in a plastic bird cup that can hang on the inside of the cage and they don’t climb the sides.

That’s a lot of feeders in your feeding station. What kind of chameleon and how old is it?
When I feed bsfl, I’ll put them alone in a small cup and hold it out for my cham to eat those first. That way I can make sure all are eaten while at the same time working on reinforcing trust with my cham. Wet bsfl can climb just about anything, but it does take them a bit longer to escape from this little bowl. https://www.amazon.com/AUEAR-Reptil...7&sprefix=reptile+feeding+cup,aps,124&sr=8-23

That’s a lot of feeders in your feeding station. What kind of chameleon and how old is it?
When I feed bsfl, I’ll put them alone in a small cup and hold it out for my cham to eat those first. That way I can make sure all are eaten while at the same time working on reinforcing trust with my cham. Wet bsfl can climb just about anything, but it does take them a bit longer to escape from this little bowl. https://www.amazon.com/AUEAR-Reptile-Chameleon-Supplies-Accessories/dp/B08MHJL18H/ref=sr_1_23?crid=3VEJ6ITH0YOJI&keywords=Reptile+feeding+cup&qid=1669940857&sprefix=reptile+feeding+cup,aps,124&sr=8-23
I glue flat heavy rocks to all my bowls so they dont go flying from the tongue!

Keeping the sides dry is important BSFL can only climb well when wet.
I have to be sure that he ate them all before the mistking goes off. I use a ceramic ramakin that I got at a thrift store it is deep enough to keep most feeders in without fear of escape unless the mister goes off and gets anything wet then BSFL are master escape artists.

Back
Top Bottom